• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why are there celerons and durons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thortons are Barton cores. I don't know if you can call those Durons
I think they market them as non-Barton AthlonXP's, since they have 256k of cache. I guess that's kind of proof that lower end chips are basically higher end chips with part of the cache disabled - otherwise they'd continue to produce 256k chips on the T-Bred core. Or something.

johan851 said:
I think they market them as non-Barton AthlonXP's, since they have 256k of cache. I guess that's kind of proof that lower end chips are basically higher end chips with part of the cache disabled - otherwise they'd continue to produce 256k chips on the T-Bred core. Or something.

I don't see how they can call it the "non-Barton" XPs if they have the Barton core. When they disabled 256k of their L2 caches they didn't removed it from the cores. The bartons are actually T-breds with added 256k L2 cache and a front side of 166 instead of 133. The Thortons are just like T-breds but their core is bigger.

Well...they have the Barton core but they're called "Thortons" because they lack the full 512k of cache. I never said they removed it - I just said they're no longer called "Bartons" because they only have half the cache. Let's not split hairs...you know what I mean.

johan851 said:
Well...they have the Barton core but they're called "Thortons" because they lack the full 512k of cache. I never said they removed it - I just said they're no longer called "Bartons" because they only have half the cache. Let's not split hairs...you know what I mean.

I know you didn't say that but I see your point and you're right. I guess you could call thortons the durons in a way. Palominos>Morgans, T-breds>Appalbreds, and Bartons>Thortons.

wju425 said:
I know you didn't say that but I see your point and you're right. I guess you could call thortons the durons in a way. Palominos>Morgans, T-breds>Appalbreds, and Bartons>Thortons.

So a newcastle is a duron?

Very nice chart. I'm not familiar with 64bit cpus but there's plenty of them alright. :)

Why I called them durons are that they are budget versions of their big brothers. Duron no more it is but it was just a sentiment. Saw something interesting in the chart. You can see Thortons as Barton grades but named XPs (my bad). Now looking at the appalbreds I see T-bred/Barton grades. I haven't seen an Appalbred with a Barton core. Now I see a new set of Durons called Paris coming. AGHH! :)

The intel guy (Bob something or the other) gave a lecture at stanford a couple of months back.

He explained basic econ, there should be 3 distinguishable groups, and people will most often pick the one in the middle.

For example Celeron<p4<EE. (though EE is too expensive to be even considered correctly)

People will see the celeron, think meh?, then see EE and think way too much, and settle n the p4.

In the case of newcastle, its a64<fx. There is no real middle. In that case a64 will get less money than say the p4 setup, as there is a chance because there is no middle ground, that the buyer may just skip the buy.

Back