• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which chip for 5GHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lance-M

:D Hi all , wanting to know which AMD chips can get to 5GHz if any.
i currently have a 1090T 6core which I realy like, i have just about finnished my new watercooling system, but pretty sure this wont make it to 5GHz.
just wandering are any of the 8 cores or 4 core capable .... I am saving up next for The i7 2700K which will make it to the big5.ghz.:cool:
or i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E..another decision to come with that also :)
I would still buy a "AMD FX-8150 8-Core" if I thought it could make it.
or should I just get 1 and try!:confused::-/
also I`m realy just thinking out loud...

some honest feedback would go down well.. :) thanks in advanced.

:fight:

Attachments

• Atomic NeoN - My Coolmaster Cosmos II almost finnished.jpg
    Atomic NeoN - My Coolmaster Cosmos II almost finnished.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 343
  • cc2 1c.jpg
    cc2 1c.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 401
  • xspc blocks.jpg
    xspc blocks.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Heatsink for Dual Xspc plexitop.JPG
    Heatsink for Dual Xspc plexitop.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 352
  • ek spin.jpg
    ek spin.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 341
  • overall.. before dual loop setup. pumps way to hot for me when together..JPG
    overall.. before dual loop setup. pumps way to hot for me when together..JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
I would think it would be pretty easy to hit with the FX chips. I'm not to sure about the 8 cores but maybe the 4 and 6 cores. I'm at 4.2GHz on stock voltage with a Hyper 212+ cooler, and have plenty of headroom with temps so I might could make it to 5GHz on air.

EDIT: I still have much to learn, it seems. :D

Last edited:
Seen a number of people "talk/write" about 4.7 to 5.0Ghz but have not seen any real live stress tested proof. Most that come in here are only getting to 4.4Ghz with any FX cpu be it 4100 to 8150. Fact is many of the FX's with more modules seem to get cpu mhz easier than the lesser core ones.

Generally speaking water is not enough to reach 5.0Ghz stable. Takes freezing temps to get the big cpu speeds. Some get better silicon than others which is always the situation but then they are not tearing up 5.0Ghz on water at all either.

Seen a number of people "talk/write" about 4.7 to 5.0Ghz but have not seen any real live stress tested proof. Most that come in here are only getting to 4.4Ghz with any FX cpu be it 4100 to 8150. Fact is many of the FX's with more modules seem to get cpu mhz easier than the lesser core ones.

Generally speaking water is not enough to reach 5.0Ghz stable. Takes freezing temps to get the big cpu speeds. Some get better silicon than others which is always the situation but then they are not tearing up 5.0Ghz on water at all either.

Maybe 5.0GHz will take more voltage than I expected... :chair:

my 4 fx cpu's can all do 4.9-5.0 and Rgone has seen my pictures at 4.9 ( he's my buddy whats helped get me there) it just takes a gawd aweful lot of voltage, above 4.8 they all start at 1.5 volts and 1.55 is the limit llc scales it right up to 1.56-1.57 to do it.

+1beepbeep2
beepbeep2, how do you get an fx above 6.5 the best i have been able to bench these at is just short of 6.3 and that has been the limit for all four cpu's?

Last edited:
It depends, do you want 5 GHz stable?
In that case, I have not seen a single CPU do over 4.8 GHz stable with a 100% load for extended periods of time.

I have a rather good, balanced chip and I need 1.46v for 4.7 GHz. However, on water cooling with a 3x120mm radiator etc, I am at about 75c load temp at that speed. I can't do 4.8 because my temperatures climb over 80c and my CPU becomes unstable.

No AMD chip can do 5 GHz 24/7 unless all you do is play older single thread/low load games and web browse. I can run my CPU at exactly 5 GHz on water at 1.5v and retain enough stability (most of the time) when gaming. Otherwise my 1100T @ 4.2 GHz is faster...

5 GHz on Intel SB 2x00K is near impossible too without excessive voltage. Most guys stop at 4.6-4.8 there as well.

If peeps could read and understand what was written there, then they would see more clearly the real world of FX processors to date. Good write-up man. RGone...ster.

It depends, do you want 5 GHz stable?
In that case, I have not seen a single CPU do over 4.8 GHz stable with a 100% load for extended periods of time.

I have a rather good, balanced chip and I need 1.46v for 4.7 GHz. However, on water cooling with a 3x120mm radiator etc, I am at about 75c load temp at that speed. I can't do 4.8 because my temperatures climb over 80c and my CPU becomes unstable.

No AMD chip can do 5 GHz 24/7 unless all you do is play older single thread/low load games and web browse. I can run my CPU at exactly 5 GHz on water at 1.5v and retain enough stability (most of the time) when gaming. Otherwise my 1100T @ 4.2 GHz is faster...

5 GHz on Intel SB 2x00K is near impossible too without excessive voltage. Most guys stop at 4.6-4.8 there as well.

changes are a foot..

thanks guys for the all the inputs and info,:D
Stability 24/7 would be good- but no real purpose to me at present.
only if not running hot I would consider 24/7.

I`m starting the feel 5Ghz stable 24/7 is out most probably with the Amds @ the moment, that seems to the overwhelming critic`.
its basically what I was thinking as well. :comp:
I was steering already towards the intel i7`s. so Little more research to see which one of these chips will do. now I`m leaning straight away towards the
newish intel 2011-3820 4c/8t. then again the i727k seems to get there pretty easy as well.

all food for thought .thanks again :)
now to decide on which of these will best suit.:thup:

12 hours prime95 4.7 is really about all i have been able to do.4.8-4.9 they tend to drop a core at about the 8 hour mark and jiggering in a little voltage really does not seem to help at all, I am starting to wonder if it's really the limit of the board.
5.0 and above i'm limited to 20-30 mins of prime 95 and they dump 1 or 2 cores and i really have to pump the voltage up to get beyond that and i have burnt enough parts already.

My FX-8120 was maxing @4.8GHz/1.48v/53°C on the core.
And that was with a 360 rad/3x1800RPM fans single CPU loop.

My 2600k was doing 5GHz/1.49v/24.7 with the same loop, and was Prime stable up to 5.1GHz/1.52v
I am with rGone on this one: a lot of talks about 5GHz with the FXs... but not many people hit this mark with water.

My 2600k was doing 5GHz/1.49v/24.7 with the same loop, and was Prime stable up to 5.1GHz/1.52v
I am with rGone on this one: a lot of talks about 5GHz with the FXs... but not many people hit this mark with water.

:cool:great info, I`m also with you and rGone about the FX`s..
we have similar water cooling config ..yes that does tell me what I wanted to know, 1x 360 not enough.
I to are putting in Dual loops later this week..separating the mem and gpu from the CPU......I like the 2600ks numbers.
After all considering and research I have decided that I will be getting the 2700k to get me where I want to be.
Thanks again Guys...:beer::clap:

Nope, there's no way that is possible. (The temperature)
Temp sensors within FX CPUs read about 20c low, so you were around 70c. :bday: :p

I think I could do the same thing with the same voltage if my CPU could tolerate the temperatures. I have about the same temps but after ~4.7, more voltage doesn't help in stress testing due to temperature instability.

@op
what manu2b said, 2600K ...2700K is no better unless you are building a stock machine.

LinX can be done on FX on water, Prime95 is a lot harder on this architecture though. Better suited for intel setups than Prime95 though :)

then it looks like amd was spot on when they said it would compete with the intel 2500.
4.8-4.9 stable is good for the fx and what amd promised, so I am happy with it. i do hope piledriver will run with the 2700 but we must wait and see.

speaking of impressive, I have only been overclocking for less than five months.
thank all of you for the help and some fun.
I have learned a lot here in a very short time, about cpus, motherboard and operating systems(I am amazed at how many services we never really need and how they just bog a system down).

speaking of impressive, I have only been overclocking for less than five months.
thank all of you for the help and some fun.
I have learned a lot here in a very short time, about cpus, motherboard and operating systems(I am amazed at how many services we never really need and how they just bog a system down).

Woah, you are still here, I thought we'd have made you cause a terrible fire months ago! :D jkjk, congratulations on picking up on overclocking.

Back