• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which pumps for big loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OddsCrazyStuff

Registered
2 of these: https://shop.ekwb.co...plexi-incl-pump
This one: https://shop.ekwb.co...wm-incl-2x-pump
Or 2 of these: http://shop.aquacomp...roducts_id=3379

Only issue I can see with Aquastream, is this: Permitted coolants: DP Ultra, alternatively water with max. 30 % glycol
So not sure if that means Mayhems X1 works with it.

I will be using an Aquaero 6 PRO to control whatever pumps I get.
And the issue with that is that the Aqua Computer forum claims that EK's PWM dont work properly with Aquaero.

So I'm a bit confused as to what setup works with what.

And in terms of head pressure needs, so will I be using up to 10 blocks and 4x 480mm radiators.

Don't grab a PWM D5 from any company other than the Aquacomputer version or it won't work or you'll have to mod the pump in order for it to work. You're better off buying the pumps from AQ imo or the MCP35X as I have. You'll have to figure out if you want the AQ PWM pump or aquabus versions. With that much gear, you'll surely want a dual serial pump setup.

Don't grab a PWM D5 from any company other than the Aquacomputer version or it won't work or you'll have to mod the pump in order for it to work. You're better off buying the pumps from AQ imo or the MCP35X as I have. You'll have to figure out if you want the AQ PWM pump or aquabus versions. With that much gear, you'll surely want a dual serial pump setup.
I already have 2 D5 from EK, so I just added that option, in case it was good enough.

Also, I was dead set on getting AQ pumps, until I read that they might not work with Mayhems X1 and I just like there liquids better (plus I havent heard about anyone who uses AQ coolant).

Two things you did wrong. Not going with AQ pumps for the sake of the AQ 6 and wanting to use dyes.

You need to mod, literally, those pumps in order for them to work with the AQ because the D5s PWM for some reason aren't using the PWM standard.

Here's the mod if you're interested.

Permitted coolants is total hogwash. The pumps themselves have no copper or aluminum and are mostly if not 100% Delryn in the wetted areas. The pumps don't care if it's even vodka.

Aqua is protecting themselves from the idiots that run Mayhems dyes, fancy colored blingy water colors etc. The massive emails and phone calls from peeps that didn't listen and bought fluid at $20 for a liter, when distilled or RO or Deionized water would be fine. Distilled water and a biocide is all you need.

Many of us been at this a while. Like Emergency Room doctors. We see all sorts of crazy things and poor results from the wrong decisions. My first loop back in 2007 was distilled water and a biocide. I never had any issues as many others here also haven't.

Last month a guy posted his Mayhem pastel issue, we told him so before he did it. And a few months before another we helped build the rig. It never ends this S%^t.

Last edited:
Two things you did wrong. Not going with AQ pumps for the sake of the AQ 6 and wanting to use dyes.

You need to mod, literally, those pumps in order for them to work with the AQ because the D5s PWM for some reason aren't using the PWM standard.

Here's the mod if you're interested.
I went with them before I knew that my Asus MB sucks at PWM control and that EK PWM is not working correctly.
Guess I need to sell them and get AQ pumps.

Permitted coolants is total hogwash. The pumps themselves have no copper or aluminum and are mostly if not 100% Delryn in the wetted areas. The pumps don't care if it's even vodka.

Aqua is protecting themselves from the idiots that run Mayhems dyes, fancy colored blingy water colors etc. The massive emails and phone calls from peeps that didn't listen and bought fluid at $20 for a liter, when distilled or RO or Deionized water would be fine. Distilled water and a biocide is all you need.

Many of us been at this a while. Like Emergency Room doctors. We see all sorts of crazy things and poor results from the wrong decisions. My first loop back in 2007 was distilled water and a biocide. I never had any issues as many others here also haven't.

Last month a guy posted his Mayhem pastel issue, we told him so before he did it. And a few months before another we helped build the rig. It never ends this S%^t.

So they should work fine with Mayhems X1?
The reason I'm sticking with coloured liquid, is because coloured tubes and black blocks dont look as nice.

Okay, don't say we didn't warn you. Physics before bling. That's why buildings don't fall down. Engineers and scientists add pretty colors after the math and science is done.

Dayum, only 2 days using that crap :eek:

Hey Con, the OP has been warned. I don't wanna see him coming back crying about the Mayhems toilet cleaner gunked up his system. :rolleyes: It's on him.

Okay, don't say we didn't warn you. Physics before bling. That's why buildings don't fall down. Engineers and scientists add pretty colors after the math and science is done.

Guess thats the price for making it look good.
If it happens. I'm not defending Mayhems, but it seems we are talking % change of it happening, and not a guaranty that it will.

On a scale of 10 people using mayhems or any other dye coolant, 7-8 of them suffer the same issue. That's a pretty large % if you ask me.

We don't warn people just because we want to post. It's been proven time and time again that it will happen. I had it happen to me as well and countless others on this forum.

Have fun-

On a scale of 10 people using mayhems or any other dye coolant, 7-8 of them suffer the same issue. That's a pretty large % if you ask me.

We don't warn people just because we want to post. It's been proven time and time again that it will happen. I had it happen to me as well and countless others on this forum.

Have fun-

+1

I can understand if its a show rig but if its a 24/7 personal rig, it will be a mess.

OP, if you want to run this stuff, go right ahead. We've given ample warning to many and most took it seriously. A few didn't and paid the ultimate price.

Good luck on your endeavours.

Have fun-
Until I start seeing some evidence on what is causing it, so will I assume its a low chance of it happening. After all, if the majority of people had problems with it, so should they know what is the problem.
So far so is it unclean loop/bad parts and temperature/lack of radiator space, that seems to be the only common things. And even that is a guess.

Until I start seeing some evidence on what is causing it, so will I assume its a low chance of it happening. After all, if the majority of people had problems with it, so should they know what is the problem.
So far so is it unclean loop/bad parts and temperature/lack of radiator space, that seems to be the only common things. And even that is a guess.

:facepalm:

I think a simple google search or around this thread, should get your answers fast but that's up to your fingers. ;)

:facepalm:

I think a simple google search or around this thread, should get your answers fast but that's up to your fingers. ;)
I have looked, yet it seems that most complain about soft tubing or the pastel changing colour.
Have yet to see someone being able to point to a reason, as there are people who have problems and not with the same type of build.

Its not that I believe the problem is not there, but I have yet to see any "doing this will cause this problem" kind of thread.
IE, its only people reporting problems, but no one can say what the reason for the problem is.

Last edited:
Its not that I believe the problem is not there, but I have yet to see any "doing this will cause this problem" kind of thread.
IE, its only people reporting problems, but no one can say what the reason for the problem is.

You're looking for the million dollar question. Even the dye companies can't figure out or be honest and fault their product.

All we knows is that the issues arise when you mix dye in your loop. Your stuff will stain, possibly clog, etc. Maybe the dye leeches on the tubing and causes built up. We don't know but what WE DO KNOW is when dye is mixed, all hell breaks loose if not properly maintained and in some cases, it doesn't even matter.

Again, its your stuff and funds, do as you may. Just don't come back whining about it. lol

You're looking for the million dollar question. Even the dye companies can't figure out or be honest and fault their product.

All we knows is that the issues arise when you mix dye in your loop. Your stuff will stain, possibly clog, etc. Maybe the dye leeches on the tubing and causes built up. We don't know but what WE DO KNOW is when dye is mixed, all hell breaks loose if not properly maintained and in some cases, it doesn't even matter.

Again, its your stuff and funds, do as you may. Just don't come back whining about it. lol

Yeah, it might be risky, but so is water cooling in general.
All we can do is figure out what accepted risk and price is.
And coloured liquid has acceptable risk for me.

Back