• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which stock GPU cooler setup helps in keeping case temps down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
I have read that this type of dual-fan stock GPU cooler pictured below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121705

Can actually raise the temperature inside a PC case than a centrifugal style fan GPU cooler like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161399

Is that true? I believe this is true since it appears that the centrifugal fan directs the warm air out of the case, while the dual fan just blows the warm air towards the top of the case (in a typical PC setup) resulting in slightly increased ambient temperatures, specifically around the CPU/VRM area. Would anyone agree with this? Has there been actual tests to prove this?

Now if the dual-fan setup is known to increase temps, especially when overclocking, is it worth having the dual-fan cooling setup over the centrifugal style cooling as far as mild overclocking is concerned? I'm sure the answer to this is yes, but I wanted your guy's input on this.

My goal is to buy a GPU (7970 or 680) in which I can perform a mild overclock while keeping ambient temps as low as possible.

More fannage and less holes for the back of the case? Yes, it works that way. Your GPU stays cooler but you need a modern case with great airflow.

You get a hot GPU, you can get it cooler with your first link. But you need to have better case airflow to remove the heat.

Ambient temps as used on OCF is your ROOM temps, not your case temps.

You get a higher wattage GPU you add wattage meaning heat which will make the room hotter and the temps in your case.

Your welcome to make a sig to show what you currently have for specific temps issues. Not sure what your sig means now pertaining to you question.

A dual fan GPU will keep the GPU cooler. You are still making the same heat. It has to go somewhere.

Or maybe I'm missing what your trying to say?

Back