• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the Best linux distro for programming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeshrel

Registered
Hi,

Which is the BEST linux distro for programming like "python, html, c, c++, java, php and perl" so that all the features of the programming language can be used to it fullest. Thank you

Most of the distro's all support those (if not out of the box) with very easy add ons.

Generally speaking you might find Ubuntu the best because it has a very wide select of IDE's. Though Fedora is known for being the "bleeding edge" in terms of newest software.

I would guess it depends on your overall goals

thanks, i see you have certified in novell n lpic is it worth it? does it have scope interms of job and what does LPIC teach us

I use Fedora 13, and it's absolutely great. Co-workers are using Ubuntu and are happy with it also.

thanks, i see you have certified in novell n lpic is it worth it? does it have scope interms of job and what does LPIC teach us

Instead of repeating myself I am just going to link you to the front page where I actually did an article on my general reflections on the Linux Certs I have

In short I think the LPIC are fairly good and worth while

@Stratus_ss - The article was very usefull.. i confused whether to do CCIE -Security or any other Linux system or network administrator course. Kindly help, thank you.

Last edited:
I use Ubuntu. It's fine, though I haven't tried many others.

Just about any linux distro should support the languages you want to play with and the IDEs that may often go along with them, so what matters more is ease of use and support. Ubuntu is great in that regard.

I'd say Gentoo, but I'm biased. I use it for everything (laptops, desktops, web servers), including toasters (if anybody ever gives me a toaster with a decent CPU).

Like others have said, pick whichever distro is your favorite (and if you don't have a favorite, then you should try a bunch and then arbitrarily decide that Gentoo is your favorite), because they're all pretty much equally good for programming (and Gentoo is first among equals :p).

+1 to Mint.. though I'm still using 10 it's still very easy to use and from what I could tell, updated much more frequently

Back