• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cooler would you choose i7-2600k (4.5Ghz+)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jerrolds

Registered
Going to be upgrading to a i7-2600k today, im mostly a gamer (still wondering if i should get i5 2500k if it overclocks better) - from this websites list - which cooler would you use for the i7-2600k?

I'm hoping for a 4.5 - 5Ghz overclock, i dont need the absolute lowest temps - just within a comfortable margin of operating spec

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/CoolingCPU

Are the closed looped water coolers still the way to go? (I used to use the Corsair H50 push/pull and it was pretty good)

This is the case ill be getting Coolermaster HAF-X 942
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

THe sweet spot price wise would be between $50-70 but i wouldnt mind going up to 80-90 if it was worth it.

Thinking either
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 CPU Cooler or
Hydro H60 High Performance CPU Cooler or
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler SE2011 (kind of expensive tho)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
For closed loop water, the Corsair h80 and h100 are the best performing from what I've read. For air, the Noctua D14 is supposed to perform the best. I would think that one of the Cooler Master 212s would work for you at 4.5Ghz though

OH right - i forgot, the guy im getting it from is throwing in a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX25192

Would i even need to get another cooler? I mean if its the difference is 4.6 instead of 4.5, probably not - but if the Noctua would let me reach 5.0Ghz then id grab something more hefty

THanks

There is no guarantee on what you can overclock to, all chips are different. I said that you can get 4.5Ghz on the CM 212 because lots of people are able to hit that with that particular cooler with a 2500k. Your 2600k should be able to handle that too. Just make sure you keep an eye on your temps and go slow with your overclock. I recommend reading this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613 as well

I guess my question is - if on the hyper 212+ i can get 4.5ghz, ive probably hit the wall in most cases, popping in a Noctua wouldnt get much past that and if anything just make it run cooler at 4.5Ghz

At least in my experience thats what happens.

Thanks for the great replies

If you are getting the 212 for free, go with it and if you need something better in the future, there may be something better on the market

Cant beat free so there would be no rush to upgrae unless needed IMO!!

whats ambient temp?

Best cooling from what i read is a custom loop, but requires maintenance...
personally i dont wanna maintain a loop so i buy closed loops, i chose the H100 and i am very satisfied... i have a 54X chip and get decent temps at that speed for limitied benching sessions (still trying to learn the secrets to benchin when i have time)

so i guess what is your goal 4.5 24/7 or do you want 5.0 for 24/7

I have the HAF X Nvidia Edition and the H100 push pull top mount i run 4.5 24/7 and in BF3 temps average 52C on 2600k and SLI 580's 66C. Its a nice case.

In regards to buying a chip get what you can afford....i hear the 2500 run a little cooler.. if your only gaming and on a budget the 2500k will be fine. if not get what your pocket book can afford.

Personally i like to get more to keep my options open...

Well id love it to be 5.0ghz stable on say a 10 run standard IBT - i dont run at 100% load 24/7 - if anything it would be 2hr ish gaming sessions

Ambiet temps - is less than room temp maybe 19C - the actual case is in another room, my spare room - with the heater shut off. I run cables thru the wall into my living room (I live in an apartment style 2 bed condo). So its awesome as i hear no noise at all from the system.

I do a lot of multi tasking - browser, video, development environment - but nothing like Folding@Home or Bitcoining.

I expect alot of times speedstep to kick in and throttle the cpu down to minimum while doing normal office/development type tasks

Ill see how it goes with the 212+, if i hit 4.5Ghz easily great - ill try and push 4.7Ghz if i feel that it dies due to heat (crash on test/high real temp readings) then ill think about getting a higher end cooler

Probably the H80, i really like how easy it is to clean the radiator/fans on the closed loop setups.

Last edited:
For Sandy Bridge, there are three kinds of coolers, at least for me.

Moderate OC (4.5GHz) - Any tower heat spreader with a 120mm fan will do. F.ex., Hyper 212, CAFA50, CAFA70...

High OC (4.5GHz-5GHz) - I'd start considering LCLCs and "serious stuff" like D14s, Machos, Archons...

Give'em'hell!! OC (+5GHz) - Go for a custom loop.

Excepting the benching madness, where you use DICE or LN2. Gotta try the DICE stuff one day.

High OC (4.5GHz-5GHz) - I'd start considering LCLCs and "serious stuff" like D14s, Machos, Archons...

Whats a LCLCs? The D14 isnt too out of my price range..i wonder if 500mhz is even worth it..but 5.0Ghz is a nice round number...

How hard is it to clean the dust out of the heat pipes and fans on the D14? Looks like over time itll lose its performance without regular cleanings

I suppose compressed air works..but i like to just remove the radiator from the H50 and run my vacuum w/ brush on it

Holy Crap the D14 is MASSIVE

LCLC is Low Cost Liquid Cooling. Solutions like the H80, the H100, Asetek's stuff, mainly.

5GHz is just a number I put there. You must have a chip that can do 50x to get 5GHz. Not to mention that I don't like to overclock when I need a voltage of more than 1.45v, at least for 24/7 usage.

On the website you linked, the Thermalright Venomous X RT for $34.99 is a freaking steal man. A much, much better heatsink than the 212+ and I haven't ever seen it selling for that cheap. That will easily get you into the 4.5-5.0 range. The only thing you may need to do is to replace the stock fan with something a little more powerful but still decently quiet like a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or a Thermalright FBD-1600. And that would only possibly be needed at the upper end of the range you are talking about.

yea if your not doing alot of stuff besides gaming... try the hyper at 4.5 and go from there....

these guys know their stuff so the advice is solid....but if your like me you will try the 212 and be satisfied but want more and chose another option later on just to push it for the sake of pushing it, besides isnt that why were here trolling the forums looking for any option to make our situation better for our needs and beyond...LOL

Well i know i am, have learned a ton of stuff from these folks and have not been steered wrong yet......

Kudos....... and good luck

On the website you linked, the Thermalright Venomous X RT for $34.99 is a freaking steal man. A much, much better heatsink than the 212+ and I haven't ever seen it selling for that cheap. That will easily get you into the 4.5-5.0 range. The only thing you may need to do is to replace the stock fan with something a little more powerful but still decently quiet like a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or a Thermalright FBD-1600. And that would only possibly be needed at the upper end of the range you are talking about.

Dang good call - the website listed it as out of stock but i just called and they said they had one more (haha right). I'd have to buy thermal compound, and since it the venom already has it...mmmmm, thats another $10 saved

As I said before grab the H212.

And, if you feel you want more, you can always get another fan and use a pushpull.

Ya i was gonna just stick with the 212+, and buy another 120mm fan and screw it on for some push/pull fun - but if i can score the venom for half price..i suppose it wont be too bad :p

I just hope the venom will allow me to OC to something that the 212+ cant say 4.8-5.0ghz vs 4.4-4.5Ghz.

Thanks for the advice guys..depends on how cheap im feeling when i get to the store haha

One more question - since the venom has some proprietory fan mounting designs - would it be safe to try and slap on another 120mm fan and just tape the damned thing on for push/pull? :p

Well turns out the Venomous XRT (i managed to snagged the last one for $34.99CDN) is only compatible with the 1156 boards :( May fit with other 1155 boards but not my Asus p8z68-v pro, one of the brackets are blocked by a row of capacitors.

Broke my nerd heart when i had to return it :( Switched back to the 212+ and havent done any manual overclock - apparently the asus board has an "OC Tuner" that auto overlocks the chip

It likes to oc it to 4432Mhz, ran IBT about 5 times and temps were around 66-70C, gonna try and push it to 4.5 or 4.6 even.

Hopefully i can bump it up while lowering the voltage

EDIT: Aw crap - maybe i installed it wrong! http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1280&page=7

Well turns out the Venomous XRT (i managed to snagged the last one for $34.99CDN) is only compatible with the 1156 boards :( May fit with other 1155 boards but not my Asus p8z68-v pro, one of the brackets are blocked by a row of capacitors.

Broke my nerd heart when i had to return it :( Switched back to the 212+ and havent done any manual overclock - apparently the asus board has an "OC Tuner" that auto overlocks the chip

It likes to oc it to 4432Mhz, ran IBT about 5 times and temps were around 66-70C, gonna try and push it to 4.5 or 4.6 even.

Hopefully i can bump it up while lowering the voltage

EDIT: Aw crap - maybe i installed it wrong! http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1280&page=7

Yes, it seems you installed it wrong. Try to get it back!! Is there a standard for the size of the 115x heatsinks and the room around the socket?

And, please, do not use auto overclocking features. Handmade overclocking is always better.

Yes, it seems you installed it wrong. Try to get it back!! Is there a standard for the size of the 115x heatsinks and the room around the socket?

And, please, do not use auto overclocking features. Handmade overclocking is always better.

Ya by the pictures (the instructions arent the best) it looks like i missed the underlying framing bracket thingy, that you can put a washer that creates space

You can see it in the last pic
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=27&id=177

I just called the place and im able to "unreturn" it lol - they had to service the return but then they'll put it on hold for me afterwards.

I'd just normally say screw it and stick with the 212+ but the Venomous is half off :p I cant afford NOT to get it haha

Ya ill be manually overclocking it for sure..i mustive hit OC Tuner on accident and was completely surprised when i saw the CPU throttle up when i ran IBT

I hope with the auto oc, and on the 212+ it still managed to do 4.4Ghz easily..hoping with the venomous and some good old fashioned tweaking i can think about 5Ghz.

Back