• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the procedure for tranfering your work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I am installing the Win RC7 today and rebuilding, I want to save my work and transfer it, I would rather not finsish what I have on this rig cuase there is a lot(Should have planned ahead I know)

Can I move the whole boinc folder? Than I'll finsish on the new build. I don't see a Rosetta folder.

Thanks

Is this my answer it will be the same CPU, infact all the parts will be the same but I am switching Mobo's.

Q. Can I move work from one computer to another?
A. The short answer is, yes it is possible. BUT, the true answer is that moving work from one machine to another is neither recommended or supported by the Rosetta@home project team. One major problem with moving the work between systems occurs when the work is finished and ready to upload. The entire BOINC system is designed such that the computer that originally downloaded a work unit must also return the work unit. So systems statistics, credit claims and many other elements of the BOINC system would no longer operate as they were designed.

In addition, some work is actually customized to some degree based on the processor to which it will be send. Even if the work is successfully downloaded to a machine, moved to another machine and processed, and then moved back such that it is returned by the correct machine, the process could still adversely affect the results that are returned in unpredictable ways.

Last edited:
If your install was default, you will have a BOINC folder in a system directory (which you have to have "view hidden and system files" checked in Windows explorer to even see), called "\All Users\AppData\Boinc\projects\boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta".

I would copy over the "projects" folder, and all it's sub-folders, just to be safe, after installing BOINC manager, with the same options you chose previously.

You should have no problems if you're moving from one version of Windows 7, into another version of Windows 7. I don't know about switching mobo's or other system parts, though. That's how BOINC keeps track of what computer has what WU's. Even changing from Linux to Windows, causes BOINC to set up the very same computer, as a new one, and track it separately. I'm sure it would do the same thing if you changed cpu's, and possibly other components as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer Adak.

What is the exact way to stop getting work...I can not find that setting?

I will finish up the work on fah and Rosetta and then blow every thing away either tomorrow or next Sat.

Click on "Project" on the Top part of the main window in BOINC Manager. Then on the left hand side, click on "No New Tasks".

It will change to say "Allow New Tasks", but you'll get no new work unless you click on that button, again.

Alternatively, you can highlight all tasks and click Abort. This will gracefully release and send back all WUs. I did this before the chimp challenge, as the deadlines were going to pass before it ended. Note you'll have to click yes or hit return for each WU aborted.

Once done, update the project again, and all the aborted WUs will vanish.

This is essentially the same procedure eaglescouter told everyone at the end of the Gauntlet a couple years ago. Aborting the WUs helps any BOINC project run more efficiently.

Back