• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which of these gpu's can fit on my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ali_g

hi, i'm wanting to upgrade my gpu
i'd like to know which, or if, these gpu's can fit my motherboard
i don't trust myself enough to go by my own knowledge i'd rather get a confirmation from someone who's certain

they're both RTX 2080's

my motherboard is made by: Dell
and it's model is: 0VYXHD

let me know if i need more information

i have quite a big case its kind of huge, the computers not more than 2 years old it's relatively modern

here are the gpu's i'm looking at, my budget is around $1000 or less, hopefully at least one of them do if not both, also i'm not sure which i think is better either

also if you know a different place i can look at that's cool, i hope this isn't asking too much

here is the link:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=9SIAKRGB7C8654,9SIAKRG9MS2964

thank you

Maybe you could tells us the model of the computer and full system specs including any modifications and upgrades. Provided the motherboard has a PCIe x 16 lane slot then it should "fit" the card.

Next is the question of physical size. The manufacturer for each card will list this on their webpage, then you measure, if you cannot find the info from Dell.

Finally and most importantly, is power delivery. Can you take a picture of the power supply sticker included in the computer? Does it have any 8pin VGA connectors? Does it have any extra molex or sata connectors? Dell's stuff has a lot of propriety setups especially with the PSU and motherboard, so figuring out if and how to power such a card may present a challenge.

As Z said, the two big questions are:

1. Is the case roomy enough to accommodate the length of the video card?
2. Is the power supply adequate? Does it put out enough watts to power that video card and are there two 8 pin connectors from the PSU available to plug into the video card? 600 watts is recommended to handle the card's power draw but that would apply to a reasonably good quality PSU, not some bargain basement unit with inflated specs.

If you are unsure, I would contact Dell and ask them:
1. What is the maximum length of video card this computer can accept?
2. What is the wattage of the PSU and does it have two 8 pin 12 volt connectors to power the video card?
3. In case the PSU is inadequate, can I upgrade it with an aftermarket PSU? Are the connectors between the PSU and the motherboard proprietary?

The other issue to explore with us is the strength of the microprocessor. You can upgrade the GPU to an RTX 2080 but you will still be bottlenecked in games if your CPU is weak. As Z said, it would be helpful to us to know what is the model of the computer so we can look up it's specs.

Last edited:
He gave the model number of the MB in 1st post, "0VYXHD" :)

System Information
[oldtable]Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Model | Dell Inc. Inspiron 5676
Motherboard | Dell Inc. 0VYXHD
Memory | 16.00 GB DDR4 SDRAM 1198MHz
Northbridge | AMD Ryzen SOC 00
Southbridge | AMD X370 51
BIOS | Dell Inc. 1.0.0|[/table]
Processor Information
Name | AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Topology | 1 Processor, 8 Cores, 16 Threads
Identifier | AuthenticAMD Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
Base Frequency | 3.20 GHz
Maximum Frequency | 3.78 GHz

Last edited:
That same motherboard may have been used in other computer models with different case, CPU and RAM configurations.

Last edited:
That same motherboard may have been used in other computer models with different case, CPU and RAM configurations.
Right....

So, X370 will 'fit' on the motherboard.

THe OP needs to figure out if the card fits inside the case....(among the other points you brought up).

... but something tells me there is a language barrier here.

yes sorry for lack of info
it is a inspiron 5676 like WhitHawk said
i'm calling them now to ask the questions

the computer is only almost a year old, it was one of the newest computers dell had at the time

i should have the answers really soon and i'll post again

thanks btw

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

oh and about it being able to fit in my case, my computer case is very big it should fit in there fine i can't imagine a bigger case than this one but i will ask

it's also a ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3.7ghz cpu, 16gb memory

just making sure i add everything

i just called them

the person didn't know anything and couldnt answer the questions
she said that "they don't have access to this information"

i think she just is uninformed or uneducated enough

i don't know how to find out this info now, i might have to take it to best buy or something and see if they can check for me

ok, ill check. so if the measurements are good, then how else can i find out the other info? i don't know these things too well

The power supply has a label on it with values... snap a pic...

...see if it has the required pcie connectors for the card. Either a 6 and 8 pin, or two 8 pins..

so, the power supply turns out to be weak and in need of an upgrade, it says "Max Power 460W"

and i measured, the gpu in there already fits perfectly in there, at 9.5 inches long

or about 23 cm long

24.13cm to be exact

so i checked the gpus are both too big for my computer

i mean all i did was measure my gpu because it looked like it filled up the entire space, the end of the gpu was touching the wall, maybe i don't know how to do this properly and it can go further i dont know

but all of this im going to just take it to a tech person to sort this all out for me

thanks u guys for helping me

Pictures are worth 1000 words... but sounds like you are screwed by that case.

But yeah... at stock speeds only, that PSU may be OK. But its 12V amperage needs to all be there (on the label it should show detailed info).

Last edited:
And there is still the question of whether the PSU can be upgraded because of possible proprietary connections.

oh jeez that would be really bad

i'd be destroyed if that is the case

Here's the pdf of your service manual. Starting at page 41 describes swapping the video card. Starting at page 50 talks about the PSU swap.
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-5676-gaming-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

oh thanks ok ill check it

is that really possible? that the PSU might not be able to be replaced and upgraded?

LOL, slow down bud... get your thoughts together, you are automerging posts like a madman, lol!

Anyway, it is possible... what does your manual say the size of the PSU is? Is it standard ATX or smaller?

EDIT: Looking in the manual, if that is anything to scale/the right case, it looks like a full-size PSU so that shouldn't be an issue. LOOKS though. You'll need to confirm (perhaps by emailing Dell or taking it out and measuring it... PSUs come in standard sizes... ;) ).

Back