• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are you secure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice, Ill pass this on to a couple ppl I know who are in need of a reality check of how cautious you should be.

My wireless is WPA, as for writing down passwords, that's the only rule I violate. But really, its a exception, since the passwords I write down are usually for games and If someone steals my game accounts. I can care less, and its hidden, very well, in my room. And if someone where to be going through stuff in my room. The game passwords would be the last thing I would be worried about (my computer!, and fireworks stash!).

Also if someone was in my house that I didn't know, I would phone their mother.

lol.

I still think its the best when people computers get buggered up because they are useless and then they say. Its ok I virus scanned and its all better now. ha.

Btw, this should be sticky-ed, very good info!

I just save passwords to forums, Bank/credit card/stock trading sites I don't save them.

My banks, yes plural. Do not allow me to save any personal information on my side. Even my health care site manager. I cannot save login info. Each time, I type the name and key. I have no choice in the matter.

As an added bonus. My main bank has dual login credentials. I type my sudo name. Then ok the name. Then I get a second screen. I then see a image I selected (in creating the account, also it forces me to pick a new one every so often.) Then I can type my password. I like this way of banking.
I have locked meh bank account a few times.. Actually more than that.. Since I logged in with another machine in the home. For some reason. The site goes bonkers if another machine is used. There is a cookie involved, but it is for one machine.\ Which is rather nifty.
What drives me bonkers at times. Is the session times out really fast. I deal with it since it is just good juju.

As for password strength. I do not use my personal information. I like to use a friends. As stupid as this sounds... It takes the guessing of me out of the picture. I can also add dates to it.
One way for creating strong passwords is, of all things. :D 13375p34K

Maybe I'm going to sound a little bit like richard stallman here but I think a big security risk comes from using proprietary software. If your software isn't free and open you can't access the source code and verify that it is secure. How do you know? You don't. As long as the software is proprietary you can't make any legitimate judgements regarding it's security unless you happen to work for the company and are able to look at the code yourself.

For example look at skype "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype#Privacy" It uses an undocumented encryption protocol. You don't know if any backdoors have been put into this so the people at skype/government can spy on you. They appear to be complying w/ the great firewall of China. If you use skype there is no way for you to know that they aren't recording your calls/chats in any way shape or form and sharing them with someone. This is just one example. There are plenty of others.

I would also like to add the EFF (electronic frontier fondation) has a website called Surveillance Self-Defense. This is designed to protect the security of your data from spying.

https://ssd.eff.org/

Also in your wireless security you talk about encryption and you say that if you don't know how to do it ask your geeky friend. You could do that or you could point them to my wireless security guide (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=423424)

Last edited:
Back