• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these is the better OCer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darknecron

I may be buying a new motherboard sometime in the next few months, as the audio jacks on mine are starting to fail.

Which of these is the better OCer?

BIOSTAR G41M7

MSI G41M-P23

If you suggest a mobo, keep the following in mind;

My budget is around $50 (college student, no financial aid atm >.> )
Needs to be LGA 775...DDR2 is preferable, but I can get DDR3 if necessary.

Preliminary thanks to everyone.

Well, if you want something that will overclock well Id suggest going w/ a used board.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676348

That Abit IP35 is a great overclocker and an alright deal. If you can, try and find a P45 board for around $50-$60 (they come up now and again) like the Asus P5Q-Pro or Gigabyte EP45. Both of those boards should push that quad to close to 4ghz.

I really wouldnt suggest a G41 (its really no better than a G31 for oc'ing) if you really want to overclock. Of the 2 boards listed, either will OC about that same (they will both be chipset limited and not so much manufacturer/quality limited).

G41 chipset will not overclock well, if any at all maybe 50-100mhz if you're lucky, nothing more. I would possibly suggest a P43/P45 chipset, or possibly a 7xxi if you can find one.

G41 chipset will not overclock well, if any at all maybe 50-100mhz if you're lucky, nothing more. I would possibly suggest a P43/P45 chipset, or possibly a 7xxi if you can find one.

I definitely agree with this, but would stress more towards the P45 (for ddr2), or X58 (for ddr3) the later being much more user friendly. I personally don't like Nvidia chipsets though as they dont handle high FSB as well, and most often come with other buggy hardware like Realtec LAN (witch always gives me driver issues on any OS)

I just pulled my ASUS P5Q out of my rig in January, Was always happy with that board! If you really twist my arm because you cant find one for around $50 I might throw it up on the classifieds here for ya. (I really wanna keep it though) Duhh NVM,, realized you are looking at microatx's

Last edited:
Back