• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU Block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

For my RIVBE, I currently have the monoblock that covers the CPU, VRM's, and PCH, but after taking it off, I'm not too sure about it. There was no pressure against the VRM's or phase units. There wasn't a single impression in the thermal tape. Also, I'm not too crazy about the CPU mounting. It's just four plain screws; no springs for pressure, just screws.

My current choices are the alien looking Swiftech XL with ROG logo or EK Supremacy. It looks like the XL beats the Supremacy by .5c. Whoopee. I like the Supremacy's mounting system better. I've had bad luck with Swiftech back plates stripping after about 2-3 mounts, but I don't need to worry about this for 2011.

Besides these, any other worthy contenders that I'm not aware about besides the Raystorm? It lost by 2c against both of the above.

I'd get the Apogee XL. Can't beat it in performance/$ at all.

My Apogee HD was mounted quite a few times and hasn't shown any issues.
That's on 1155.

Personally, I've already chosen the Raystorm copper for the next build.
I just prefer the little blocks, and their temp rankings don't matter, because I'm ALWAYS over-radded anyways...heck, I'm running a triple on a mildly clocked C2D! :)

I want me a Heatkiller block :D Man I luv those. Still using the XSPC Rasa.

The EK Supremacy looks to be less restrictive than the Swifty block. I vote EK :thup:

Restriction shouldn't be an issue with 2 x MCP35X pumps for a CPU and motherboard loop. :) Hey what about the Aqua Computer Silver block for like 325.00. :)

$325 for a block?????? that thing better fix breakfast!!!
at the top end of blocks just pick what looks pretty to you, i use an ek supremecy on my intel rig but i think the xspc raystorms i used on my amd rigs looked better.

You offering to buy it for me? Being 100% silver heat plate, it has to be the best. The only thing I don't like about EK is I have to change the stock jet plate and it fricking always takes me forever to get a round o ring into an oval position.

I wouldn't buy that for suga bee even if it came with a necklace, and with that avatar of yours????? well you might appeal someplace.
if you get the thing let me know how it is at cooking suga bee might need retiring.

$325 for the block. I wonder how many of them they actually selling? The good things is they are many alternative out there to pick.

I'd get the Apogee XL. Can't beat it in performance/$ at all.

My Apogee HD was mounted quite a few times and hasn't shown any issues.
That's on 1155.

Same here. I agree with ATM.

Hey what about the Aqua Computer Silver block for like 325.00. :)

For that much I would rather spend less and look for one of them Limited Edition Gold Blocks and base that color or metal of the loop. :D

66086_l.jpg

IMG_2481-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

GP1x1200(1).jpg

Last edited:
if i had a $1000 processor, sure i'd have to think about it but i paid $339 or so.

I remember I had the Swiftech Apogee GTZ back during the 1366 days. Pretty good block for that heater 920 I had, lol.

I remember I had the Swiftech Apogee GTZ back during the 1366 days. Pretty good block for that heater 920 I had, lol.

I haven't seen over 65°C in P95 with my Apogee HD and 2600K @ 4.5GHz/1.335V

that in post #12, pic 1 is good looking and i bet less than $325.

yea, the o rings kind of suck to deal with but it's only once in a while.

Hey, that sterling silver baseplate kryos is an excellent performer! Nothing comes near it. * And apparently it sells very well.

It would even do better if you were to do some lapping.. mostly the CPU IHS of course... unless you want to "shave" $25,- worth of silver off the base of the block :)

* note: there are only two blocks in the world that outperform the "silver" Cuplex with a substantial margin; and they are both owned by members of this board.

Yeah the gold version blocks were limited. I think they were gone with in a month. I thought about grabbing once but my OCD would kick in and I would need to grab similar fittings unless I hit the lotto, well you know......lol (24k Gold Compression Fittings all around!)

Honestly though, if you want a certain theme color to the build, I'd probably go with the Swiftech XL because of the changeable colored plates.

Back