• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which chip for 5GHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the one board that caught fire was in fact my own fault (voltage and booze are a fun but dangerous mix).

where can i point mt IR temp probe and read the cpu temp if the silly thing is all covered up with waterblock?

or should i give up on that and pull the case side and probe what i figure is the bottom of the socket?

when i do "that" other people tell me it's a waste and blowing a fan in that area is only fooling the motherboard temp sensor, but, reading that area with my temp probe shows it to be a very hot place indeed. and the fan keeps that area below my cpu temp while at the same time reduces my core temps.

Well it isn't your CPU...I am aware that blowing a fan on the back of the socket can lower CPU temperatures ;) but whatever reading you are getting without a fan on it is very close to real CPU temperatures.

do you think the fan is fooling the mother board probe?
the core temps fall some so it must be doing something good.
this area has little thingys, my IR trmp probe says 130f-155f under load (with the fan off)

Silicon is very good at conducting heat. I never said you were fooling the sensor, but you are cooling that area under the CPU.

However the surface of that area when you are cooling it from the backside isn't as representative of the real CPU temp than it would be when the CPU was effectively heating it...

In both cases though that spot is a little less than the real CPU temperature.

Silicon is very good at conducting heat. I never said you were fooling the sensor, but you are cooling that area under the CPU.

However the surface of that area when you are cooling it from the backside isn't as representative of the real CPU temp than it would be when the CPU was effectively heating it...

In both cases though that spot is a little less than the real CPU temperature.

beepbeep2, others who have helped me along the way have told me that cooling this area is fooling the sensor.

core temps are what really matter anyway?

It depends what you mean by fooling the sensor.

If you run cold air over a temp sensor or an area near it made of silicon what do you expect it to do?

How about a fan directed directly to the CPU/water block/bottom of the heatsink instead of back of the MB. For example my NH-D14, it has two fans blowing but the heatsink isn't even warm, the bottom of the heatsink is hot as hell, so maybe 80mm fan directed to the heatpipes and CPU area would blow a lot of heat off. Dunno maybe it's a bad idea...

beepbeep2, I think he was trying to say that the probe itself was exposed in this area.

If i run cold air over anything i expect it to carry away a little heat.

joni, you have to have plenty of airflow into that area anyway, to replace the airflow to the vrm section and the mosfets that is removed when the fan/heatsink is removed.

Back