• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which should I get? 4000+ 2.4 GHz San Diego - OR - 165 Opty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a single core like your sig says why fool with it for an HTPC unless you are getting dual core. I say save your money or get a dual core. Look for a 3800 X2 they are cheap and OC like crazy.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
why do you need 2800mhz for a HTPC?

i would say keep the $$ in your pocket.

A faster processor will allow me to get a better looking picture with my HTPC. The software used with a HTPC is very CPU intensive. The difference in picture quality is most noticeable when projecting a large image. Mine is about 8' diagonal.

Well after saying that they you really should get a dual core. If that software is dual core optimized then it would be a huge help but if nothing else it will run on one core and back ground stuff on the other.

Immortal_Hero said:
If you have a single core like your sig says why fool with it for an HTPC unless you are getting dual core. I say save your money or get a dual core. Look for a 3800 X2 they are cheap and OC like crazy.

I addressed this in my previous post. Is there any reason you would suggest a 2.8 dual core, for example, would perform better than a 2.8 4000+ with a HTPC? And if so, how much better would you estimate this to be?

Immortal_Hero said:
Well after saying that they you really should get a dual core. If that software is dual core optimized then it would be a huge help but if nothing else it will run on one core and back ground stuff on the other.

That is true and a very good point. I should first check to see whether the newer versions of the software is dual core optimized. Thanks!

"2.8 outta a 165 will be tuff...."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

???????????????????????

165_copy.jpg

lately, the opty's from NewEgg have been super. end of the sillycon run, pretty pure stuffs, just about all 165/170's from the Egg are now hitting 2.9+ to 3.2. highest turnover, newest sillycon...............

i run 9x344, 1.52v (actually runs fine @1.47v, (benchie runs need the 1.52v), 2 gig HZ on 166 div (281 on the ram, 1T), coolit freezer water cooling (idling @12*c right now), 24/7, piece o cake.

BTW, the screenie was basically out of the box, this CPU has never run below 2.95 gig, ever...

i am trying to figure out why the need for the upgrade in view of what is needed, a small upgrade in single processing power is really not going to make much difference over what you have now.

baldy

bldegle2 said:
i am trying to figure out why the need for the upgrade in view of what is needed, a small upgrade in single processing power is really not going to make much difference over what you have now.

It's not so much a "need" as it is a want. My 2.35 does fine with the software I use. However, unfortunately the 2.35 really does a bare minimum of processing. I've actually gotten buy with a lessor HTPC, but i want more. I've now read others have used the 4000+ and gotten the results I'm after.

However, with you posting such favorable results for a dual core opty, I have to ask... so what would you estimate the chances of a NewEgg opty reaching 2.8+ with my system on air (see sig)? And of course with it being a HTPC, I won't want fans blaring to cool it. Thanks

Still trying to determine the availability of dual core optimized software for HTPC.

bldegle2 said:
"2.8 outta a 165 will be tuff...."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

???????????????????????

165_copy.jpg

lately, the opty's from NewEgg have been super. end of the sillycon run, pretty pure stuffs, just about all 165/170's from the Egg are now hitting 2.9+ to 3.2. highest turnover, newest sillycon...............

i run 9x344, 1.52v (actually runs fine @1.47v, (benchie runs need the 1.52v), 2 gig HZ on 166 div (281 on the ram, 1T), coolit freezer water cooling (idling @12*c right now), 24/7, piece o cake.

BTW, the screenie was basically out of the box, this CPU has never run below 2.95 gig, ever...

baldy

Yea on water... we are talking about air for this conversation... so my point still stands...

Immortal_Hero said:
Yea on water... we are talking about air for this conversation... so my point still stands...

I agree. I'm using a stock HSF and a 5.25" case fan, pretty simple.

Both Sandys (3700 and 4000) do 2.8+, for the 3700 your MOBO would have to clock the HTT up to 255 X 11 = 2805 which I'm sure the ASRock will. For the 4000 you only have to hit 234 X 12 = 2808. On the 165 Opti you will have to push the HTT to 312 x 9 to reach 2808. Consider a heatpipe cooling solution that spreads out like a Zalmon or one of the more vertical ones that allow you to direct the heat at the exhaust. At 2.8, all these chips put out heat but the Opti's seem to be a little cooler.

AlabamaCajun said:
Both Sandys (3700 and 4000) do 2.8+, for the 3700 your MOBO would have to clock the HTT up to 255 X 11 = 2805 which I'm sure the ASRock will. For the 4000 you only have to hit 234 X 12 = 2808. On the 165 Opti you will have to push the HTT to 312 x 9 to reach 2808. Consider a heatpipe cooling solution that spreads out like a Zalmon or one of the more vertical ones that allow you to direct the heat at the exhaust. At 2.8, all these chips put out heat but the Opti's seem to be a little cooler.

My case is big and ventilates nicely, so I likely will see how well my stock cooler does first before considering a better one. Thanks for the detailed info, very helpful.

pak said:
dual core dual core dual core. If you haven't done it, do it. One of the best moves I have ever done.

As far as the OC, seems like a lot of the recent x2 chips have been clocking well.

--pak

he's right. opteron for sure in this situation. BUT make sure your board can handle high FSB's of 280-300 if you want to overclock, ideally 310 if you are hoping for 2.8ghz (310x9)

i disagree, the newer 165/170's are clocking consistantly to 3 gig, on air, try DFI Street and check out stuffs.

yes, the earlier opty's (i had a 170 and a 175) kinda struggled for the most part around 2.7, on air. the newer issues are a different breed.

i even tried a few 148's and a 150, the current 165's rock. your mileage may vary, i am using the best parts (ram, cooling, HD's) i can get my hands on with the exception of my vid card.

the only problem i see is running the ASRock 939 dual beyond 310HTT, i have one and they work great up to a point, then ferget it. volts mods may be in order.

the 170's have a 10x, and they have been sorching similiar clockage as the 165's lately, and yes, all from NewEgg.

later,

baldy

I'll be perfectly honest.

I don't know why 2.8 is a magic number for you.

I got a "dud" chip that will only hit 2.7 under water. Let's do some quick math. It'll be flawed but still a valuable comparison.

Let's assume your background apps use anywhere from 5-10% of your processing power with a single core.

2350*.95=2233mhz
2350*.9=2115mhz

I know it is flawed, but lets say you have anywhere from 2115-2233mhz currently available for your CPU intensive tasks.

A 4000+ at 2.8 will give you...

2800*.95=2660
2800*.90=2520

2520-2660 to devote to CPU intensive tasks.

With a dud Opty 165 (mine) I was able to achieve 2565mhz at 1.504v (50-53 load with an XP-90c). Keep in mind these voltages are extremely high compared to the average user. A lot of people hit 2.6 and higher on stock vcore.

So...2565 fits right in the boundary of the 4000+...but there is no percent reduction because of background apps. You get 100% of one core (and that's without optimization). Even my dud Opty 165 provides the same horsepower as a 4000+ in a single core situation. Factor in the increased L2 cache, probable overclocks higher than 2565, and a dual core optimization (it'll happen eventually) and there is no other choice.

If you are going for the absolute best bang for your buck get the 4000+. I have this sneaking suspicion you will be kicking yourself in a month or two.

If I had it to do all over again I'd get a 170 though...that extra multiplier is worth it 100% in my book.

EDIT: If you are really set on blowing your money on a single core...at least get an Opty 146. $88.50 at the Egg ($6 more). It starts out 400mhz slower but with the right mobo you could probably outpace a 4000+. Lots of people are getting 3+ghz with those.

EDIT #2: Apparently the Egg is shipping a good stepping of 165s right now. A lot of people are reporting 2.8ghz or higher out of the box. Check the most recent page of reviews to see http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

Last edited:
You make some very good points and explained yourself very well. Since my last post I've determined the latest software I would want to use is in fact dual core optimized. That alone makes it worth the extra $ for a 165. The rest is gravy. Thanks!

i am thinking about getting another 165 and putting it in my AsRock 939 Dual Sata that is gathering dust, with the lower volts needed to run high MHZ on both the cpu and ramski it should make for a nice little backup system, prior usage on this MB was limited to Opty's that didn't clock well, since the AsRock puts out max 1.55 on the vcore and something like 2.85 on the ram, the new 165's should rock on that board now........the ram voltage is fine if you run with HZ or similiar low voltage HO ramski.................

get the 165 and enjoy the powa!

later,

baldy

bldegle2 said:
i am thinking about getting another 165 and putting it in my AsRock 939 Dual Sata that is gathering dust, with the lower volts needed to run high MHZ on both the cpu and ramski it should make for a nice little backup system, prior usage on this MB was limited to Opty's that didn't clock well, since the AsRock puts out max 1.55 on the vcore and something like 2.85 on the ram, the new 165's should rock on that board now........the ram voltage is fine if you run with HZ or similiar low voltage HO ramski.................

get the 165 and enjoy the powa!

later,

baldy

Excellent (monty burns)... Those numbers do sound familiar. I couldn't remember what my board was capable of since I haven't touched it in over a year. I like gravy. :)

Back