• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which pump would be best for my setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moheban79

Hi,

Got three rads i want to link together to use with a Heatkiller 4 cpu block and two EK Gpu blocks for two evga 980 ti gpus. Have primochil 7/16 tubing, and a Koolance pmp-500. Read its a loud mother so have an EK Revo XTop on the way and a 250 mm bitspower rad. Would the Koolance be better despite the noise or the Ek pump? Also Confused about if I should firts link all rads tother and then run to rad to cpu to gpu to rad or break it up going rad to cpu to rad to gpu rad?

Any advice be appreciated,

Thanks

Sequence of parts doesn't matter. Res attached to pump or res before pump. Temp differences in a loop vary by less than 2c. AND... covered in the stickies here and in a bazillion posts. Best tube routing is usually best and best looking. Covered in the stickies. Water must always first go to the pump, so res first. Covered in the stickies. Koolance pmp-500 I'm sure is just a variance of the classic Lang brand original manufacturer of ALLLL D-5 Vario pumps AND the DDC series. Many aftermarket places like Swiftech have done great thing s with pump tops to increase flow rates etc, AKA, the MCP-50. The DDC series of pump styles has improved on the electrical end, as has the D-5 side. Many are selling the PWM motors, controllable by speed from the PWM signal from the mobo. Might want to learn a bit more. A D-5 basic or Vario or newer D-5 PWM pumps is one of the very quietest pumps on the market. Been that way since I have watercooled starting back in 2009. It hasn't changed, the MCP-50 (as was the DDC-3.5 back in 2009) will have more head pressure, but you really don't need it.

Koolance rebranded a solar panel 24 VDC pump and even had a fancy PSU just for it back in the day for just a tiny gain of pressure etc. Silly Koolance. They have stepped up their game, they were a laughing stock of the WC world for more than a few years. Nice blocks for sure IMHO now. Normal pumps, good rads.

Read up on pumps a bit more, we have good stickies take the time to read. I spent 3 months hanging out before I bought one part. It's a hobby, not an end game.:)

Last edited:
That koolance pump will be noisier and get pretty warm from what I've heard in the past. A EK D5 pump and res is fine.

As Con explained. Loop order doesn't matter as long as the pump is being fed naturally by the res.

What exact radiators are you talking about btw?

Thanks for the advice. Will read the sticky guides more closely. My rads are a black ice nemesis 360 thin rad for top of case where spacing is short, a black ice sr-2 280 rad for front of case, and a Monsta 240 thick rad for bottom of case. Planning on overclocking a 5820k or might buy a 6850k maybe using a Heatkiller block, and two EK Classy Gpu blocks on two 980 ti kingpins.

Thanks

The 360 and one of the other two rads would have been more then enough. Having that much rad will give you LOTS of wiggle room for lower fan speeds but get some decent fans that like to push the air through. With Monstas, I like to advise push and pull because of its thickness.

Hi,

I have a number of high static pressure black high rpm gentle typhoon fans and noctua 140mm fans.

Thanks

Okies! So spend less on pumpage I guess, your cooking with butter. Questions on the old stickies is fine, they do have some fuzz around the edges now.

Take a look at Swiftechs D5 PWM series. Or a MCP50 PWM which would be more than enough. I ran their older one the MCP35 PWM, and I loved it with the attached res. Same on the MCP50. I also ran two DDC 3.2 from them before on two loops, and a D5 vario before that on my first rig. Dunno who from, I'm old.

Back