• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rockafella134

Specs first
1.3Ghz
128 ram
integrated GPU
( Yea, I know)

Basically my dad took the RAM out and put it wrong ( Yea, I know). Then I told him he put it wrong and I put it the right way. The thing is now that PC only turns on for a minute and then it shuts off. I was thinkin if something is overheating and automatically shuts off but Im not sure. Anyone knows?

WHat do yuo mean by put the ram in wrong? ( backwards )

Try to reset the CMOS and see if it will boot. Does it give any errors before it shuts down? Are you behind a router? Did you use a firewall?

Kendan said:
WHat do yuo mean by put the ram in wrong? ( backwards )

Try to reset the CMOS and see if it will boot. Does it give any errors before it shuts down? Are you behind a router? Did you use a firewall?

I think it wasnt even in correctly. I cant really remember. Its kinda hard because I dont have the access to the computer since my dad allready give it to his friend. His friend is told me on the phone what happened. I wasnt sure so I came here.

I dont think it is behind a router or firewall for now.

Rockafella134 said:
I think it wasnt even in correctly. I cant really remember. Its kinda hard because I dont have the access to the computer since my dad allready give it to his friend. His friend is told me on the phone what happened. I wasnt sure so I came here.

I dont think it is behind a router or firewall for now.

Was he connected to the net? What OS and What service pack.

It is very bad to connect to the net without a router/firewall and he very well could have a virus.

Did it ever work for him?

Tried booting a Dos disk? Or just boot with the cd.
If it shutdowns then, recheck the wiring, and components.

//Christian

Rockafella134 said:
He wasnt connected. He cant install anything because it shuts down after a minute.

You didn't asnwer my other 2 questions:

What OS and What service pack?

Did it ever work for him? Or even you for that matter?

Kendan said:
You didn't asnwer my other 2 questions:

What OS and What service pack?

Did it ever work for him? Or even you for that matter?
Sorry. Its windows XP with SP2 I believe. Well it worked before my dad tried to do something with the RAM.

I am not sure how it is possible to put in the RAM backwards completely, because the DIMM slots have that notch in the middle which has to line up with the one on the module or it won't go all the way in and the tabs won't close.

winterhavok said:
I am not sure how it is possible to put in the RAM backwards completely, because the DIMM slots have that notch in the middle which has to line up with the one on the module or it won't go all the way in and the tabs won't close.

I'm pretty sure that it's possible with SD-Ram. I ****ed up my first rig doing that.

Well yeah, if I remember correctly there was no notch for the SDRAM and EDO Memory, but I know both RDRAM and DDR have that "safety" notch.

Kendan said:
If it was working before your dad messed with it, then why did your dad mess with the ram?
Seriously I have no idea why. I dont even have that version of ram I think its P-133 or something like that.

threeme2189 said:
try replacing the ram with a different stick that you know works and see if it solves the problem.be sure to put it in correctly.

btw what do you see on the screen wwhen you turn on the computer?
Nothing.

Back