• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who owns a ViewSonic VX LCD monitor?! PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

OK, think I've decided on an LCD.

My Criteria was:

1.) Perfect for gaming <25ms response time

2.) Bright and Colorful

3.) Silver to match Lian-li case

The Viewsonic VX series seems like the perfect LCD. Looking at the 700 or 800VX. Anyone own these monitors? Anyone know of any reviews on these monitors?

Still kinda skeptible about the LCD limitations for gaming and resolution. Someone convince me PLEASE, my back can't take lugging my 19" NEC CRT back and forth to school anymore..

I googled it... nothing fruitful.

LCD's, at least the one's I'm interested in, are expensive, it would be nice if I could take one for a test drive before I blew $850 on one... Just too big of a risk.

Gonna try compusa tomorrow see if they have any vx800's on display or at least get them to show off one for me.

h0mersimps0n said:
OK, think I've decided on an LCD.

My Criteria was:

1.) Perfect for gaming <25ms response time

2.) Bright and Colorful

3.) Silver to match Lian-li case

The Viewsonic VX series seems like the perfect LCD. Looking at the 700 or 800VX. Anyone own these monitors? Anyone know of any reviews on these monitors?

Still kinda skeptible about the LCD limitations for gaming and resolution. Someone convince me PLEASE, my back can't take lugging my 19" NEC CRT back and forth to school anymore..

GAMMING??? U should be looking at the graphics model. here see my sig.
my flat panel rocks and doesnt hurt my eyes. looks just as good as my CRT for gamming.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107913

Dude the VX series have <25ms response time, the VG series 40ms response times... Looking for the best of the best, need good response times and excellent contrast, my CRT (NEC Multisync 90 has terrible brightness and contrast control and I'm sick of it)...

Thanks for that thread, I'll read it ASAP. The hunt continues.

guess its just hard to find reviews because every eval has to be so subjective and no one wants to make the move. Anyone suggest some issues of magizines I could pick up to read?

OK, went to COMPUSA today and fiddled with their display LCD's for over 45 minutes and have some major questions:

First of all, why in the world does cranking up the color adjustments individually increase overall brightness and contrast better than the brightness and contrast. My LCD's on display were set to default 30 r, 30b, 30g in custom mode but when I shifted them up into the 90's (out of 100) for each color the screen became a lot more vivid. Is there a disadvantage I'm not understanding about cranking up the colors like that. Also, I played with the refresh and no matter what I saw black distortion lines on all the monitors. The setup was about 8 LCD's off of some HUB connected to one computer. So I'm thinking that the hub could've been causing that weird interference. At my CompUSA they had a Viewsonic VX900 and Samsung 170MP on display and one other Samsung I can't remember. The Samsung had a pretty decident picture in comparison to the Viewsonic. The other displays which were brands I'd never even heard of, were pretty bright and nice looking too.

I still can't decided what to do and its driving me crazy.

Suggestions? Comments? HELP!!!

h0mersimps0n said:
guess its just hard to find reviews because every eval has to be so subjective and no one wants to make the move. Anyone suggest some issues of magizines I could pick up to read?

Current MaximumPC issue.

One thing you need to be aware of is the displays at Comp USA are hooked up through a comparator and they are rarely setup properly. Try tweaking the "Fine" setting and you will see what I mean. If you decide you are interested in a particular display, ask the staff to hook it up directly to a PC.

A quick note on specs, they are often useless. For instance, why does a display with a contrast ratio of 350:1 look better than one with a contrast ratio of 500:1? Response time is another spec that often seems to be fudged.

If you haven't yet, read all 42 pages of the thread I linked to earlier. It's the best information on LCDs available on the Net with lots of hands on experience.

Back