• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which is better, replace 755 board, or low end 1155?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I've got a friend who has a LGA 775 MB that seems to no longer be able to handle Ethernet. She has tried 2 different PCI-E Ethernet card, plus the onboard port and none of them work, or will let her install drivers. She has even reinstalled the OS on a wiped and reformatted HD, so it is unlikely to be an software issue.

I don't remember which CPU she has, but it is either an E8400 or a Q6600.

Her budget for the fix is $100 or less.

She can get a replacement board on Newegg, but the only ones that are the same type RAM are ASROCK for about $70.

There are some 1155 boards that are available for less than $50, and the low end 1155 Celerons are about $50. I'd be willing to get her a HS/F & RAM to go with it so she has a much newer system, since that would put her over budget.

Which would be the better option, given the OS is Vista 64bit?

Or would I have better luck in our classifieds than either option?

Low end dual core celeron will almost certainly beat an e8400. A q6600 will probably win in multithreaded stuff.
I'd move forward, personally.

A cheap 1155 board would put her in a better spot for possible upgrades in the future, so I think that would be the route I would likely take. Just make sure the board you pick out will support Vista (I've seen boards that will only support 7 and 8.1).

I wouldnt get the ecs. You could also try this place:

http://3btech.net/motherboards-1155.html

An msi p67 fo $40. I bought one and put it in a mining machine. Has worked well for a few months now. Though it is a refurb.

Edit: Looks like they have some really cheap 775 too.

Just make sure the BIOS is up to date if you try to put an Ivy Bridge chip in.

Looks much better than the ECS though :thup:

Thanks for the reminder. I should have her get the Sandy Bridge Celeron then. I'll keep an eye out for a Ivy in the classies and give it to her for an upgrade after she has updated the BIOS.

Thanks for the reminder. I should have her get the Sandy Bridge Celeron then. I'll keep an eye out for a Ivy in the classies and give it to her for an upgrade after she has updated the BIOS.

No problem!
Look at the support list to make sure, but some of the Ivy chips work on the earlier BIOS, while others don't.

Back