• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the safest,"best" CPU temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He means most people should set Maximum Allowable Temp to 60C, but if you're managing to keep your system as cool as you say, then you could set yourself more rigorous standards. Perhaps an alarm at 55C in addition to Emergency Shutdown at 60C.

Someone just needs to invent a peltier that monitors itself and the ambient temp and functions accordingly...

... Say...that's not a bad idea. Why hasn't anyone invented such a thing?

Wait a minute, it seems they have! http://www.overclockers.com/articles424/

EDIT: You know, what they really need to do is support some kind of interface with the motherboard itself so they can get access to the core diode and case-ambient temperature readings, and then echo temperature reports both to an LCD (perhaps mounted in a drive bay) and to a software app something like MBM5. Then offer a digital temp adjustment on the drive face that can be redundant with a software-based temp control within the application, so that physical interface can be used when you're just messing around in the BIOS and either can be used when you're up and running in your OS. Yeah. Simple.

Last edited:
actually, if you temperature is not that far below ambient, and you make sure you have excellent insulation, condensation is not that much of a problem.

Does the life of a cpu at stock speed differ from running at 30c vs 50c anyway? I'm sure a lot of premade systems with retail hsfs run fairly hot but it's all within amd temp specs.

I think my temperature is best :)
(see sig)

Never had any condensation problems (running for months), and its nice and chilly.

Really I think its mostly about preference. As long as its below 55-60 load, you will be stable- but of course your oc wont be that great.

I'm not sure how much I trust the effectiveness of TT's system though...

even with the Swiftech's aircooled TEC cooler, 70w can only be cooled down to ambient...

I think 50C...Over that and my stuff seems to start taking a performance hit...Over 60C they take a noticable performance hit...So under 50C is the "Holy Grail" for me...:)...But I set mine for 60C...If they get over 60C then something is wrong...Gotta love those Lian-Li T-4 temperature monitor racks...Shucks they even look good...BIOS and MBM5...I dont think so...:D...But all shuckin and jivin aside 60C is a good number in my book...:p

Last edited:
Hookem said:
I think 50C...Over that and my stuff seems to start taking a performance hit...Over 60C they take a noticable performance hit...So under 50C is the "Holy Grail" for me...:)...But I set mine for 60C...If they get over 60C then something is wrong...Gotta love those Lian-Li T-4 temperature monitor racks...Shucks they even look good...BIOS and MBM5...I dont think so...:D...But all shuckin and jivin aside 60C is a good number in my book...:p

ya 60 is a bout right. Something is definetly wrong if you pass that.

I flip out if i exceed 40!!! lol even tho my temps are 36°Load and dont budge :D

My processor hits 28C maximum under 100% load or so says core temp, it is a FX-6100 OC'd to 4GHZ I feel.. good.

to the OP, I believe you mean safe 'loaded' temperature.

and i will say TjMax - 10'C is considered quite safe.
for idle temperature, it really has more to do with ambient than system. :)

Back