• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

¿Which RAM is better? 2133 or 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ricko

Registered
Hi, recently I've been looking for a RAM upgrade on my PC, the ones I already have are 2 DDR3 Kingston sticks of 1333 Hz each, 8Gb in total.

Looking here and there I found two offers to consider:

-FIRST-
Brand: Gskill
Edition: Sniper
Type: DDR3
Sticks: 2 of 8 Gb each one
Total amount: 16Gb
Frequency: 1866 Hz

PRICE: US$ 291,30

-SECOND-
Brand: Kingston
Edition: Hyper X Beast
Type: DDR3
Sticks: 1 of 8 Gb
Total amount: 8Gb
Frequency: 2133 Hz

PRICE: US$ 186.10

¿Which one is more convenient? ¿same maximum memory with more Frequency, or twice the maximum memory I have with some more frequency?

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7588890 said:
You can get 2133 Gskill for a lower price than the Kingston.... Newegg

What I mean is, ¿having twice the RAM I have will get better performance in gaming, multitasking? ¿or more frequency will do the trick? or ¿can it really make a difference upgrading the RAM?

Upgrading will deff make a diff. I know others will disagree with me, but I'd get the 16G of Gskill. The diff in clock speeds is so minimal, I have my doubts the average user would be able to tell the diff.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7588896 said:
Upgrading will deff make a diff. I know others will disagree with me, but I'd get the 16G of Gskill. The diff in clock speeds is so minimal, I have my doubts the average user would be able to tell the diff.

Ok one more thing just in case, My MOBO as especified in my sig is a gigabyte GA-990fxa-UD3 Rev 3.0

There's no chance those RAM's could be incompatible with the motherboard I have, right? nor I get any problems with them in any way?

You're using a CPU with a dual-channel memory controller. Adding one stick makes it single-channel, so almost any two-stick upgrade would be better. Whatever you do, buy two matching sticks, not just one.

Gigabyte maintains a list of tested memory sticks for their motherboards. For maximum compatibility, choose a stick from that list. Two things I noticed glancing at that list. One, not a lot of higher capacity sticks got tested, but you can pick memory from the same manufacturer with similar specs aside from capacity. Two, it says "Note: Only one DIMM per channel is supported for DDR3-1866MHz and higher speed as using an AM3+ CPU". I'm hoping you're replacing your RAM and not trying to add this addition to what you already have. If you're adding, you need to stick to the specs of the RAM that's already there.

I don't see much point to RAM capacities in excess of 8GB for the average user yet. Unless you're doing a lot of multitasking or RAM-heavy tasks, I doubt you'll notice the difference. 16GB seems to the new "enthusiast class" spec for RAM capacity though.

Just my $0.02.

Back