• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which 24" LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speciale

Disabled
This was originally posted on a photography forum. I am a working photographer who spends 2-3 hours editing digital photos on my computer pretty much every day. That is the primary reason for the upgrade. With that in mind...after i post this i'm firing up madden, and need to move my Doom III box to get to my controller, soooo uhh..this is also for "play"...

A few years ago i bought a veiwsonic 19" CRT, i loved it so much that when i built my girlfriends dad a computer i had him get himself one too (much to my dismay i found out that his was an updated version with some pretty significant enhancements...same model though).

Well, dorm-life was the initial spark, and my cramped desk in my room right now is the final straw. CRT's are great...when you have the room, but i'm in the market for a nice LCD.

The only way i'd spend money on it is if it's big. This is also going to double as my TV in my room. I'd love to find a 30" or bigger, but at this point in time they are simply way too much. 24" seems to be the breaking point between "expensive" and "Uber expensive" and frankly thats plenty large enough for me.

I'm a viewsonic faithful, i like the operation of the Dells, and samsung is known for their greatness...but as far as LCD's go i simply don't know.

Any ideas on the best "bang for my buck" would be great.

(I have a friend who gets electronic equipment at cost through a company he is part of...so i'm going to ask him what he can get me)

Any and all help is apreciated.

I couldn't be happier with my Dell 2405FPW. Since the impending release *might* be just around the corner, you may want to wait for the 2407FPW model to become available... it's compatible with HDCP restrictions (the 2405 model is not).

It's a very clean monitory, fantastic base with nice rotation, the extra USB ports are handy, component cable inputs allow you to watch HDTV over the monitor (not sound though, and it is not a TC tuner!).

I dunno... I guess I wish mine was a little more future-proof regarding the HDCP, but otherwise this has been perfect in every respect! It's also very competitively priced.

Good luck!

I'd say the dell 24 inch series in general. as I don't have one myself, I am fairly impressed with who dell commisions fortheir monitors. I have a 17 in peice of crap one (I got it for 200 bucks new, 100 bucks off the original price), and the picture is incredible. My friend with his 20.1 inch dell showed it to me and I Was more than impressed. They really arefine quality, better than most brands i've seen (except for Samsung). I myself am in the market for a 24 inch

Are you (Speciale) timmyquest from FM? :D

Another alternative to look into is the Samsung 244t. I don't know any specifics and can't help more because school and photography have owned my life recently so I haven't been on top of things here.

Last edited:
Back