• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Block Help Needed!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maglin

I have an old system I put together in 2006. I'm getting a Ryzen upgrade from my i7 3770K so I figured I need to get a new CPU block but I have zero clue what is the best cooler to get for the money. Here is what I currently have.

ThermoChill 120.3 Radiator
Dtec Fuzion V2 CPU block
EK FET Blocks x2
EK SB Block (don't remember names)
EK NB Block (don't remember names)
D5 Water pump (My Petro topped DDC died after about 10 years of service)
Tygon 1/4" tubing

I was actually thinking about just making an AM4 mounting plate for my Dtec but figured I should probably look around. Chances are for not a lot of money I can get a much better CPU block. RGB is not required for this but I have an RGB controller on my ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO X470 MB. So I know I can't go wrong with an EK block but I don't have that kind of money to spend on it. I kind of like this Barrow Acrylic Aurora but wanted to know if it's any better than my Fuzion is. I have a machine shop in my garage so making a mounting bracket is easy for me. If you have any suggestions in the under $60 range please let me know. I also an not in any hurry so even block from aliexpress are fine. I order various parts from china all the time and the 6 weeks to ship is just standard for me. Thank you for your time in reading and replying to this.

I've never heard of the dtec block before. I would not expect outstanding performance from the Barrow block either (not necessarily terrible performance either, it should be fine, but maybe not worth upgrading). TBH with a $60 budget I would simply make the adapter and save for a high end block if temps were not adequate. With your Ryzen upgrade are you going to use an x570 board? Have you thought about putting the chipset in your loop?

You could get the older Supremacy block from EK for $70, although it looks like all that is available is the plexi top version (prone to cracks if over tightened). Or you can get a new Velocity block for $80. Sometimes you can find a good deal on a Raystorm too.

Back