• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would serve me best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

Im currently rebuilding my 2nd rig, and i have a choice of ram.

It has been running 2x 4Gb Kingston 1333Mhz ram clocked to 1400mhz. But i recently bought 2x 2Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz.

For gaming rig, which of these sets of ram? and why?

Well, if purely gaming, 4GB will be enough, and you might see a little gain going from 1400 to 1866 (maybe OCeable to 2000?).

Games rarely consume over 2GB.

I would still like to see 8GB in it even for gaming. I've seen my RAM usage hit 4-5GB in game plenty.

The difference from 1400 to 1866 would be slight, if even noticeable at all.

^Agreed on the slight advantage, but 4/5GB on machine dedicated for gaming?
Never seen a title eating more than 2/2.5GB (talking about the game only, not the full system mem usage).

^Agreed on the slight advantage, but 4/5GB on machine dedicated for gaming?
Never seen a title eating more than 2/2.5GB (talking about the game only, not the full system mem usage).

I'm talking about full system usage because everything still has to run with the game going. I see total usage hit 4/5GB plenty.

^That's why I put the condition "if purely gaming".
Windows 7/8 eats around 1.1/1.2GB, it leaves 2.8 free GB...

Edit: actually, I believe the 1866 might net a couple of FPS in FPS/Racing, maybe a bit more in RTGs. But, sure, the 8GB will give more comfort if you feel like doing anything else than gaming with the computer. Try both, lol!

Alright, so say Windows is using 1.2, your game is using 2.5 and you open an internet browser. There went your last 300MB.

^Agreed.

But it is not a "pure gaming" rig anymore then! ;)

Edit: most games are 32bits coded (Frostbyte 2 engine being an exception), and so designed for an architecture with a max of 4GB. They can't use more than 2GB...
This article is from 2008, but still relevant, as games are still 32bits:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx interesting part is when explaining 32bits effective memory design.

Last edited:
Back