• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When to replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Throughout the years I've been doing distributed computing to varying degrees. The strategy has been to optimise cost. That has included at times using the PSUs that most forums will tell you to run away from. I've never had anything die from a PSU failing, other than the PSU itself of course. On the cheap PSUs, after running a year or two under load 24/7 the system may go unstable, probably saggy voltages but I never measured. Replace and away you go again. One of these low cost PSUs costs a fraction of what is usually considered a good one. OTOH I can't recall the last branded PSU going bad, and some of mine are really old now. For example, I still use a Corsair TX750 which was originally bought for my Sandy Bridge system, and that isn't the oldest. I don't tend to buy cheap PSUs any more, unless it comes with a case or other system, then might as well use it if I have it anyway.

Yes PSU's can last a while, cheap ones fail much quicker and seem to have other issues when they fail as well. A co-worker has done over the years replacing a cheap PSU's low end branded PSU or no-name PSU every 1-2 years because of power issues in the area causes major issues with some electronics in his house and its actually wreaking his system slowly each time. It actually toasts the PSU, to the point I can't even jump start it. Failed USB ports, lan ports, SATA connectors, PCI-E slots, dead HDDs, dead DVD drive.. The list goes on yet the PC still does "work". He can get a new PC and it fails quickly so its not components as they are quality system components that I've recommended and would personally use, excluding the PSU of course. While recently (3 years ago) I finally convinced him to switched to a higher end branded PSU that was a whole $20 more... and zero issues with a system that has a few USB ports failed and 2 of the 4 SATA ports gone from a previous PSU that failed. That was just one experience, I have seen a few other PC's where MB was toast because of a failed PSU over the years. I'd say your lucky that you've haven't had anything fail due to a PSU going out on you.

I would think majority of people, at least us enthusiasts, that when we upgrade a PC the PSU might last more than just a single build. Where it might see more life then some other PC's that might only be used for a few years before being replaced.

Throughout the years I've been doing distributed computing to varying degrees. The strategy has been to optimise cost. That has included at times using the PSUs that most forums will tell you to run away from. I've never had anything die from a PSU failing, other than the PSU itself of course. On the cheap PSUs, after running a year or two under load 24/7 the system may go unstable, probably saggy voltages but I never measured. Replace and away you go again. One of these low cost PSUs costs a fraction of what is usually considered a good one. OTOH I can't recall the last branded PSU going bad, and some of mine are really old now. For example, I still use a Corsair TX750 which was originally bought for my Sandy Bridge system, and that isn't the oldest. I don't tend to buy cheap PSUs any more, unless it comes with a case or other system, then might as well use it if I have it anyway.

Yep, been building systems continuously since 1998 and never had a PSU damage anything other than itself when going down. So I'd have to say that although collateral damage is possible, the risk is minimal. All that being said, don't try using an old PSU designed when everything ran off of +5v and +3.3V on one of today's systems where the +12V is everything.

And as ATMINSIDE said, only check your PSU voltages using a Digital Multimeter (DMM) - software readouts are usually BS.

I can say I have seen at least 3 times where when the PSU died it killed other parts .

I had a Nice amd 2400+ mobile that clocked to the moon . When I upgraded I "lent" this system to a friend minus the PSU as I needed it for my own system . He didn't listen and got some fancy psu with LED lights (but was a **** PSU) and ran my system for 2 months . Then it Puffed a big cloud of black smoke ( I was there and saw it ) out the PSU and system went down .
It took the MB and the CPU . Ram was fine .

Same friend just last year had fx6100 system with a Craptastic PSU in it ran fine for a few years , he upgraded his gfx card to a 1050ti and within 1 months his system shut off . He brought it over and the 12v connector to the MB was MELTED and fused in place . ( with his new replacement system he finally listened and spent 20$ more on a quality unit . )

Young kid at work had PC problems it shut off one day , it took the Mb the ram his cpu .

Now for my self I have had a nice rated unit die but it never took anything with it when it did .

Typical new motherboard has protection just after the 24/8 pin connectors. The same most good graphics cards. If motherboard is good then will just shut down before anything dies. Most above average PSU have various protections and will turn off before anything burns. Simply anything from known brand won't kill your hardware. It was happening some years ago but I haven't seen anything burned because of PSU for maybe 10 years.

It doesn't change fact that saving on PSU is stupid. When you buy good gold+ unit then it will last for long years. Also some brands are selling higher PSU series with 5-10 year warranty. If they trust there won't be huge loses on RMA in this period then it has to be good.

I had Enermax and Corsair units which were keeping stable voltages after 5-10 years. Now I have PCP&C which has 8 years or something and is working perfectly fine with Skylake-X.

I have a corsair HX 620w for 10 years, if it's not broke don't fix it. I can't count the number of times I have received new parts that fail.:mad:

My ~8 year old HX850 survived wc leak ... water was inside the PSU, it only turned off and when was dry then I tested it under heavy load ... it's working for about 4 years since then ... water was with red dye so it's a bit pinkish inside :)

just get a good one during black friday or cyber monday, and keep as a backup until the time your current psu kaputs...that way your system downtime will be kept to a minimal

by good one i mean something from either corsair, seasonic, or evga...they gots a warranties 7-10 years

Back