• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why am i loosing performance is my cpu going bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

am i missing something here? so i recently as of a few months ago installed shadow of the tomb raider i ran the in game benchmark and took a screenshot of the results

what i cant seem to understand is if you look at the first pic which was taken at my 4.3Ghz overclock it says average fps of 79 and if you look at the second pic which was taken after i increased my overclock to 4.5Ghz you can see the huge performance dip

am i missing something here why did the performance decrease when i increased the overclock of my cpu?

edit only thing i did outside of updating the gpu driver was swap out the vga cable for a dvi cable since the vga cable had to be hooked up via an active display port to vga adapter

why the big performance loss i only went from 4.3-4.5 and everything was fine till today also cinebench R15 dropped from 1004-462 so um ya im stumped

if it matters no bios settings were changed once i dialed in my stable 4.5Ghz OC so what am i missing please educate me

Screenshot (3).png Screenshot (8).png

I cannot see the pics on tapatalk so sorry if it has all the info.

What are your temps? Could be throttling performance after the Overclock?

I cannot see the pics on tapatalk so sorry if it has all the info.

What are your temps? Could be throttling performance after the Overclock?

temps at full load never pass 72c on my 360mm aio i checked and aida64 reports no throttle

First thing I see in the SOTR pics is that you're using completely different settings from one to the other

First thing I see in the SOTR pics is that you're using completely different settings from one to the other

yes but if you look at the pis the average fps is higher in the pic with the maxed out settings as opposed to the pic with lower settings and thus lower average fps

You have to start on an even playing field for comparison. But judging by the drop in performance for CB as well, it's likely your "new" OC isn't quite stable enough. Does the performance come back if you drop to 4.3 again?

You have to start on an even playing field for comparison. But judging by the drop in performance for CB as well, it's likely your "new" OC isn't quite stable enough. Does the performance come back if you drop to 4.3 again?

nope 4.3 gave me same performance issues in the game as well as in CB

First check CPUz to make sure you're still in triple channel

The version of the game is different as well. That doens't explain the big difference but apples and oranges make it tough.

EDIT: Lowering the settings on this title at that resolution can put more load on your CPU which, respectfully is pretty slow comparatively. If you look closely at the second SOTR result, its 4% GPU bound while the other is 43% (this game is CPU bound for you, clearly). Your CPU is holding things back in the second, lowered settings test. More work for the GPU and not being held back by the CPU = more FPS.

So, let's test with the same settings and report back........Apples and apples, ma'am.

Instead of AIDA for throttling, check Intel XTU (if it works with your CPU... I don't recall).

Last edited:
The version of the game is different as well. That doens't explain the big difference but apples and oranges make it tough.

Instead of AIDA for throttling, check Intel XTU (if it works with your CPU... I don't recall).

ill keep that in mind

Please see the edit... I see a HUGE difference in something.....

... it wont explain the cinebench thing settings but makes me wonder if you ran Open GL or something else instead??

I also bet it has something to do with instability in that new overclock. I'd bet money you didn't go back to the exact settings at 4.3 and its causing the issue. How did you manage to go to 4.5 Ghz and not change any settings?

Last edited:
Please see the edit... I see a HUGE difference in something.....

... it wont explain the cinebench thing settings but makes me wonder if you ran Open GL or something else instead??

I also bet it has something to do with instability in that new overclock. I'd bet money you didn't go back to the exact settings at 4.3 and its causing the issue. How did you manage to go to 4.5 Ghz and not change any settings?

would a clean install of windows 10 fix my performance issues in game or no?

also when i run the benchmark at the same settings as in the first pic i get the same issue

Last edited:
even if i run the benchmark using the exact settings from the first picture i still get the same performance issue nothing changes max settings low settings same issue

i ran the benchmark this morning using the same settings that can be seen i the picture with the 79fps average i also used evga precision X1 alongside msi afterburner i ran the same benchmark 2 times and both times it reported an average fps of 67

i then lowered the graphical settings to medium ran the same benchmark twice and got the same results average fps 67

the aaverage fps was the same in the games benchmark as well as in msi and evga

Last edited:
Ma'am...WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Can you please answer the questions asked of you? :)

Also, see the edit/link in the post above... I dont see a problem yet...

shadow of the tomb raider i ran the in game benchmark and took a screenshot of the results

The reason you don't really see gaming benchmarks at HWBot for best example, is because the benchmark is simply inconsistent.

You'd be best to compare to other systems while running perhaps 3DMark or something along those lines for 3D comparisons.

But you say Cinebench is inconsistent also...... but we can't SEE it.

Run Cinebench back to back 3 or 4 times and post each screen shot with all the monitoring tools with it. That will give people to really have something to go by.

Back