• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Operating System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bambamshere

I was talking to someone the other day and am building a system right now and decided to go with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and not Windows 8 not sure if anyone else likes Windows 8. If I could have gone with WIN98 I would have lol.

WIN98 in my opinion was like the last good Windows operating system. XP wasn't bad either.

What do you all think.

I may be dating myself but I also liked Windows 3.1. Ok yup dating myself.

Windows 8.1 but immediately install http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

Just for fun, try using it without Classic Shell for a little bit, but judging by your post I am guessing you will start pulling your hair out in frustration of how the user interface in Windows 8 has been set up but I might be wrong...

Just remember there is no need to install Windows 7, just install Windows 8 + Classic Shell then

do this: DisableCharms.png

Then do this:

Start Button Image.png

And here is a Windows XP button image if you like Windows XP: Windows XP.png

or here's even a Windows 98 button if you want that:
Windows9x.png

I was talking to someone the other day and am building a system right now and decided to go with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and not Windows 8 not sure if anyone else likes Windows 8. If I could have gone with WIN98 I would have lol.

WIN98 in my opinion was like the last good Windows operating system. XP wasn't bad either.

What do you all think.

I may be dating myself but I also liked Windows 3.1. Ok yup dating myself.

I just had flashbacks of logging out to dos and using a giant box of floppy discs to play my games haha

Yeah, I installed classic shell right off the bat.

But I reverted and am actually not using it atm, once you learn you're way around it a bit it's kind of interesting.

The beauty of Classic Shell is it takes you to Desktop upon boot up where everyone with a mouse wants to go. But simple SHIFT + Start Menu Button gets you into Metro immediately.

We don't spend more time in Metro than we do in Desktop so going to Metro is more useful to have as an option rather than having Desktop as an option. In other words, Desktop is default for most of us, not an option.

Windows 98 still gives me nightmares, lol

I also vote windows 8.x pro. Just install classic shell like said above or start8. It so nice. Also there are applications made by star dock that let you run the entire entity of metro within a window on your desktop, I believe it's called fences or something.

I wonder what the advantage of that is? In classic Shell freeware: Shift+ Start Button = Metro
ESC = Desktop.

You get both quickly.

I was torn between Windows 7 and Windows 8. I decided to go with 8 because it's the latest and it actually performs fantastic. I high recommend it. It's top notch and you'll learn it fairly quickly.

Not sure what to do wish steam os was out or Ubuntu was still free till I figured it out

I just went to ubuntu and I guess it is still free oppsy

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the advantage of that is? In classic Shell freeware: Shift+ Start Button = Metro
ESC = Desktop.

You get both quickly.

Being able to run all windows 8 applications and games within a window along the rest of your windows. Like the whole original point of the first version windows :shock: :D

I was very hesitant to go to 8.1 but I have and I got no issues with it using Metro interface. I will admit in the first hour I was beginning to wonder if I made a mistake but now im good :)

I find it very cool actually :thup:

OP, you mentioned Win98, remember to that one there were 2 editions a first and second edition with 2 being much better as I recall. Then came the disaster that was WinMe which I still have a copy of. One of these days In going to slap some old parts together and install ME to show the youngsters in the house what we used to have to use LOL.

ME was a real mess, he he.

Me was awesome despite some stability issues, (edit: lol that is funny psychologically speaking) and Vista was the bomb, unless you ran the pirated version, or any of it with the 8800 series of nVidia video cards.

1 year after "nvidia fixed the problem" it was still a problem. Vista was the first OS that ran for a year + for for me (first windows GUI OS) that did not need a reinstall.

XP was SOOOOO bad, just was better than it predecessors. I HATE logging into XP boxes now, because I know that apps will be slow, boot will be slow, Everything will be... slowwwwwwwwwww

Core i3 CPUs are awesome, with 4 numbers and no U in them. Unless someone actually puts XP on the box. Then OMG slow.....

I never got 8. Too smart phoney for me. Phoney Foney. Phony. for myself. (lol not Me)

Last edited:
Yesterday I went and picked up all the parts for new system and picked up a copy of win8 not sure how I will like it yet. Still on old one new one is sitting beside me all put together. lol

Me was awesome despite some stability issues, (edit: lol that is funny psychologically speaking) and Vista was the bomb, unless you ran the pirated version, or any of it with the 8800 series of nVidia video cards.

1 year after "nvidia fixed the problem" it was still a problem. Vista was the first OS that ran for a year + for for me (first windows GUI OS) that did not need a reinstall.

XP was SOOOOO bad, just was better than it predecessors. I HATE logging into XP boxes now, because I know that apps will be slow, boot will be slow, Everything will be... slowwwwwwwwwww

Core i3 CPUs are awesome, with 4 numbers and no U in them. Unless someone actually puts XP on the box. Then OMG slow.....

I never got 8. Too smart phoney for me. Phoney Foney. Phony. for myself. (lol not Me)

If you say so, I hated ME dumped it fast, and used Vista a long time myself even though many seemed not to like it.

I'm using vista right now and I hate it. I have had to re install it about 4 times in the past 3.5 years but like I said when I started this if I could go back I would install win98. Lot easier to us. But we will see what win8 going to be like. Installing in about 5 min.

Back