• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats your thoughts on a FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikpthegame

Whats everyones thoughts on a fx-6300 cpu for a budget gaming rig? I just found a old case and want something other than my laptop to play on.

I just upgraded my old Gaming PC from an FX-6300 to an i5-4590. FX-6300 does decent with a mid range card (R9 270x or GTX 760/960) but it bottlenecking my GTX 970 significantly on games like Crysis 3 and Arma III. I would get an i5 just for the sheer power, lower power consumption/heat, and obviously the upgrade ability!

Whats everyones thoughts on a fx-6300 cpu for a budget gaming rig? I just found a old case and want something other than my laptop to play on.
The FX 6300 is quite capable with a good overclock. I have no troubles running a eye-candy modded Skyrim however, I don't game at 1080p..
Personally, the 6300 is more thanI need.

However, if you are planning on playing newer titles, go Intel. They just beat AMD FX in almost every game.
All you'd need is an i5. 6600K comes to mind, or a used Z97 setup will do as well and be cheaper. 4790K would be beast :)
If you want to play high resolutions too, as DanielGj said, Intel will not put a glass ceiling on your GPUs. If you are going SLI/Crossfire, Intel for sure.

Bottom line, Intel kills in the gaming arena.

If you can pick Intel in similar price then go for it. I mean in some games even stock clocked i3 will be faster and easier to keep cool and quiet.
My experience with AMD CPUs for gaming and general work is rather bad so I simply won't recommend any AMD CPU. Saying that I will only add that I had 3 FX CPUs and 2 FM2+ APU which I sold as out of overclocking/benchmarking all that was disappointing.

Thanks for the info, I think what I'll do for now is just go with the amd, and the upgrade down the line. Intel is just more than I wanna spend right now. I found a deal to get a asus mb like $50 if I buy the cpu so I'd be saving some money. Plus then I'd have parts to teach my son how to build when I upgrade lol.

This is why Intel is usually better choice even if you don't have high budget. To keep AMD quiet and be able to OC without issues you have to pay some more for a good motherboard and better cooling.
So simply I'm not saying that AMD is pure evil but to calculate all costs.

I upgraded to an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 from a Gigabyte 990fx UD3 Rev 1.0.
For AMD, don't use Gigabyte motherboards. They are hit or miss whether they are good or not.

Grab the Sabertooth I mentioned as it's a well known solid board that won't limit your OC potential.
Now, if you're looking for the higher overclock you can get you'll need watercooling. These FX chips get hot.
If you are looking for about ~4.6Ghz a NH-D14 air cooler will do. :)

Just my .02 I'm running my Fx 6300 daily right now on a Asus M5A99X evo motherboard Oced to 4.5 Ghz. I play BF4 with it and a GTX 780 without any issues whatsoever. I also compared it to my 4770k and 6700k both Oced to 4.4 and 4.8 Ghz respectively. With the GTX 780 on board both the Intel setups I was only seeing on average about 6-7 Fps more, then on the 6300. This is all playing at 1080p. Now I've found that Bf4 isn't a hugely demanding game on the Cpu and I'm sure there are some that will see a much bigger difference. For the most part if mated to a midrange or better motherboard such as the M5A99x you'll be fine in most cases. Heed the advice above though, do not cheap out on the motherboard.

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've had a desktop, like since the nf3 chips set was the thing to run. I know about cooling, I used to water cool my system send oc the keck out of it. It's gonna be fun learning all the settings on these setups these days, I'm sure ram timing is a lot different. For the most part I'll be playing minecraft with some buddies from work, but I'm sure I'll venture into other games also. But I'll always come here for questions and advice, always loved it here, been a member for over 10 years.

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've had a desktop, like since the nf3 chips set was the thing to run. I know about cooling, I used to water cool my system send oc the keck out of it. It's gonna be fun learning all the settings on these setups these days, I'm sure ram timing is a lot different. For the most part I'll be playing minecraft with some buddies from work, but I'm sure I'll venture into other games also. But I'll always come here for questions and advice, always loved it here, been a member for over 10 years.

You can safely expect 200+ FPS with vanilla Minecraft then.
I run a heavily modded Minecraft 1.7.10 with the shaders mod and the FX system gets a steady 75 FPS with dips to 60FPS in certain areas.
Of course YMMV depending on your GPU.

Ram tweaking is fun on these FX's. On some chips you'll have to bump up the CPU/NB volts (not NB volts.... there's 2 northbridges. One on the mobo one on the CPU) to get RAM stable over certain speeds. I know Mandrake had to bump his CPU/NB v to get his ram stable at 1866 IIRC.
I usually set the CPU/NB volts to 1.3 anyway for stability.

Lots of knobs to twist with FX, you'll love it. :)

Other things to consider... FX-8300 isn't really much more than 63xx...

Also is overclocking Skylake i3's on z170 motherboards still viable? Though you need DDR4 for that. Plus has anyone actually documented doing this yet in a for real build, and not just some review tests?

EDIT ADD: So I just looked up skylake i3, and they're starting at $150. Ugh... Zen can't get here soon enough. So scratch that one... :bang head

Other things to consider... FX-8300 isn't really much more than 63xx...

Also is overclocking Skylake i3's on z170 motherboards still viable? Though you need DDR4 for that. Plus has anyone actually documented doing this yet in a for real build, and not just some review tests?

EDIT ADD: So I just looked up skylake i3, and they're starting at $150. Ugh... Zen can't get here soon enough. So scratch that one... :bang head

I agree on the Fx 8300 being almost the same money, but you need more cooling and a quality board to run one Oced. For gaming in most instances one will not see any difference in running a 6300 over a 83xx. Additionally, on moderate cooling one will also likely be able to Oc the 6300 further then the 83xx.

As far as Ocing the i3 yes there are members here that have them Oced. Though since it's been known that they are able to be Oced, their prices have gone up.

The mobo in my sig runs my FX 6350 at 4400 MHz with all voltages at default settings. It won't run 4450 MHz no matter how much voltage I throw at it. An 83xx will give a reverse sliding scale on this board. Ignoring the random Giga board that will OC an FX , 4400-4500 is pretty much maxed out on the FX chips on anything less than a Sabrekitty or CHV. Yes , there are exceptions. But they are as much luck as anything else. As mentioned above , cooling will start to be a real concern tweaking an octocore till it Hertz. :)
The i3 is a cute little chip , and single threaded benchmarks make it look like a viable alternative , but open several browser tabs , rip a DVD , and play a game that uses 4 cores , and the novelty will wear off , IMO.

The mobo in my sig runs my FX 6350 at 4400 MHz with all voltages at default settings. It won't run 4450 MHz no matter how much voltage I throw at it. An 83xx will give a reverse sliding scale on this board. Ignoring the random Giga board that will OC an FX , 4400-4500 is pretty much maxed out on the FX chips on anything less than a Sabrekitty or CHV. Yes , there are exceptions. But they are as much luck as anything else. As mentioned above , cooling will start to be a real concern tweaking an octocore till it Hertz. :)
The i3 is a cute little chip , and single threaded benchmarks make it look like a viable alternative , but open several browser tabs , rip a DVD , and play a game that uses 4 cores , and the novelty will wear off , IMO.
I agree Alaric, I'm actually running my Fx 6300 on a similar M5A99X Evo board and both my Fx 6300 and 8350 stop dead in their tracks at 4.5 on it. It's a really good board if one doesn't want to push to extremes. Both chips on my higher end Sabertooth and Chv have run 5.0+ stable 2 hours.

I've followed some of your exploits , and your experiences were a big part of post #6. In fact you , Rgone , and Janus67 are the folks who made me realize my mobo is a tier short of serious OC with my chip. The rig is close to being retired to HTPC duty , so there is no need to upgrade the board at this point. Unless one of you guys comes up with a deal on a Kitty in the next month or so...... It's a disease , I tell 'ya!

I've followed some of your exploits , and your experiences were a big part of post #6. In fact you , Rgone , and Janus67 are the folks who made me realize my mobo is a tier short of serious OC with my chip. The rig is close to being retired to HTPC duty , so there is no need to upgrade the board at this point. Unless one of you guys comes up with a deal on a Kitty in the next month or so...... It's a disease , I tell 'ya!

I have a CHVF-Z :)

It's sad now that I'm back to this site after many years I can't get in the clissifieds. I'd love to buy from members, heckhart I sold here in the classifieds back when I had a abit nf2 board. So I've used them b4 but there's new rules now.

Back