• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which LCD for $500-$700: Dell 2407 or ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sure did! :D Just checked. A03 :santa:

I'm totally happy so far.

I think installing the actual 2407 monitor driver is an excellent idea for optimal results (with any high-end panel IMO). Installing the 2407 monitor driver also creates a Color Profile specifically for it...

:cool:

I can verify that 1080i/p over DVI is a NO GO with this moniter, with my A02 anywyas.

Randy, is there anyway you can feed a 1080i signal over dvi to this moniter since you have A03 to see if it works? I'd be very grateful.

I don't have any HD Sources besides my PC. Is there a way to force my x800GTO video card into 1080i mode via DVI? Right now, I just have my desktop set to 1920x1200, and the 2407 interfaces via DVI. I Downloaded some short HD Trailers and some NASA footage - and it all looks pretty darn good through WMP and the K-Lite Codec pack (minus some of the compression artifacts).

I am still confused on how this 2407 can obviously display 1920x1200 Progressive images from my PC Desktop via DVI - then why can't it do 1920x1080 Progressive with 120 Pixels worth of "Black Bars" (60 pixels on top and 60 pixels on bottom)? Is it an HDCP issue - or what? What am I missing (or what don't I understand) about this limitation?

Please clarify, and also give any info on how i can test for 1080i compatibilty with my x800GTO for you...

Thanks

PS - you know what else - The day I got the monitor - I also got a 20% off LCD coupon from Dell. :mad: . I called them, and tried to have them credit the 20% discount back to my card - but no go. They said I can ship the monitor back to them (cancel the order), and buy a new one with the 20% discount. What kind of sense does that make? For one - Dell would have an "Open Box" 2407 in exchange for sending me another brand new 2407 - in adition they would have to eat shipping again on the replacement. Seems totally backwards to me (bad for me, and bad for Dell). Has anyone successfully applied a Dell Coupon after the sale was completed?

Last edited:
You can't test it with the video card, as far as i know. You need an HDTV cable box or something along those lines. Thanks for the willingness to help though.

Apparantly, the problem lies with some chip in the LCD that doesn't support 1080i/p. Ther's more to it than just being able to run the resolution aparrantly.

I just got through reading just about every thread at the dell forums, and alot of people are saying the banding has imporved again with this revision.

The official word from the dell mod is that the revision just changed language support and the OSD, but noone believes him. Too many people have been reporting fixed banding.

Apple 20"

I would get a cinema display if i were you. there absolutely beautiful. and there like 650 with edu discount. But the dell's work too.

Last edited:
Mad Butter said:
I would get a cinema display if i were you. there absolutely beautiful. and there like 650 with edu discount. But the dell's work too.

Well, the Dell 2407WFP is a 24". The Dell Equivalent to a 20" Apple Cinema Diasplay is a Dell 2007WFP, and only costs $351 with a 20% off coupon ;) . I'm not a student, anyways.

I'm plenty happy with my 24" 2407WFP, thank you. :p

Just thought I would bump this with some more info on the A03 revision 2407WFP.

The Banding issues on the entire "07" line of Dell LCD's seems to be caused by the internal Video processing. On the 2407 A03 update, they disabled this procesing in "DESKTOP" mode only. "Multimedia Mode" and "Gaming Mode" still use Video processing

I have run gradient tests with my 2407WFP A03, and it is clear that Multimedia modes and Gaming modes STILL HAVE SEVERE BANDING (how "severe" is in the eye of the beholder ;) ). Switch to Desktop mode - and all banding is GONE - a smooth gradient horizontally and vertically.

Like others mentioned - some of the "XX05" line had Revisions upto A06 - so we might still expect a few more revisions for the 2407. The "Force 1:1" feature is also not working (needed for displaying 1920x1080 signals 1:1) - but not a big deal for me.

I'm keeping mine. For desktop use, and even for watching HD WMV format stuff - it is perfectly fine in "Desktop" mode. I'll buy a large Plasma for my HDTV Viewing Pleasure, and leave the 2407 sitting on my PC desk where it belongs as a PC MONITOR ;)

My Dell 2407 is on the fedex vehicle for delivery at the moment =)

Will let you know on the stats.

Does your DELL "forget" it's settings? I heard users complain of that. It's sad that they disable the video processing unit. 244T by Samsung doesn't suffer from this but I hear it suffers from input lag. I already have a 213T and its DULL. My office 2405WFP decimates my 213T in terms of color, brightness, and overall display.

BTW...How do I check for backlight bleeding?

Fantastic, Manbush! Same reults as I see with my A03.

To check Backlight Bleeding - use a full-screen image of pure black. The screen should be solid black w/o any lighter areas near the edge of the screen. This is easiest to see in a dark room. My Dell 2000FP had some pretty bad bleeding - but the 2407 is totally black (no bleed)!

I'm sure there will be a few more revisions on this monitor to fix the lingering Banding issues, and to fix the "Fixed Aspect Ratio" issues...

manbush said:
I just got my DELL.....IS AWWWWWWSEEEEEEOMMMMMEEEE!

With A03 revision, I SEE NO BANDING. Tested by http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59690566.1920Gradient.png

HOWEVER when I go into gaming mode or movie mode, i see banding. Desktop mode is fine though.

So do you just leave it set to desktop mode for whatever you happen to be doing? If so what's the purpose of these other modes?

Good question! ;)

They use Video Processing to "enhance" the image. But if that Enhancement comes with the penalty of noticeable banding - that pretty much makes them useless. Scenes with Sun or Moon shots in them seem to show banding really intensely in Gaming/Multimedia modes. At other times - the banding is not noticeable in those other modes. It just depends on the source material.

I guess the R&D and QC team at Dell is legally blind - or on drugs for them not to have seen this long ago. You'd think a Gradient Test is "Standard Operating Procedure" on ANY company's QC of a new display product, huh?

That said - the panel itself is awesome, and the fit and finish is top notch. Someone dropped the ball, and they are just now picking up the rebound, and trying for another Slam Dunk...

I will also say that shipping a REFUBISHED MONITOR to a first time buyer is ridiculous (many people complained about this). I recieved a factory fresh A03 - and hopefully every one else will, too.

On desktop mode...OH MY GOD..THE MONITOR IS PERFECT.

When I switch to Movie mode..i see..slight banding. When I switch to Gaming mode, I see banding.

The monitor I have has NO flaws except it came with two scratches on the bezel...Dell is sending me a replacement till then I can use this monitor. When my replacement arrives, they will reset my 30 day satisfaction garantee.

Well I'm new here but have been reading(researching this monitor) for awhile now. Mine arrived yesterday, got coupon could'nt resist. Its A03 so that was good. It's just like everyone has been saying, desktop mode its perfect, simple as that, no dead pixels , no lag, I've seen some complain about some wierd stuff when they move mouse fast over bright areas and I see no green or pink pixels that they talk about when I do it.

I'm NOT a fan of LCD's at all, actually I'd go so far as to say I hate them, but after a day and checking out things I'm pretty impressed so far. Still have more things to test/try but its a joy so far.

Ok well Im back, the DVI D cord arrived and I have now ran it through some tests using dvi-d. Well zero banding using desktop mode, so being thats this displays biggest problem thats good at least. Its sharp as all hell really, but also its so high res at times thats kind of insane lol.

High def looks amazing on it, simple as that. Now I've seen people complain that dvd, tv etc etc does'nt look that great on it. Well to that I can only say duh, same thing when you have a high def tv. You put any low res source on it and blow the picture up to 65 inches or whatever you can so easily see every flaw in low res content it kinda sucks. I had a projector and using a 120inch screen it was just insane, but high def content blows your mind.

Im into gaming and it does have um well im not sure what I'd call it but say Im playing WOW and rotate camera in circle panning smears, even when not moving it fast. But its also bigger , brighter and for sure sharper than I've EVER seen it before. Its just insane. So aside from that issue and some websites when scrolling down the page and little wigging/tearing at times it does its a perfect display.

Now I'll tell you right now. I HATE LCD's, period. But aside from those two issues, which I can live with the webpage thing, i mean really who cares its just scrolling down thats an issue. But the in game pans smearing are annoying as hell, but WOW is also a game that runs at true 1900x1200 res in the ingame options. It still says 60fps or more during play so maybe its all LCD limitation, maybe some slight vid card at an insane res issue. I can live with it I think though as other than that one thing everything else seems flawless to me so far.

Ive not checked the inputs , say component or whatever because I mean really whats the point. My pc is the center of my home theater so it plays back ALL content no matter what it is , be it dvd, HD, regular tv, games and music.

Anyway I was worried for awhile after seeing all the complaints about this display. And being picky and into quality, and HATING LCD's if I can enjoy it I'd bet most people can as well. Only thing I can think of is other inputs are'nt as hot and some will want xbox360, HD DVD or something one day so that might limit a choice. But for me Im enjoying it. Think I'll break out some dvds and run them through all the tests now I usually do.

Back