• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spend more on memory or cpu? Where will I get more bang for my buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shaolin95

Hi!
Heres is the deal. Ive been researching my A64 upgrade and decided to get a A64 3000 754. Then when I began looking for memory I tried to keep it at around $160 or less for 1GB (or 2x512). It seems everyone rather recommends to but the TCCD memory which runs into the $220 price range. That means the my CPU will cost me $147 and my Memory $220! My question is, wouldnt I get more performance for my buck by buying an A64 3400 for $221 and a Corsair Value (or PQI Turbo) 1 GB for $148? To make it makes sense that no matter how fast the memory a 400MHZ jump in CPU will be much greater. On top of that it seems that high FSB and low memory latency are not as important with A64 as it was with older CPUs. Am I right? Whats you call more on the CPU or the memory?
Even though it may not be a great OCer, the Corsair Value and PQI Turbo are still able to OC. So I get a 3400 (2.4) running OCed at whaterever my Corsair Value or PQI Turbo will allow and I think that should beat a 3000 OCed with better Ram for the same price. I mean, looking at the benchmarks around I think that much of the gain isnt actually from the OCed Ram but from the big jump in MHZ for the CPU. What do you think?
On top of that it seems that 1 DIMM always performs much better than 2 so I guess I should get a 1GB stick...but then again the 1GB stick I can afford are Cas 3 while the 2x512 are case 2.5...

My original upgrade was:
A64 3000 (754) $148
DFI LP NF3 250GB $100
OCZ Powerstream 420W PS $100
PQI Turbo 1GB (2x512) $148
Regards

Last edited:
I'd recommend that PQI Turbo PC3200 2-2-2-5 timings. Those are the TCCD RAMs that you want to get. Ofcourse if you're not going to be overclocking at all, the faster the CPU the better, but if you're going to OC, definatly invest in some good RAM, you won't be sorry. Not once I got something cheaper than the best and then was kicking myself for doing that.

The PQI TURBO is not the TCCD is the one rated at 2.5 3-3-7.
The Corsair Value OCes to about 225. What speed will my 3400 (2.4) be running then and how will that compare to a 3000+TCCD mem running at say 250.
Regards

Hi!
I am also from Texas, actually Pasadena. So you think that OCing the 3400 and Value Memoryh wont be as good as OCing the 3000 plus TCCD mem....interesting. Ive been looking all reviews, tests, comparison and cant make up my mind.

Back