• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Card ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strikestorm

Ok i'm currently running a Evga 7800 GT 256mb ddr3 core clock is 478 MHz, memory clock is 1ghz ,with 256 bit memory interface, memory transfer rate of 32Gbs ,20 pixel per clock cycle. dx9.0c.

Now I've obtain a Ati Radeon 3450 256mb ddr2 , core clock is 600 MHz, memory clock at also 1ghz , it has 64bit memory interface :( , and only transfer at 8gbs, but does 40 pixel per clock cycle. dx10.1

My question is would the ati run just as fast or faster as then the 7800 Gt and would it be worth it just to have a dx10 card ?

If anyone responds please explain why one is better then the other not just your opinion on which is better ( example :7800 gt is better ).

What to say then? 7800GT pwns the 3450 totally, turn on AA and youre talking 3-4-5 times more performance, even with no AA (HD3000s are weak with AA) the 7800GT is much better.

For example...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/.../compare,797.html?prod[2127]=on&prod[2103]=on

Well i realize 3450 is the bottom of the barrel on the 3000 series but to say the 7800GT will own all 3000 series cards is just plain stupid and far from truth and to post link to a web site where they are being sue for there bias opinions just toss your creditability further down the drain .

Now if anyone that could give me a intelligent reason why one is better then the other please post the reason "Why".

Well i realize 3450 is the bottom of the barrel on the 3000 series but to say the 7800GT will own all 3000 series cards is just plain stupid and far from truth and to post link to a web site where they are being sue for there bias opinions just toss your creditability further down the drain .

Now if anyone that could give me a intelligent reason why one is better then the other please post the reason "Why".

And how did you get offended by that reply? Everyone (ok, almost everyone) knows 7800GT pwns 3450, theres no reason to ask for proof in the first place. About Toms, its as good as any other, unless you can point out a benchmark that differs by more than a few FPS from lets say Anand? No other reviews will tell you that 3450 is anything else than a lower low end card, but you can sue them if you like =)

Never said all 3000 series sucked, i merely stated the fact that they take a huge hit with AA enabled, i would like to see anyone try to prove otherwise... ("anyone" except those who think 3450 is a great card...)

What to say then? 7800GT pwns the 3450 totally, turn on AA and youre talking 3-4-5 times more performance, even with no AA (HD3000s are weak with AA) the 7800GT is much better.

For example...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/.../compare,797.html?prod[2127]=on&prod[2103]=on

Yes you did with that little "s" at the end of 3000. And yes 3450 is the lowest in the 3k series. But your statement and and other replies wasn't what i was seeking for a answer. I need a techincal reason why one is better then the other not a benchmark.

go unravel your panties man. boo hoo, are you sad that you bought a crappy graphics card? Why not just spend 3 minutes googling yourself an answer instead of wasting other peoples time. The intelligent reason why, is that the 7800gt is a better card than the 3450. Case closed. If you didn't get the answer you wanted here, I'm sure you can find it somewhere else.

I need a techincal reason why one is better then the other not a benchmark.

how are benchmark results not a technical reason? They clearly aren't "biased opinions" if the 3450 consistently gets lower frame-rates in the same games compared to a 7800GT.

and besides you're comparing two cards that are not meant to be compared, because they are in two very different classes. The 7800GT series is a high end video card, 2nd only to the 7800GTX of its time. The 3450 was designed to be a mainstream low end video card (ati 3870 -> 3850 -> 3650 -> 3450). It's like you're asking if a toyota corolla is better than a ferrari, then getting mad when people tell you the ferrari is better.

Yes you did with that little "s" at the end of 3000.

while th3 did give a blanket statement, it doesn't mean its false. The 3000 series cards were just like the previous x2000 series cards and had horrible AA performance compared to nvidia's offerings at the time. The new 4000 series have fixed this, with AA being "free" (no framerate drop) in some of its higher end cards.

Last edited:
how are benchmark results not a technical reason? They clearly aren't "biased opinions" if the 3450 consistently gets lower frame-rates in the same games compared to a 7800GT.

and besides you're comparing two cards that are not meant to be compared, because they are in two very different classes. The 7800GT series is a high end video card, 2nd only to the 7800GTX of its time. The 3450 was designed to be a mainstream low end video card (ati 3870 -> 3850 -> 3650 -> 3450). It's like you're asking if a toyota corolla is better than a ferrari, then getting mad when people tell you the ferrari is better.

while th3 did give a blanket statement, it doesn't mean its false. The 3000 series cards were just like the previous x2000 series cards and had horrible AA performance compared to nvidia's offerings at the time. The new 4000 series have fixed this, with AA being "free" (no framerate drop) in some of its higher end cards.

Because there are other factors in benchmarking that can skew the results such as a different type of motherboards , ram , even power supplies.

As for buying the card i never said that , just like the other here that can't seem to comprehend what they read and answer a simple question.

It seems to those of you that have replied to this thread lack the technical know how to answer the question , why not go give your worthless advice to some other thread and stop spamming this one .

For those interested in the question See first post .

Be nice or go away from our forums.

Architectures are different makes it hard to compare. In the end, the 7800GT's architecture may be older, but the 3450 lacks the power. Bit rate is in favor of the 7800gt as well.

Because there are other factors in benchmarking that can skew the results such as a different type of motherboards , ram , even power supplies.

if you actually read the reviews, you'll know that all tests are done on the same setup (same mobo, cpu, ram and psu) with only the video card being changed.

with that said, good luck finding an explanation that suits what you're looking for. be sure to tell us why that explanation is better than simple and empirically proven benchmark testing.:welcome:

What people are trying to say is that the 3000 series were not very good at AA. in the 3000 series if you want to beat your current 7800GT than you will have to pick up a 3850 or better. Fanboyism is pretty low on these forums, so please don't just assume that just because someone didn't recommend a card, that they were being biased

If you come on our forums and troll, than we are going to flame, if you come on our forums and be courtious and act mature (ie don't offend people) than these are extremely knowledgable forums.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forums.

What people are trying to say is that the 3000 series were not very good at AA. in the 3000 series if you want to beat your current 7800GT than you will have to pick up a 3850 or better. Fanboyism is pretty low on these forums, so please don't just assume that just because someone didn't recommend a card, that they were being biased

If you come on our forums and troll, than we are going to flame, if you come on our forums and be courtious and act mature (ie don't offend people) than these are extremely knowledgable forums.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forums.

Well thank you , but not new just don't post often ( join date dec 2005). As for trolling well since I'm the author of the thread , maybe you can explain to me how does trolling apply to me replying to replies in my thread?

As for offending people well i was offended by the first reply to my question , i don't see you flaming them .

Only person they gave me what seem to be non-bias opinion to my question was White_pawn. Even if it still wasn't what i was looking for . As i'm not looking to find out which is better per say but why one is better then the other. That is one of the reason I list the spec's of both cards.

Kind of hard to give a decent explanation since you are comparing different era cards, However the 78gt is far superior, First core vs core, 7800gt has 20 pixel pipelines vs the 3450 with 40 stream processors, For comparisons sake the 4850 has 800 stream processors, Next memory bus, Most 3450's have 64bit memory bus, You can find one or two models with a 128 bit bus, The 78gt has a 256 bit memory bus. Next the actual memory 3450 800mhz Gddr2 vs the 78gt Gddr3 at 1100mhz, In summary, The 78gt has the superior core, Superior memory bus and superior memory, It's honestly not even a contest.

Alright, I'm looking at your first post carefully and attempt to answer it to the best of my ability.

The problem I'm seeing is the confusion between the two card archetecture. DirectX9 cards use what are called pixel pipelines. DirectX10 and 10.1 cards use what is called Stream processors. To put it in basic terms, DirectX10 cards use hundreds of little processors on one chip. Each of those processors are programmable to do something (i.e. redering, physics, shading etc).

Another reason why your 7800GT is faster is because of more memory bandwith. This will help alot and relieve the bottleneck that is caused from within the card.

I reread Th3's post, and I still can't see what you find offensive. unless he edited his post, than I don't see any problem with it. Back in the 8800GT vs 3870/50 days it was common place for people to say that the 38xx series were not great at AA.

Thank you ScottinIndy that is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for . And to you too Dapman02. That is what I thought all along but want to know why and get second or third opinion on what I already knew( may have noticed the sad face next to the 64 bit memory interface). I was hoping for at least on getting par out the 3450 for the dx 10 and with the higher core clock speed , But your saying that it going to perform much slower then the 7800GT? Ahh well .

Well Dapman02 ,I was offended because I stated in my original post that I didn't want that kind of answer . But he offer it anyway then escalated the situation because i wasn't please with his lame answer.

Last edited:
Thank you ScottinIndy that is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for . And to you too Dapman02. That is what I thought all along but want to know why and get second or third opinion on what I already knew( may have noticed the sad face next to the 64 bit memory interface). I was hoping for at least on getting par out the 3450 for the dx 10 and with the higher core clock speed , But your saying that it going to perform much slower then the 7800GT? Ahh well .

Well Dapman02 ,I was offended because I stated in my original post that I didn't want that kind of answer . But he offer it anyway then escalated the situation because i wasn't please with his lame answer.

If you don't like the answer you really should ignore it or emphasize what you wanted. He, like all of us, was only trying to help you. Glad to hear that you got the answer that you were looking for. Good luck

If you don't like the answer you really should ignore it or emphasize what you wanted. He, like all of us, was only trying to help you. Glad to hear that you got the answer that you were looking for. Good luck

Very well said Dapman.

I am closing this thread as I think the members
here have not only gone out of their way to answer your question,
but have extended you a politeness of more than what you deserved.

If you are going to keep posting here and act like an ***
when you get a reply from someone trying to help, don't bother posting your question.

We want quality members, not jerks. And this applies to you too Strikestorm.

WII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back