• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 3TB disk would be a better choice out of these 2 options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The drive will only be used for media storage purposes. As a single drive.

Thanks,

Well that's good news, but i always say check and double check before you buy! That way you can save yourself a lot of Hassle and money as well. AJ. Best of luck with your drive!

I own & run mostly Seagate drives so i have nothing against them but if lenght of warranty is a factor to you, you might wanna look into what that Seagate drive comes with for warranty.......

I know the page you linked says two years but i believe Seagate has recently reduced their warranty term to one year.....Sniffing around i found sites that say the drive has one & three year warranty also. :shrug:

Just an FYI ;)

If you are getting the Seagate make sure you flash the latest firmware for it....
Unless you like hearing a "chirp" every 30secs.

I put up with it for about 3weeks before losing the plot and googled the solution.
Seems to be a very common problem with Seagate drives for the past year or so.

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anyone else got experience with either of the drives? I'm going to make the purchase tomorrow.
So far I'm leaning towards the seagate.

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anyone else got experience with either of the drives? I'm going to make the purchase tomorrow.
So far I'm leaning towards the seagate.

Personally, I shy away from 7200 RPM drives for storage. Storage disks simply do not need to be real fast. Theoretically, you give up some reliability, noise, and heat with high RPM drives.

Hello guys,

I went with the Seagate, Bios recognizes the disk capacity as 801.66 GB, Windows 7 recognizes the whole 3TB ( 2.72tb ) when formatted as a GPT drive.

My question is, does it hurt that the bios is reading only 801.66 GB? In windows everything is cool.

Anybody got any info on this?

Thanks a lot people :)

TRY THIS!

Well read this 2 or 3 times even the posted comments of the people below to help you with this problem! If it still does have a slight hick up try to covert your drive to GPT! AJ. ;)

1, http://www.servethehome.com/fix-746gb-3tb-hard-drive-issue/

According to this guy it works with all types of manufactures hard drives.Just try this and come back and let us know. :thup:

@Ajay, That's not related to my problem and my drive is already set as GPT.

Actual problem is, in Windows everything shows correct but in bios it shows as 801.66 gb and really I'm not sure if it's a problem to begin with.

It's probably fine. I ran into this with a driver over 1tb, it shows as less than that in the bios but is fully supported in the OS. I think it has to do with the bios being 32bit-based.

We only but try to help so if we make a mistake cut us some slack here! The only other things said about your problem is as Moz said its not supported or you need a Bios up date! Or something in the Bios to recognize your drive like the Intel RST 101 or higher drivers maybe. Other than that i can not find anything on the net to help you more! AJ.

Last edited:
@Ajay, All cool man. Thanks for trying to help.
I'm on the latest official bios. Anyways, I'm hoping that it won't cause any problems in Windows.

Back