• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which path to take..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

I am planning on building probably 1 more system for a while(it may take a few months to get the parts). I want it to have a black and red theme. It must be good at doing everything(gaming, encoding, etc) and be able to overclock well. I just bought this case: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011751&prodlist=celebros $59.99 w/$20 mir and I was going to go w/AMD but I can't find a 790gx mobo that I will be happy with. so I started looking at the Intel mobos and came across this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186175 (love the black/red color scheme!!!) I definitely want a Quad-core proc and was looking at the i5 750 and wonder how well it overclocks. I had an i7 920 from Fry's that was part of a combo, but my idiot butt sold it to make a profit. SO what I'm asking is should I stick with going with AMD or try Intel? I want it to be fairly future proof also...For the price I paid for the case, i may find a different one with a window...

I must go with Intel, not for any solid reason, to be fair its a bit better than AMD -recoding /bench mark wise-

My reason is more of the verity type, you are running AMD right now, your undecided on the route to take, the 750 is a great little overclocker so why not.

I see you mentioned "Future Proofing" both are as much "proofed" as your getting right now, wait for 32nm (you said buying over the next few months so buy the little things right now (ssd perhaps) and wait.

NOOOO, don't buy SSD right now! Prices are still coming down.

Yeah prices are coming down but for the performance increase Its worth its cash.

Im talking about 32nm coming out Q2 2010, ssd's dropping any real amount is Q4 if we are really lucky

I would at least wait for fermi. If encoding can be done much faster with GPU acceleration then getting a high end CPU may not be needed.

Back