• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't you download movies onto a laptop or a desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try https://tubitv.com/home. Free streaming movies and tv. Login for the R rated only. Or use a roku or other device to the tv from the phone. There may be some aps that can immediately stream a torrent file but you'll have to check with the isp on that if it's legal.
If you know someone with a a spectrum tv acct who will let you login, you can stream all kinds of stuff including live tv and the movie inventory of ~2600? movies. I use spectrum internet only @$65/mnth (comcast actually) and watch tv (for what it's worth and they have all the movie channels) using a friends spectrum tv acct a couple miles away from me. That acct lets me login to the id channel, destination america , science, discovery, velocity, tlc, etc, live. And my tv has the netflix ap using someone else's acct atm. I'd much rather be outside though.

Last edited:
habbajabba, did you read the original post? This is for someone who is flying in a commercial airplane and has a macbook. They don't let you stream on planes. That was the whole issue.

The part about the airplane flew right over my head. My only suggestion is make friends with those who have already done this. All you need is an xfat formatted drive and the files themselves.

But the customer has a Mac, not a Windows machine.

Unrelated... but I often wonder if I'd have been better off with a GTX 1050Ti instead of a 960... The 960 was cheaper (obviously)... but at the time benchmarks seemed to show it performing better. Though I wonder with newer drivers...

My father has a MacBook and he gets all his moves form ITunes, it allows him to download the moves locally so he can watch them offline.

That being said. if Netflix, amazon or water ever dose not allow offline downloads just get a screen recoding app and record the screen when the video is playing.

I believe the answer to the root question of "why not" is actually within the licensing agreements between the streaming services and the content companies. Content companies are still very apprehensive about downloading content after the wild west days of yesteryear. I actually even have different experiences on my DVR depending on the show (for example, some I cannot fast forward through.)

The isp/cable companies pay tens of thousands of dollars per month for the ability to stream particular channels and the contents therein. DRM is a thing. Shoots, it took 20 years before the 1981 movie Heavy Metal was 'released' to the public simply because canada and the us fought over the rights. TBH, the internet itself does not have those issues. Which is why some movies, especially foreign, are capable of being watched. But; you may not, if ever, see them on your TV locally broadcast. Home dvr's only work when you are paying the monthly bill. It's not like you can record a show, unplug it, and then take it and watch it at a friends.
I'm just happy I can login to my buddies Spectrum acct right through my web browser waterfox. I don't get every channel but I do get most everything including all the OnDemand stuff plus he pays for all the movie channels. I literally watch maybe a couple channels total so it's never going to be worth me paying.

The only thing that pisses me off is they say I can use my Motorola surfboard but the wanker comcast servers only kick it off every time it tries to negotiate. I tried like 4 different times. I don't trust comcast servers with a spectrum label. My buddy signed up for the total package incl. phone and immediately got robocalls daily and eventually just unplugged it lol. One more reason to get a vpn, which btw works fine under spectrum tv. I tried ExpressVPN for a month (and PIA-junk), and within a couple hours they suspended the acct and wanted me to give them a copy of the front of my cc. I told them to kick rocks for a 13$ charge. Next is ProtonVPN and I'm going to sign up for a year.

Last edited:
Desktop is more powerful than a portable smartphone.
You can copy the media from the desktop and store it separately on the same drive.
Any Desktop app can be hacked to store the downloaded media to your choice of destination.
That is the reason why media cannot be stored on a Desktop app.

I have a workaround for you.
Just download the media to your smartphone and mirror the screen of the phone on to a laptop.
I hope I provided a valuable solution to your problem.

Back