• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which chip is the better bet for stock v. o/c??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
which P4 is the best bet for stock voltage o/c'ing?? I'm building a low (no) noise system for the living room; therefore, can't crank up the voltage much (if any) in order to stay noiseless.

TIA!

LandShark said:
which P4 is the best bet for stock voltage o/c'ing?? I'm building a low (no) noise system for the living room; therefore, can't crank up the voltage much (if any) in order to stay noiseless.

TIA!

I've had good luck wiht my 2.0A chip. If you get a D1 or C1 stepping you should get a good OC on stock voltage.

At stock (1.525V) it will run at 2.91GHz and at 1.55V it will hit 3.1GHz. Both Speeds prime95 Stable for 12+hours..

I keep it a stock cuz im a bit conservative in OCing.

oh, I'm going to use Zalman 7000Cu (or similiar HSF) at low speed for it in order to stay noiseless.

any higher speed grade like 2.8c/e, 3.0c/e, 3.2c/e??

LandShark said:
oh, I'm going to use Zalman 7000Cu (or similiar HSF) at low speed for it in order to stay noiseless.

any higher speed grade like 2.8c/e, 3.0c/e, 3.2c/e??

2.8C seems to do well, form what i see on this forum.

Obviously the better the CPU (meaning higher MHz) you get, the higher it'll go on default volts. I don't think one chip is known for going higher on default volts, not to mention is varies so much as it is. My suggestion would be to get the best CPU you can (highest MHz, or closest to what you're looking to obtain on an OC) and then work from there. If you have your heart set on say a 3.2 chip, then obviously a 3.0 is gonna have a better chance of hitting that then a 2.6. And i'm assuming you're going Northwood if heat is a concern correct?

^ agreed definetely (sp?) go northwood and not presshot if you are going cool... and you might not get that much oc out of a chip if you are not cooling it properly (i mean with a lower noise heat sink) but if you are really into no noise check this out:http://www.svc.com/zm-ttn500a.html

but not many here have that kind of money to buy that i would not mind a couple of those in a farm crunching seti at night i could sleep...

Hmm, I would go for a Northwood (2.8,3.0 or 3.2) and put a Tower Heatsink with heatpipes (Coolermaster Hyper 6, Thermaltake Tower112 or similar) on it.
My 2.8c does 3.5 at stock Vcore rock stable AND my temps are low (see sig).
Those temps in my Sig are with the Fan @ 3000rpm, but it doesn´t make much difference. When I run the Fan @ 1800rpm, the temps rise only a few °C, because of the enormous passive cooling potenzial of 1Kg copper.
So I think if you´d buy one of these, you could run it with a very slow and silent Fan @ low temps.

2.8c or 3.0c seems to be your best bet, especially if your using a 7000cu, a Prescott would be limited by heat before the Northy i'd expect.

tks for all the input guys!! :)

I'll look into those HSF too. I choice 7000Cu is mainly b/c I've heard a lot of good thing about it being very low noise while giving very acceptable cooling.

and yes, I'm looking into 2.8/3.0/3.2"C" chip. but just wondering is there any specific chip that does very good at stock v. like the old 2.4C that consistently hitting 3+ghz at stock v. 2.8C and 3.0C virtual is about the same money, with 3.2C being a just tab more. I think I'll go for either a 3.0 or 3.2C for safer bet then.

it's going to be a HomeTheatherPC that sits in living room, so quietness is very important. on the other hand, it will also do post processing of the video (liveTV, DVD, downloaded video/movie, etc.) and gaming (Doom3, HL2, etc.) too; therefore, some serious processing power is needed also.

tks again for all the advice! :)

p.s. it's going into a Abit AG8 mobo.

My 3.2C does 3.7 on stock voltage. I want to keep a 1:1 ram ratio, so I haven't pushed it any higher. Temps are 29 ºC idle, 34 ºC load w/ SP-94, and Delta 92mm @ 2000 rmp.

My 2.4c and 2.8c run alot cooler than my 3.0c did i dont have any idea why really, that may help your choice, the 2.8c should hit 3.2 on stock vcore.

LandShark said:

TIA!
What you're saying is, you want your cake AND eat it too?......

You want to overclock, yet you don't want noise.....*and want stock vcore*...
Well, it's a horseshoe throw. There's no such thing as a CPU that is guaranteed to overclock by a certain amount at stock voltage, unless you buy a pretested CPU. I Guess I'd get a 3.0C, as it looks like most of them top out at around the same place as the 3.4C's do, though that's with voltage.

Since there are no guarantees when OC'ing, I'd just take your pick of a 3.0 or 3.4C and hope for the best.

The only way you are going to get anything worthy of an overclock is if you go with an XP 90 or XP 120 with a low noise panaflo or Vantec stealth fan. (assuming you will air cool). You can also throw a fan controller into the mix...

Unless you want to spend money on fan controllers avoid the uguru abit boards.

They'll only let you spend a minimum of 8volts on your fans. Not excatly low-noise compared to whats possible with fx speedfan or similar.

Back