• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which S478 CPU to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Auric

Registered
My P2.4C just took a dirt nap after 18 months (random 7f stop errors). I only ran it at 241 FSB with no extra voltage. A new 2.4C is $145. There's a 25-30% jump in cost to anything else (2.6C, 2.8E, etc.) and I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Max o'erclock is not my goal, just good bang for the rupee and an uber stable system. HT, de/encoding, and low noise are important. I was content with what I had but a boost in gaming performance would be nice since I have to spend some moolah and am waiting for a worthy and reasonable viddy card replacement.

I can use low-latency/high FSB Samsung TCCD (2 x 512MB) with the replacement CPU -not sure what difference it can make at 1:1 instead of 4:5 as with the previous. What's the crossover point in performance when comparing 1:1 at a given FSB versus 4:5 at a higher FSB? Other gear: GA-8IPE1000 Pro, 7000Al-Cu, R9700 (actually soft-modded 9500), FSP 400-PFN.

What do y'all reckon?

Last edited:
Back