• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Fortron for my rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpwinters

I'd go with the 530w in this case, provided the Epox board is a 5v oriented model (no 12v connector). If it has the connector, go with the AX500-A instead.

If you do end up with the 530w and don't mind voiding the warranty, moving the intake fan to the other side of the sheet metal will make it run cooler and quieter ;)

Forgot about that thread ;)

Yep, I was referring to the 4 pin connector - I'd go with the AX500-A on that one.

Forget the old 530W fortron or the AX500 Blue lagoon models.

Go for the 550W version......... :cool:

MrCooper: I have seen you post quite often lately, but very new to the forums. What is your basis for your recomendation? I know Oaklahoma Wolf has been around for a while and has posted reasons for his recomdations. So I'm just wondering why go with the 550?

rpwinters said:
MrCooper: I have seen you post quite often lately, but very new to the forums. What is your basis for your recomendation? I know Oaklahoma Wolf has been around for a while and has posted reasons for his recomdations. So I'm just wondering why go with the 550?

Alright i'll explain you why. To MrCooper post count doesnt mean anything. But why I recommend the 550W version due to the fact that it is a little more upto date compare to the 530W version. A much more befier than the blue lagoon 500W and it's got 24pin EPS/Supports dual cpu's/Adjustable rails (pots hidden) and to look inside the psu itself finding large hs and big transformers is why I recommend this compare the 2 other versions..........I would have to say it's on the same league as the PCP&C 510W/Zippy 500W.

yeah its funny, coopers probably got the highest post per day. as of when this is posted, its 69 posts per day. Hard to keep that up, i thought 5 or so was good.

[edit] im not saying you spam, thats just alot.

Last edited:
firebat45 said:
yeah its funny, coopers probably got the highest post per day. as of when this is posted, its 69 posts per day. Hard to keep that up, i thought 5 or so was good.

Because MrCooper will have a nice long vacation and that 69 Post count I have now will drop to 0.50 in about 3 months notice. Definetely if your read most of my post. None of them are spam and so I stand corrected. :cool:

MrCooper said:
Forget the old 530W fortron or the AX500 Blue lagoon models.

Nothing wrong with either of them, except the 530w isn't really the best choice for the system in question. The Blue Storm will run it, and run it easily. In fact, I think the Blue Storm 350w will also run it. And if not overclocking, the little brother from Sparkle, the FSP300-60THN, will run it too.

The 550w models are massive overkill in this case, and not necessary. Nice, but not necessary.

Definitely nothing wrong with the 2 other models, but what im trying to say is that $15 more he has a more upgraded unit compare to the 530W version that's been around for a very long time now. The 550W prices is really hard to beat. It's never an overkill to have a little extra of everything. :cool:

Actually, I do plan on overclocking it. It is going to replace my main setup. The 2600-M will probably get up to 2.5/2.6 with the SI-97. Plus the 6800 GT which is going to be overclocked after the addition of the Stasis ICESTORM cooler. The other point is noise. I know how much the 530W puts out, I figure the 550W is probably pretty close. I thought that with the AX500, the 120mm would make it a little more bearable. It is just a matter of the tradeoff of overall power to noise/temps.

rpwinters said:
Actually, I do plan on overclocking it. It is going to replace my main setup. The 2600-M will probably get up to 2.5/2.6 with the SI-97. Plus the 6800 GT which is going to be overclocked after the addition of the Stasis ICESTORM cooler. The other point is noise. I know how much the 530W puts out, I figure the 550W is probably pretty close. I thought that with the AX500, the 120mm would make it a little more bearable. It is just a matter of the tradeoff of overall power to noise/temps.

I doubt you'd hardly put the 550W version under stress and causing the fans to spin faster. Remember these psu are rated at their specs within high ambient temps and besides it's nice to own a unit that's a little different from everone else's from this forum. :)

Back