• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats your thoughts on a FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The "8 cores running" is another issue I forgot to mention. If they hit their rated speed , there is a good chance two cores (or more) have been dropped to do so. I forget where I saw that , but it was from someone who was trying to bench at stock speeds. The 9xxx chips seem to be all hype and heat and very little performance.

9590 is ironic, appears to possibly require more Vcore for the same frequency that an 8370 can do with less Vcore!

And possibly requires a ton of Vcore for 4.7! And 8370s seem to hardly require more Vcore at that frequency!

While a FX-9590 at stock fully loaded is running 4.7ghz, seldom passes 1.4250v. However while the same stock processor will Turbo to 5ghz it can request 1.5250v (roughly) at any given time while the other cores may be at their lowest P-state. At this point the Cpu is still 220w at maximum power consumption.

We can assume any FX processor overclocked between 4.7 and 5.0ghz to be near that 220w envelope and plenty of heat dissipation is required.

Thus we see average overclocks on air cooling to maybe 4.4ghz and on liquid with a decent custom loop to 4.8ghz.

After de-lidding my FX-9590, I was able to curve temperatures enough to obtain a stable 5.2ghz implementing a lot of radiator and used a Copper plate that was considerably larger than the stock IHS plate. With the extra copper, I was able to absorb a little extra heat in which gave the waterblock time to dissipate.

But I will additionally comment that the FX-9590 is THE pickiest processor when overclocking. It does not like under volting not one bit and will hang. The Cool and Quiet plus C1E really shows this while inadequately cooled.

FX-9590, I had written temp numbers down while testing to acquire power and cooling demands of this particular processor. It seemed to like very very cool temps and are not easily obtained with any type of AIO units and certainly no air cooling could provide.

Last note: FX-9590 needs no stability testing via software at 4.7ghz. However it's cooling does need testing.

You may not need it as much with the 6300 as with the 83xx chips. I know with my 6300 my socket temp will usually stay around the same as the cores, even when pushing hard. On the other hand the Fx 83xx when pushing without the fans on the VRM and backside of the mobo was running +20c higher on the socket. With the fans I'm only +8-10c.

Hey its not gonna hurt to not have it lol. Once I save up for a new case and water cooling I'll add the fan to the back side also

So just out of curiosity, would it be a worthwhile idea to get the FX 9590 down the line?

You know, the AMD processor and motherboard forums need a sticky about the FX 9xxx series. Especially when there were processor + motherboard bundles being offered where the bundled FX 9xxx would euthanize the included motherboard.

Something that says that FX 9xxx series is only good if a)You already have a high-end motherboard and b)Your workload might benefit from high clocks bursts using fewer than 3 cores.

Then point out that if you have a system that can actually handle that, an 83xx can give you at least 4.6GHZ for all 8 threads, all the time.

I'm not picking on anyone - it just drives me nuts that now with AMD dumping the FX 9xxx chips w/o heatsink these days, and how if you don't know you pick one up as being "better than 83xx" and it's this can o' worms. I don't think AMD really thought this one out... or maybe they didn't have a choice. And it tarnishes their rep. And if you look at my avatar it makes me sad.

Last edited:
Hey its not gonna hurt to not have it lol. Once I save up for a new case and water cooling I'll add the fan to the back side also
Nope, it's not going to hurt, I agree. It can only help so if you have a spare fan or two it's a good idea especially if you're planning on pushing. A lot of people do not realize how much power these Fx 6/8 series cpus draw when one starts pushing them. Note this is on my 8350 @ 5.2+ with my GTX 580 overclocked pretty high, I knew they used a lot of power but I never thought this much. That's 827 w from the wall 1 cpu and 1 gpu. :facepalm:

wattage.PNG

Dang that's a lot of power. Anyways got my mobo from Evil-Mobo today, but it didn't have the backplate. I need one to hook my heatsink up to, but I think he's gonna help me out cause he didn't realize it didn't have one.

What heatsink are you using? If it's the stock heatsink you can find the backplates pretty cheap on Ebay.

You know, the AMD processor and motherboard forums need a sticky about the FX 9xxx series. Especially when there were processor + motherboard bundles being offered where the bundled FX 9xxx would euthanize the included motherboard.

Something that says that FX 9xxx series is only good if a)You already have a high-end motherboard and b)Your workload might benefit from high clocks bursts using fewer than 3 cores.

Then point out that if you have a system that can actually handle that, an 83xx can give you at least 4.6GHZ for all 8 threads, all the time.

I'm not picking on anyone - it just drives me nuts that now with AMD dumping the FX 9xxx chips w/o heatsink these days, and how if you don't know you pick one up as being "better than 83xx" and it's this can o' worms. I don't think AMD really thought this one out... or maybe they didn't have a choice. And it tarnishes their rep. And if you look at my avatar it makes me sad.

I did a write up but was denied Sticky status. However you can find a link through the stickies from RGone creations and requires a tab bit of digging.

But for now, I'll drop this link here you can read for the time being. Hope it is informative, perhaps you could add to it or maybe some questions.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

Ah from Illinois! Hello neighbor!

No, the ninja co.e with a backplate for intel, it wants you to use the stock amd one for amd.

Back