• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why am i loosing performance is my cpu going bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
problem solved

The reason you don't really see gaming benchmarks at HWBot for best example, is because the benchmark is simply inconsistent.

You'd be best to compare to other systems while running perhaps 3DMark or something along those lines for 3D comparisons.

But you say Cinebench is inconsistent also...... but we can't SEE it.

Run Cinebench back to back 3 or 4 times and post each screen shot with all the monitoring tools with it. That will give people to really have something to go by.

shrimp i ran aida64 stress test monitor meaning i pulled up the screen hit the clear button ran CBR15 then saved the image of what aida saw alongside cinebench got the same score all 4 times and the same performance screen in ida ill post pix Screenshot (12).png stabilitytest.png

keep in mind i didnt run the aida64 monitor just let it up on screen and saved a pic of what it saw

Last edited:
341 score? That cant be right. Those clocks on that xeon should be a little over 1000...

341 score? That cant be right. Those clocks on that xeon should be a little over 1000...

ultrataco not sure what happened i went from a 1004 in CB to 341 gonna reinstall my os to see if i still have the same issues

How high is your uncore set to? If that is too high and >>unstable, it might slow down system to a crawl and crash windows system. Or like mentioned earlier, ram isn't right. I just did a run on mine. I cant even hit 4.5 because of just turns off completely.(1.48vcore)

View attachment 206135

gonna reinstall my os to see if i still have the same issues
Please don't..........

shrimp i ran aida64 stress test monitor meaning i pulled up the screen hit the clear button ran CBR15 then saved the image of what aida saw alongside cinebench got the same score all 4 times and the same performance screen in ida ill post pix View attachment 206130 View attachment 206131

keep in mind i didnt run the aida64 monitor just let it up on screen and saved a pic of what it saw
Did you run Cinebench WHILE running a stress test??!?!?!? Don't load AIDA64 at all and see if Cinebench scores pop up. You are not supposed to run a STRESS test while running a benchmark. Its like drag racing while being tied to the starting line....

As far as the game, as I said, I don't see a problem. You had 79 FPS with high settings. The low settings CLEARLY SHOW YOUR CPU HOLDING YOU BACK in the second test. Also, do NOT run multiple pieces of the same software at the same time (MSI AB and EVGA precision)... that can muck things up.

So....

1. Run Cinebench WITHOUT running the AIDA64 stress test at the same time.
2. Enjoy your ~80 FPS in SOTR because that is what 1660Ti should run. And if you are running AIDA64 stress test while gaming... that could easily be part of the reason for the 67 FPS...

Last edited:
Please don't..........

Did you run Cinebench WHILE running a stress test??!?!?!? Don't load AIDA64 at all and see if Cinebench scores pop up. You are not supposed to run a STRESS test while running a benchmark. Its like drag racing while being tied to the starting line....

As far as the game, as I said, I don't see a problem. You had 79 FPS with high settings. The low settings CLEARLY SHOW YOUR CPU HOLDING YOU BACK in the second test. Also, do NOT run multiple pieces of the same software at the same time (MSI AB and EVGA precision)... that can muck things up.

So....

1. Run Cinebench WITHOUT running the AIDA64 stress test at the same time.
2. Enjoy your ~80 FPS in SOTR because that is what 1660Ti should run. And if you are running AIDA64 stress test while gaming... that could easily be part of the reason for the 67 FPS...

as you can see from the pic i didnty run the stress test i just pulled up the monitor so i could screen capture what it reported

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

How high is your uncore set to? If that is too high and >>unstable, it might slow down system to a crawl and crash windows system. Or like mentioned earlier, ram isn't right. I just did a run on mine. I cant even hit 4.5 because of just turns off completely.(1.48vcore)

View attachment 206135

taco in bios uncore clock ratio is set to x17 which is 3655MHz as for my ram its 6 sticks of 8gig 1600 ram ageis from gskill

as you can see from the pic i didnty run the stress test i just pulled up the monitor so i could screen capture what it reported
Ok, your words said something different and it doesn't appear to be running. Whew!

So, why is your CPU idling at 60%? What is taking up the CPU cycles? What does task manager show is doing it?

Ok, your words said something different and it doesn't appear to be running. Whew!

So, why is your CPU idling at 60%? What is taking up the CPU cycles? What does task manager show is doing it?

earthdog i have no idea i took that screenshot of aida right after CBR15 finished and gave me the score right now im at 60% usage cuz i have chrome open but i get the feeling some hiden program installed in my os main C: drive is causing issue CB still gives me the same score of 425 so idk whats going on

Anything over 3500 uncore usually needs over 1.35vtt. At least it does on both of my i7 920 and x5670. And you run 6 sticks of ram, which isn't helping. Maybe you have a better memory controller..

earthdog i have no idea i took that screenshot of aida right after CBR15 finished and gave me the score right now im at 60% usage cuz i have chrome open but i get the feeling some hiden program installed in my os main C: drive is causing issue CB still gives me the same score of 425 so idk whats going on
As I said... look at task manager and see...

Sort the processes tab by CPU and see what is taking up the most cycles. Please share the image.

As I said... look at task manager and see...

Sort the processes tab by CPU and see what is taking up the most cycles. Please share the image.

i think i found the issue for some odd reason when i log into windows google chrome starts it doesnt open any web pages or tabs it is just there so i ended the google chrome task and ran both cinebench and shadow of the tomb raider bench mark and wouldnt you know average 90fps in sottr and 1004 score in CBR15 any idea what the issue is with chrome
Screenshot (13).png

edit i checked task manager chrome isnt set to boot at she start of windows so idk whats going on

problem solved turns out a rouge program was causing chrome to load in the background and hog resources fresh install of windows fix it please lock my thread

Last edited:
What rogue program? It might be helpful to the community to know the name of it so we can avoid it.

please lock my thread
We don't lock threads. Please mark the thread as SOLVED in the header.

EDIT: It seems you guys do not have that ability anymore... will work on it.

Last edited:
What rogue program? It might be helpful to the community to know the name of it so we can avoid it.

not sure i scoured my pc and couldnt figure out what program was forcing chrome to load and run in the background so i just did a fresh install of win 10

Might have been Chrome itself. Far too many programs are designed to start with Windows. Something like CCleaner or Revo Uninstaller gives an easy access to auto starts and the interface makes changing that behavior easy. If Chrome lists itself as a service you can go in to the control panel>admin tools>services>Chrome>right click for explorer menu>select properties.and change start up behavior. Chrome may also have it in its settings.

Sometimes when Chrome updates, an extension doesn't play nice and you'll get a continuous chrome task that just keeps running and running like an energizer bunny. It happens... even if you don't load up chrome even to begin with.

Those screen shots though! Said a thousand words.

not sure i scoured my pc and couldnt figure out what program was forcing chrome to load and run in the background so i just did a fresh install of win 10

Well now your starting to figure out issues with the help of these fine gentlemen, so next time, you won't need to re-install windows.

Good to see it was sorted out.... kind of the long way, but still... heh.

Speaking of long way, I should redo mine, cos it's been daily rogue and extreme benching rig! Multipurpose weapon! I was pushing ddr3-1067ram into ddr3-1900:D nothing broke, but I think windows is wacked. :fight:

Memory overclocking is an easy way to bork an OS. Sometimes it causes obvious problems and sometimes it's little, subtle stuff that causes "WTF was that?" moments. Run sfc /scannow and see if everything checks out.

Back