• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your air cooling case setup like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm using a Cooler Master CM690 Stacker. Since the door fans are pointed in, I have the rear 120mm and the two front 120mm fans pointing outwards.

Door fan setup:
running_partial_2.JPG

Door fan setup open with old wiring setup:
running_partial_3.JPG

Updated inside picture (less cables):
wmgt_3-27-2011_4.JPG

Case closed, pulls in through the mesh:
case_finished_7.JPG

Front with the door off, to show the fans. These are pulled from a Norco 470 server chassis.
running_partial_1.JPG

WOW dude. When I saw the door with 4 120s I thought WOW then I saw what you have over it. What a case. HATS OFFFFFF!!

Wow

BTW I think I slim profile 120mm will fit where you are missing a fan due to your heatsink. There are a few that move decent CFM.

Those are actually 140mm fans. For the fourth, there is no spacing and I wouldn't want a fan there anyway. It is the top of the heatsink and the 38mm thick fans would block any airflow.

myrig20111203001.png

Shot it tonight. Six intake fans (one on the side panel). No exhaust fans. Also, no rear grill and no slot pillars -- thank you Klein nibbler.

Any reason you don't use a rear fan? That will help lower case temps by exhausting the hot air from your heatsink.

Any reason you don't use a rear fan? That will help lower case temps by exhausting the hot air from your heatsink.

All six fans in the case are fairly low rpm. The air flows gently and quietly.

1. A rear fan is not needed when there is no grill.

2. Any rear fan that would add appreciably to passive outflow would make too much noise.

3. The heatsink has a pull fan. The air from the pull fan entrains case air and aids in exhausting a case. When there is no grill there is no resistance that needs to be overcome. So the heatsink needs no further assistance.

Here is an old shot of an experiment when I had no operating case fans. The only fans running were the two on the Megahalems:

snocasefans014.png

Here is a shot of the sort of inflow you can induce with just heatsink fans running:

snocasefans019.png

Even with the top completely open, the inflow was enough to hold a tissue up to the lower front intake position.

In that experiment, no case fans were used. With intake fans airflow is increased. You never get a positive pressure case because no pressure can build up: no impediments to the flow, and the flow only goes where I want it to go.

All fans point inwards.

IMG_1846.JPG

I don't know if you can see it, but there are two fans on the left of the picture. All of the case fans are undervolted v low speed.

Got my new stuff on friday. Finally got it all installed.

Photo060.jpg

Photo063.jpg

Kind of a tight squeeze but everything works better and much quieter. I'm kinda forced to use the h80 rad as an exhaust. The stock coolers on the 570s were exhausting before, but now that's gone.

Edit: my blue strip lights are coming next week, OCnoob :D

myrig20111203001.png

This is awesome. I love your no outflow idea. Any reason you 'lean back' some of your fans at the front?

The 140mm in the 5.25 bay just sits that way -- there's not quite enough room for it to stand straight up, I think.

The 120mm pulling air through the 3.5 bay and helping with HD cooling is held on by a single ziptie. It has a finger guard on the intake side. the SATA cable coming off the SSD in the 3.5 bay pushes on the finger guard, just enough to push it out of straight down.

The Turboloota.

Tried to do something about the 560TI temperatures with the fan under it but no change :/ idling at 45c is quite high imo @ stock, sometimes it's running under 40c depending on the position of the case but I just think that it's bugging etc. What do you think about the temperatures?

Attachments

• IMG_4730asd.JPG
    IMG_4730asd.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 778
Noticed most of you have a push/pull setup. I have a Zalman with a stock 120 MM fan on it. Any recommendations on how I can improve on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059

In my tests on the Megahalems and on the D14 I have not seen much gain come from a pull fan. Yet if you remove your rear grill, air will leave your case without resistance, and a pull fan on your heatsink will entrain the case air and pull it along as it leaves the case.

You haven't specified your case. You have too many devices in your 5.25 bays to put an intake fan there, but if you have space for a top intake that can push air down in front of the heatsink, you can do that and improve the cooling your heatsink does.

The Turboloota.

Tried to do something about the 560TI temperatures with the fan under it but no change :/ idling at 45c is quite high imo @ stock, sometimes it's running under 40c depending on the position of the case but I just think that it's bugging etc. What do you think about the temperatures?

Your load temps are more important than your idle temps.

One thing you can do is to remove the slot covers from your backplane. That will give the air an easier way to get out. In my own case, since I have a nibbler I just cut out all the pillars between the slots, so the slot space has no impediments to airflow.

In my tests on the Megahalems and on the D14 I have not seen much gain come from a pull fan. Yet if you remove your rear grill, air will leave your case without resistance, and a pull fan on your heatsink will entrain the case air and pull it along as it leaves the case.

You haven't specified your case. You have too many devices in your 5.25 bays to put an intake fan there, but if you have space for a top intake that can push air down in front of the heatsink, you can do that and improve the cooling your heatsink does.

Here is my case. I have a 140 mm top fan already

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

I am not pulling bad temps now but if I can squeeze some more life out of my system it would be worth it.

Your load temps are more important than your idle temps.

One thing you can do is to remove the slot covers from your backplane. That will give the air an easier way to get out. In my own case, since I have a nibbler I just cut out all the pillars between the slots, so the slot space has no impediments to airflow.

Yes I know, just comparing the idle temperatures with geeks3d test and they were having 33c idle stock. Ofcourse when in closed case the temps will rise but still, from 33c to 45-46c? I'm getting 80c+ after one min of furmark so I think I've got some temp problems. 86c after 2mins.

Yes I know, just comparing the idle temperatures with geeks3d test and they were having 33c idle stock. Ofcourse when in closed case the temps will rise but still, from 33c to 45-46c? I'm getting 80c+ after one min of furmark so I think I've got some temp problems. 86c after 2mins.

You still need to specify your case. You might want either a side panel fan that blows inward or a side panel fan that exhausts air, if you have sufficient air from elsewhere.

Back