• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one is best for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

So I've been looking at motherboards, which is probably what i have lined up as my next upgrade, but I still have a lot to learn. A friend pointed out the 99fxa-UD3, but I want to know the difference between it and its big brothers, the ud5 and ud7.

Also, I've seen a few threads down below this one about "Vdroop" and "Vdrop" and I'd like to know what these are and if I should worry with them.

I use this computer to game, but I also do some benching on it (this isn't important, it's just because it's my only rig) and I will have an install I use for work (since my laptop pooped out on me >> ) so I'll have AutoCAD/AlphaCam/StoneVision and my programming suites, I usually use VS2010 Pro. I want to overclock as far as possible for daily use ( I will be upgrading the cpu after the motherboard.. probably when BD comes out and I can get an 100t for cheap )

but ulitmately what I want to know is.. is the price difference worth it? and if you know any others I may be interested in, do tell.. especially if they're all black :p

links..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

At this time, I would likely go with one of the Asus motherboards that normally has LLC setting in bios to beat off that Vdroop problem. I would download the manual for the Asus board I chose and look in the Bios section and make sure that Load Line Callibration (LLC) was in the bios for the board I chose and go from there.

Of course others will see this differently, but you are asking personalized opinions. Luck to you however you decide to go.

I would purchase the cheaper of the 3 board. The other 2 boards support 3way SLI and CrossFireX and 4 way.

All 3 have the same VRM 8+2 phase, so board longevity will last the same amount.:popcorn::cool:

So the only significant differences in those three are SLi and CrossFire support (as far as number of cards supported)? and I supposed number of PCI-E cards too

What exactly is the Vdroop thing? I read a lot of stuff on it but a lot of the articles went over my head. and I'd never heard of it before, either, which i find odd

Just a little bump to see if anyone knows more. Is this Vdroop worth worrying over? It seems like it's kind of a big deal but I'm not sure how much it will actually affect anything. Also after hearing a little more about these new zambezi chips I may upgrade to a bulldozer 6-core after my motherboard upgrade, but I'd have to do a bit more saving up for that

EDIT: As opposed to a 1090t or 1100t that is

I would not worry about Vdroop with the board your looking at.

Is that because it's not major on that particular board or because it's not a huge issue anyway? Either way I suppose that's really reassuring, now that i have my heart set on one of those blacked out Gigabyte boards with a new bulldozer chip :drool:

Also, I've seen a few threads down below this one about "Vdroop" and "Vdrop" and I'd like to know what these are and if I should worry with them.

Vdroop refers to the CPU voltage falling off under load from what it was set to in bios.

Vdrop refers to the CPU voltage falling off at idle from what it was set to in bios.

Many boards these days build in an automatic offset for both and may also provide a bios setting called LLC (Load Line Calibration) to manually adjust the offset.

Its not a huge deal one way or the other because no matter how you do it the point is to provide sufficient juice to maintain stability under load.

These boards are designed for next gen cpus ( read Bulldozer ) so there can be problems with vdrop on older cpus but from what I noticed more cores = bigger vdrop.
I can't see big vdrop using PII x2 560 on UD5 and it's running @~4.1GHz, 1.475V for last weeks. I'm waiting for 2 things for these boards. 1. fixed cpu unlocking option 2. LLC option in bios . Everything else is working fine.
As it was already mentioned if you wont use more than 1-2 gfx cards then go for UD3. Other boards are almost the same with difference in PCIe slot config.
If price leaks are correct then 6-8 core BD can be in the same price or not much higher than 1090/1100t.

Vdroop refers to the CPU voltage falling off under load from what it was set to in bios.

Vdrop refers to the CPU voltage falling off at idle from what it was set to in bios.

Many boards these days build in an automatic offset for both and may also provide a bios setting called LLC (Load Line Calibration) to manually adjust the offset.

Its not a huge deal one way or the other because no matter how you do it the point is to provide sufficient juice to maintain stability under load.

That helps a lot, thank you :)

These boards are designed for next gen cpus ( read Bulldozer ) so there can be problems with vdrop on older cpus but from what I noticed more cores = bigger vdrop.
I can't see big vdrop using PII x2 560 on UD5 and it's running @~4.1GHz, 1.475V for last weeks. I'm waiting for 2 things for these boards. 1. fixed cpu unlocking option 2. LLC option in bios . Everything else is working fine.
As it was already mentioned if you wont use more than 1-2 gfx cards then go for UD3. Other boards are almost the same with difference in PCIe slot config.
If price leaks are correct then 6-8 core BD can be in the same price or not much higher than 1090/1100t.

Yess I love that $188 price point. It's still a little more than a 1090t/1100t so I'd have to save up but it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd just have to scrounge up some change here and there.

So when you say UD5, you mean this particular one though? I'm thinking I'll go for it. UD7 is useless to me as my case only has 7 expansion slots and I want to keep room for a cpx psu if I decide to go that route. This effectively limits my expansion to triple SLi/Crossfire so UD5 is more than enough.

But thanks for the help guys.. if there's anything else you want to add, I'll keep checking back for a while

Back