• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Operating System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OH I won't be putting anything on here or ranting about it till at least next week. I will see how things go. I guess.

I keep meaning to try out 8, as the improvements to it are supposed to exceed the drawbacks, and it has been long enough that as pointed out there are desktop replacements for it.

I was slow to adopt windows 7 because they broke networking on it compared to Vista. But after SP1, and a few file hacks, and disabling some of the Aero "Features" I get a system that is an improved version of Vista.

But 7 is still so good, that I might just wait for 9, since 8.2 is not going to happen.

Been using 8/8.1 for almost a year. I find it a great OS. The things under the hood are pretty nice to say the least. The Modern interface I think is cool as well however as a desktop user it's not really intuitive as Id like. Installing Classic Shell does the trick. I think most of this has been said but I recommend 8/8.1. Just install Classic Shell if you are a desktop user. For touch screens I think the Modern interface is definitely a good choice. I'll also say that I too think its a bit 'Phoney" lol

Z

I put my old Win7 X64 on the bedroom HTPC I built about a month ago, and like 8.1.

Just saying.

The wife is still driving Vista x64 and I can't get her off it, though she's learning the others.

:shrug:

The "phoney" thing is easy to dodge pretty much, I don't own a smart phone myself.

Decided to make the leap over to 8.1. Took a little getting used to but overall a really nice os. Installed the Classic Shell and I'm happy :clap:

I have 8.1 in mine and not sure if anyone has done this yet but if you have one running win7 and one running win 8.1 it seems to me 8.1 is faster starting up.

Yes I have a quadruple boot with identical programs installed. Win 7/XP/8/Vista. Windows 8 is fastest to boot. It is also snappier than 7. It is also identical to Win 7, thank you very much original author of Classic Shell, Ivo B.

I never have to see Metro unless I specifically click to go there. I never ever have to see Charms, by far the best bonus. If I had to jump through those Charms Circus Hoops, I would not use Windows 8. As simple as that. Classic Shell saved us big.

I'm still running on vista ULT. Still running rock solid, despite what others may say :)

Is your Vista on SSD?

SSD gives you a big boost no matter which OS.

Back