• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which version of PS2 is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JTanczos

Which version of the PS2 is better? I have not owned a game console since the second version of sega genesis.

The guy at the game store said the older was better because of the internal fan. I was wondering if this was true. He said it doesnt overheat like the newer ones. But v12 has usb support for hard drives.

I have no idea where to look for info on PS2. Google shows a butt load of mod chips and other unneeded crap.

Thanks
JT

I would personally go for the slim model but if you want to mod it...go for regular. If you wanna think about Xbox, go to the local video store and rent it for the weekend. I just did and I am VERY pleased with the it. Also Xbox controllers are just modified USB ports so adding a Mouse and Keyboard for running linux is a very simple task :D:D

The newer PS2 runs pretty cool as long as you keep the vents clear. Mine has never overheated, even when on for 24 hours+

You should buy a console or the games... Playstation has 3 of my favorites: Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, and Gran Turismo. Yeah, and I never really like Halo that much anyway.

Xris said:
I hate to do the same, but for modding, the xbox owns.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/ would get you started

The xbox has better graphics, although the ps2 does have more games.

Absolutely. Don't know much about this myself, but one of my friends modded
his green Xbox to take a hacked version of WinXP and desktop HDD. Uses it to store
his favorite movies and music, in addition to playing games.

XBox all the way. Most of the games I like to play are on the xbox, like Halo and Unreal Championship 2. XBox games also look a lot better, since it supports pixel shading and whatnot.

PS2 = 300mhz cpu, 24mb of ram (I think), 150mhz gpu, 4mb of vram.

XBox = 733mhz cpu, 64mb of shared DDR, 233mhz Geforce3/4 hybrid

You might want to wait for xbox360 though, its release is just around the corner.

ok, forget graphics, it doesnt matter, compared to a good computer they're not good
ps2 has more games, and is a solid choice
im pretty sure all ps2's have fans, even the slims
go slim, unless u want a HDD in there

Yuriman said:
XBox all the way. Most of the games I like to play are on the xbox, like Halo and Unreal Championship 2. XBox games also look a lot better, since it supports pixel shading and whatnot.

PS2 = 300mhz cpu, 24mb of ram (I think), 150mhz gpu, 4mb of vram.

XBox = 733mhz cpu, 64mb of shared DDR, 233mhz Geforce3/4 hybrid

You might want to wait for xbox360 though, its release is just around the corner.

Its not about the number in the console world...

I know :p, but I'd also take a Dreamcast over the PS2. I generaly don't care for most of the games they have, dreamcast has a library that more suits me. And, Halo + Halo 2 alone were reason enough for me to get an XBox.

halo was enough reason for me not to
i like my DC, was 20 bucks and games are like 2 bucks

i still need a vmu though :(

I know , but I'd also take a Dreamcast over the PS2.

If I could have the money back I spent on my Dreamcast . . . It was a great system while it lasted, and it's fun to use it as an emulator for other consoles, but I just wish they didn't go back under.

Ah, the only reason I still use my PS2 is because there's a linux project for it. It comes with a HDD, keyboard, everything :D

But the Xbox runs linux sooooo much better. Plus, just modding anything is fun.

the original PS2 is better, the slim overheats very easily. The original also has room for an HD

I don't know about the overheating, but I've heard the slim one has a much better DVD drive. And its small, and has a built in network adapter. I honestly didn't even know consoles had problems with overheating.

jcw122 said:
the original PS2 is better, the slim overheats very easily. The original also has room for an HD
Never EVER has mine overheated! I played socom for 3 strait hours not one artifact many people think there is not internal fan, but there is but its small and placed on the inside not the shell of the case. I don't know anything about the DVD drives, My 30001 model, one of the first ones made had a dvd drive in it and I can not tell the difference. I had to replace my bigger one with the slim one because the USB ports died. But do not even worry about overheating go with what suits you best.

As for the hard drive, there are like 3 games that support it Sony never took advantage of the HDD.

Yep I still have my dreamcast, got many old NES games that are a riot to play on DC.

My slim PS2 has never overheated either. The slim PS2 should be quieter than the early, large PS2's, but I'm not sure about the later, large PS2's since I've never owned one.

Back