• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one of these 2 DDR3 would be better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

A couple of days ago I posted in the motherboards section, so now that I've decided on all the hardware I want, what's left is the memory, and my choices are really limited, I have only 2 choices to choose from (forget about recommending anything else because these are the best local options and online orders are not an option for me):

1) 2x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

2) CORSAIR Dominator 16gb (8x2)

The rest of the hardware is (4770k,z87x-ud3h).

My personally opinion would be the C10 memory, I'd appreciate any opinions though.

Honestly, my only fear of these sticks is their height, I'm planning on using an old 'HUGE' heatsink that I have purchased very long ago for the cpu, and I'm afraid that these sticks with the heatsink just won't budge!

The heatsink is the Thermalright IFX-14

Any hints or pointers are welcome, even if you think I should ditch the heatsink, it have been good to me for the past few years though.

Thanks,

It will come down to which one is faster, and latency times. If they are both the same, then which ever one is cheaper as ram is ram.
Edit- I looked at your links and they are the same speed before OC if you do (one may OC better) but the cheaper one, the vengence, has a better CAS timing, and it is a lot cheaper - so it would be better.

Heatsinks could be removed. Or you may want to look at low profile ram to begin with if your worried.

They are the same speed in MHz, but the timings are different and absolutely WOEFUL for DDR3 1600Mhz... CL10 and 11? that is 2400MHz+ CL timings. At DDR3 1600, you should be looking for no more than CL9.

They are the same speed in MHz, but the timings are different and absolutely WOEFUL for DDR3 1600Mhz... CL10 and 11? that is 2400MHz+ CL timings. At DDR3 1600, you should be looking for no more than CL9.

Yeah I thought so, my local store seems to stock these too, would they be better? :bang head

I have idea what your store has.. the object of purchasing memory is this... the least sticks available for the capacity you need. Voltage 1.5-1.65v. Speeds DDR3 1600 to 1866. CL9 is the highest I would go.

@EarthDog, just wondering, why would you avoid 1600Mhz with C10 timings? I'm not a memory expert honestly so I was trying to read about the difference between C9 and C10 performance, seems to be an unnoticeable difference in real world scenarios.

You are correct, but the difference pricewise isn't much. Cl10 for 1600 is just woefully slow... For whatever that is worth.

Reality is you bought a high end Cpu why not spend a bit more and get high end Ram. With that said don't spend extra on ram because it sounds like a cool name or it cool looking, though I do get if you choose to buy something because you like the looks of it. Get the best timings for the bandwidth you are purchasing, within your budget.

Additionally make sure the sticks will fit under the heatsink without clearance issues, the Corsair Vengeance sticks you listed 1st are pretty tall and most heatsinks wont clear them.

Furthermore, do you really need 16g or Ram, in most cases it's total overkill. Just trying to save you some money.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm really thinking going with 8GB now just due the lack of decent 16GB kits here, 8GB should me fine, I was planning on 16 just to be future-proof.

If I go the 8GB route, I can get either of these:

1)Corsair Dominator 2x4GB C9 1.65V
2)2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB C9 1.5V

I guess the second one is better due to the lower voltage and intels recommendations? Would going with the 2x4gb c9 1.5v be better than going with 2x8gb c10 1.5v?

Thank you,

Are either one of those going to fit under this?

The only ram slot that might be semi-blocked is the nearest slot to the cpu (4,2,3,1). So I can use 1 + 2 just fine, and if I'm lucky enough, slot #4 won't be blocked.

This is how currently things look in my build pic (this is not my build though), as you see, no slots gets blocked, but if the heatsink on the ram stick is very wide, it will hit the heatsink.

I just realized that the IFX-14 won't be compatible with LGA 1150 and it won't be easy retrieving the bolt-thru kit thermalright provides.. another dilemma to think about. :bang head

edit: Guess I'll have some modding to do, if it proves impossible i'll buy a new heatsink.

Last edited:
Back