• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When can Voltage Increases be Destructive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you want higher, im afriad you need a new mobo...

What would a new motherboard offer that this one does not? This has all the settings I could want, plus the option to go SLI if I ever want to?

The only thing I can see a new motherboard doing is allowing me to use the newer i7 chips. and possibly 1/2 multiplier settings like 8.5x.

The best thing I can think of is to try and make certain the next CPU I get has an unlocked multiplier.
And get better memory higher than the 4 sticks of 800MHz (PC2 6400) I got now

well newer motherboard doesnt always mean i5/i7, why not just get a newer LGA board? i mean from you sig your running a 8800GTX@1360x768, thats close or is in some cases considered 720p. my 4850 512mb can do that res no problem, since that is a cpu bound resolution. if you havent gone SLI by now, which it would be a huge waste at that res. why not just switch a new i5/i7 board with better ocing.

if you sell your parts you have now you can offset the cost of the upgrade.

What would a new motherboard offer that this one does not? This has all the settings I could want, plus the option to go SLI if I ever want to?

The only thing I can see a new motherboard doing is allowing me to use the newer i7 chips. and possibly 1/2 multiplier settings like 8.5x.

The best thing I can think of is to try and make certain the next CPU I get has an unlocked multiplier.
And get better memory higher than the 4 sticks of 800MHz (PC2 6400) I got now

The nVidia chipset boards are buggy and difficult to OC. They also run pretty hot. Intel chipset boards OC much better and are more stable overall. You won't be able to get 0.5x multis w/ that CPU; it's a property of the CPU, not the mobo. The 775 Intel boards do not have SLI, but that's also a waste IMO. Stick w/ a single card and just trade-up if you want more power. At 1366x768 you could get by w/ a card that runs a lot cooler and uses a lot less power, and is still more powerful than the old-school 8800GTX. BTW, unlocked multi chips cost ~$1,000. You can do just fine w/ regular $50-$300 chips if you invest the time to learn the quirks of your setup.

But back to your situation at hand. It's really hard for me to tell if you're doing this systematically or if you're just increasing voltages as high as you feel comfortable all around and hoping that will solve everything. It seems like the latter. More voltage is not always better! And if you just run it maxed out and get a BSOD you will have no idea where to go look for a solution.

Most likely your issue is in the NB or RAM or some combo of them.
Go back to 6x multi on CPU (we want to eliminate the CPU variable), run it w/ the RAM 1:1 and loose timings. Put all voltages back to default except RAM (set manually to it's spec) and CPU (set manually to 1.4v). Try 400FSB and run Blend. Does it fail? If so, try each setting (all of them, not just voltages!) one at a time and see if you can make it last longer. Also try GTL settings if you have them; remember more does not always equal better! Try up and down to see how things react. If it doesn't fail at 400FSB, try 420FSB. Rinse, repeat.

I know the NB runs hot on these boards, so you should check that temp while testing and let us know how hot it's getting. You might need to re-seat the NB HS to get this thing to cooperate if the NB temps are too high.

Follow my advice above and let us know if you hit a snag on your way to getting 450FSB stable (pass blend 8hrs+). AFTER that you can worry about trying 7x, 8x, and then 9x multis to get the CPU speed up where you want it. That part will be easy once you get the NB stable.

You won't be able to get 0.5x multis w/ that CPU; it's a property of the CPU, not the mobo.

Thank you for that information. I did not know that until now.

The 775 Intel boards do not have SLI, but that's also a waste IMO. Stick w/ a single card and just trade-up if you want more power. At 1366x768 you could get by w/ a card that runs a lot cooler and uses a lot less power, and is still more powerful than the old-school 8800GTX.

Eventually I will upgrade to the 1080i LCD with 1920x1080 Resolution, and the SLI or even crossfire is always a nice option to have available. IMO it is Never a waste to have an available feature open to you to use if you decide you eventually need it.

BTW, unlocked multi chips cost ~$1,000. You can do just fine w/ regular $50-$300 chips if you invest the time to learn the quirks of your setup.

It's all about the demand of the users and what keeps us happy. Be patient because Soon, we will have unlocked CPU's at reasonable prices once again.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=22595

But back to your situation at hand. It's really hard for me to tell if you're doing this systematically or if you're just increasing voltages as high as you feel comfortable all around and hoping that will solve everything. It seems like the latter. More voltage is not always better! And if you just run it maxed out and get a BSOD you will have no idea where to go look for a solution.

You are correct in your assumptions. I assumed that other than heat, the higher voltages would be more helpful than lower ones and would therefore make over clocking a guaranteed thing as long as my temps stayed in line and I was not too excessive in the voltage increases.

I will however try your advice and step up voltages slowly and run more prolonged stress tests.

Most likely your issue is in the NB or RAM or some combo of them.
Go back to 6x multi on CPU (we want to eliminate the CPU variable), run it w/ the RAM 1:1 and loose timings. Put all voltages back to default except RAM (set manually to it's spec) and CPU (set manually to 1.4v). Try 400FSB and run Blend. Does it fail? If so, try each setting (all of them, not just voltages!) one at a time and see if you can make it last longer. Also try GTL settings if you have them; remember more does not always equal better! Try up and down to see how things react. If it doesn't fail at 400FSB, try 420FSB. Rinse, repeat.

I know the NB runs hot on these boards, so you should check that temp while testing and let us know how hot it's getting. You might need to re-seat the NB HS to get this thing to cooperate if the NB temps are too high.

Follow my advice above and let us know if you hit a snag on your way to getting 450FSB stable (pass blend 8hrs+). AFTER that you can worry about trying 7x, 8x, and then 9x multis to get the CPU speed up where you want it. That part will be easy once you get the NB stable.

I will try this advice and give more replies as I get more conclusive results. Note: I always leave Everest ultimate edition running and displaying all temps for the Northbridge and Southbridge while stress testing. I keep them under 70c (These chips I know to be safe up to a lot higher)

Anyhow thanks again for the replies. I appreciate the help.

Back