• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which board for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power phases may be different... brand of NIC, etc. Fatality is marketed more towards the gamer.

I have a G4400 in an "internet browser" build and a G4500 in a htpc build. Both are running great, not a single issue with either. You may have gotten the 1 in a million with issues :/
I know it's rare how lucky did I get, however there is a post here and in the intel forum with skylake freezing problems running stock. https://communities.intel.com/message/405057 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ndomly-freezes-Even-reset-button-doesn-t-work

Since EarthDog jinxed me and I got a faulty board, I'm taking a look at what to get again.
Im leaning heavily towards another Extreme6, but Im also considering other options while I wait for my rma to complete. Is the K6 worth the extra price? The specs look identical to the EX6, im not sure what the difference is.
Im also looking at the Asus Sabertooth board, mostly because it looks neat and has a built in fan by the io ports (that probably does nothing). Anyone with experience with this board?
I've ruled out the Gigabyte boards, personal preference.

Have you had problems with Gigabyte?

EX6 and K6 both have the same number of phases that I can see, I don't know if there is a quality difference in the VRM I'm guessing not, so extreme overclocking should be the same.

The price on both those boards is a little high for me, I'm really happy with my daily driver max overclock at 4.5Ghz.:)

You second link is from 2013... before skylake was released.

Your first link is a NUC. Though skylake is inside of it, it can be a different issue considering the differences between the two.

Last edited:
Have you had problems with Gigabyte?

I had a couple issues with them in the past, and their customer service left a bitter taste. I do run a gigabyte video card though and like it, im just not sold on their mobos.

The issue I had with the ex6 board doesnt bother me as much as the "tech guy" that Asrock's cs patched me through to. I did get an official email today from them asking all sorts of detailed questions, but if I have an issue 3 months down the road I want to be able to call and get a resolution instead of waiting 3 days for an email (i prefer talking to a person on the phone if I'm having issues).

I know the Asus customer service is supposed to be top notch (never dealt with them personally), but the quality and options their boards offer are always less than similar priced boards from asrock/msi/gigabyte. For example - the ex6 is priced right at the ROG Ranger price point, but seems to be a step down from the ex6 im most aspects (the ROG Hero looks closer, but costs $30 more).

Ive read every review I can find, compared all the boards, read all the commenta, and have come to the conclusion that I'll probably never tell a performance difference in any of the boards in the $150-175 price range. At the end of the day, I'll probably go with whatever "looks" more appealing 😛

You second link is from 2013... before skylake was released.

Your first link is a NUC. Though skylake is inside of it, it can be a different issue considering the differences between the two.

Post 16 is where all the people with skylakes start.http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ndomly-freezes-Even-reset-button-doesn-t-work

The intel thread has one post after another with Feezing problems. I went through them all. https://communities.intel.com/thread/97358
I had a couple issues with them in the past, and their customer service left a bitter taste. I do run a gigabyte video card though and like it, im just not sold on their mobos.

The issue I had with the ex6 board doesnt bother me as much as the "tech guy" that Asrock's cs patched me through to. I did get an official email today from them asking all sorts of detailed questions, but if I have an issue 3 months down the road I want to be able to call and get a resolution instead of waiting 3 days for an email (i prefer talking to a person on the phone if I'm having issues).

I know the Asus customer service is supposed to be top notch (never dealt with them personally), but the quality and options their boards offer are always less than similar priced boards from asrock/msi/gigabyte. For example - the ex6 is priced right at the ROG Ranger price point, but seems to be a step down from the ex6 im most aspects (the ROG Hero looks closer, but costs $30 more).

Ive read every review I can find, compared all the boards, read all the commenta, and have come to the conclusion that I'll probably never tell a performance difference in any of the boards in the $150-175 price range. At the end of the day, I'll probably go with whatever "looks" more appealing ��

That sounds good.:) I sent a email to Asrock and they got back to me Quick only 2 days it took, this was just 4 weeks ago about there warranty system, it is confusing and she said the board I was looking at had a 3 year warranty however when I sent her a email saying on Newegg it was only 1 year she said that she will have it changed at Newegg, still has not happened yet.

I called Gigabyte yesterday 3 different times with 3 different questions about my new Z170-HD3, I only had to nicely say once could I speak to someone else, he did not understand the question I was asking. I could not believe how helpful they are on overclocking with my board, they were telling me things on how to be carful and what to do if it does not post after bad settings and it does not automatically reboot, they were just being nice and I listened.

I've overclocked 4 Gigabyte budget boards in 7 years no problems, I did a bios flash for upgrading from SB CPU and I had to RMA it went smooth to go back to SB.

Last edited:
8 days shipping and 3 days in "receiving" and I'm still no closer to a resolution on my rma'd board (nothing like spending tons of money with a company and not having a functional product for a month).

But! It looks like Gigabyte released a new board while I was waiting, the Z170X Ultra Gaming, in the same price point as my last board. Anyone know where that board fits in their lineup? I can't seem to find where it differentiates between their G1 series. I also can't tell if the LED lighting in the board is changeable or stuck on Red. That might be a deal breaker if its always red. *edit* Found a press release that does state the led lights are controllable both in color and how/if they illuminate.

I'm also looking at the Maximus VIII Ranger as the price has come down a little on it. But it appears to have lots of people with random issues on the 6700k and the Asus software. Anyone here use that board?

Assuming my RMA will be finished early next week, I've narrowed it down to four replacement boards.
Any negatives to any of these boards or issues with the companies and their customer service?

ASRock- Extreme6
ASUS- Maximus Ranger
Gigabyte- Ultra Gaming
MSI- Gaming Pro Carbon

All boards are in the same price point.

I've dealt with ASRock costumer service. Not thrilled with their ability to troubleshoot on the phone, and the email response is delayed a day. But other than my random bios issue, my last board worked really well.

Asus was able to answer my questions nearly immediately, their customer service was pretty impressive. Never dealt with any of their products.

Sent a message to Gigabyte Friday morning with some questions, nothing yet. I'll see if they respond on Monday. My video card is a gigabyte too, i do like the idea of keeping everything looking uniform.

MSI- Ive never dealt with their customer service, mostly because they've never responded to any of messages in the past. However, my last board was a MSI and worked great for years.

Assuming my RMA will be finished early next week, I've narrowed it down to four replacement boards.
Any negatives to any of these boards or issues with the companies and their customer service?

ASRock- Extreme6
ASUS- Maximus Ranger
Gigabyte- Ultra Gaming
MSI- Gaming Pro Carbon

All boards are in the same price point.

I've dealt with ASRock costumer service. Not thrilled with their ability to troubleshoot on the phone, and the email response is delayed a day. But other than my random bios issue, my last board worked really well.

Asus was able to answer my questions nearly immediately, their customer service was pretty impressive. Never dealt with any of their products.

Sent a message to Gigabyte Friday morning with some questions, nothing yet. I'll see if they respond on Monday. My video card is a gigabyte too, i do like the idea of keeping everything looking uniform.

MSI- Ive never dealt with their customer service, mostly because they've never responded to any of messages in the past. However, my last board was a MSI and worked great for years.

Here is Gigabyte Support Phone: 1-626-854-9338 it is much faster.

Asus is pretty good when it comes to their high-end products ( ie: Boards/Gpus). However when it comes to their mid-range/entry level/lower end products, lets just say it's not a pleasant expierience to say the least.

As for Gigabyte, I've never had any issues with them or the CS/RMA.

When it comes to MSI: No comment-

ASRock has been solid thus far. I've had several ASRock boards and needless to say I haven't had any issues with them at all.

Asus is pretty good when it comes to their high-end products ( ie: Boards/Gpus). However when it comes to their mid-range/entry level/lower end products, lets just say it's not a pleasant expierience to say the least.

As for Gigabyte, I've never had any issues with them or the CS/RMA.

When it comes to MSI: No comment-

ASRock has been solid thus far. I've had several ASRock boards and needless to say I haven't had any issues with them at all.

Would you put the Asus Maximus Ranger down as a mid to lower range board? Its part of their ROG lineup, but it's the lowest of their ROG lineup.

And lol at the "MSI: No comment". That's kinda what I've gathered.

I would put the MAX Ranger board as a mid level, but still in the upper class section. Yeah I would steer clear of MSI, lol.

I know I shouldn't let my last experience turn me off to ASRock, but it's just one of those things that worries me now. Although I've seen enough people complain about Asus and Gigabyte too, so I guess it's just one of those things where you hope for the best (i just don't want to rma another board as it'll already be a month since I first ordered before I get my next one).
Maybe one will have a better deal than the others by the time my rma is complete. ASRock has $30 mail in rebate now, and as much as I hate those things that's a pretty good deal in helping bring the price down.

Yeah I know what you mean. Pretty much all board manufacturers have their share of bad boards. I try and stick with the one that has less of them ;)

In any event, good luck with the new replacement. I'm sure lightning will not strike twice in the same spot.

I know I shouldn't let my last experience turn me off to ASRock, but it's just one of those things that worries me now. Although I've seen enough people complain about Asus and Gigabyte too, so I guess it's just one of those things where you hope for the best (i just don't want to rma another board as it'll already be a month since I first ordered before I get my next one).
Maybe one will have a better deal than the others by the time my rma is complete. ASRock has $30 mail in rebate now, and as much as I hate those things that's a pretty good deal in helping bring the price down.

I went with Gigabyte, looking through the RMA's and complaints with RMA's with ASRock in Newegg also dealing with there support for information I did not want to take a chance on them.

Looking at the Gigabyte Gaming 7 and ASRock K6 as my other choices, how does the Z170S Sabertooth compare? Its priced a couple bucks below the other two, but I want to make sure there's no features missing off it it that I would get on one of the other two.
Pulling the trigger (again) today.

Last edited:
Looking at the Gigabyte Gaming 7 and ASRock K6 as my other choices, how does the Z170S Sabertooth compare? Its priced a couple bucks below the other two, but I want to make sure there's no features missing off it it that I would get on one of the other two.
Pulling the trigger (again) today.
Either or are fine.. honestly. Just make sure they have the features you need/want. You can compare them side by side at newegg even. :)

Either or are fine.. honestly. Just make sure they have the features you need/want. You can compare them side by side at newegg even. :)

I had each of those 3 in my cart at one time and almost pulled the trigger on each.
In the end I felt the Gaming 7 had every feature I wanted and even though it was a couple bucks more it wasn't missing anything I really wanted in a board.
Finally got my refund from the RMA and pulled the trigger!

Back