• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is faster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John Jr

I am not an AMD guy and am putting together a older pC and have 2 chips here to use. Athlon XP 1800 or Thunderbird 1400. The board is Abit KV7. Both as I can tell are quite similar in speeds, which would be the better choice? I may play around with some overclocking as well.
Any help would be appreciated.

XP 1800 of course :)
The thunderbird has less cache if i remember off the top of my head, and it's got 400MHz less power!

The Athlon XP is a later production.

Unless it's the Mobile Tbred - That was only 1350MHz.
The fastest XP 1800+ was with both the Thoroughbred and Palomino cores @ 1533MHz, so not 400 additional MHz.
As far as OC'ing them, I can only assume you would get only slightly more out of the 1800+, due to it's newer architecture. But, if it's the Palomino, both the would be 180nm.

Why not bench them both? Both stock and OC? I would actually like to see what you can get with the KV7.

The xp1800 would be a decent server processor.

I still have a bunch of dual P3 servers running out there.

Back