• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why do cases burn out mobos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But you don't buy junk mobos as I do. ;)

I've had mobos where signals or power lines ran right next to mounting holes, a hole was surrounded by a wide copper area that measured +5V, and one mobo even had two big areas of copper were right next to each other, separated by just a < 1mm gap and a mounting hole, each area at a different voltage than the other (I don't remember if they were +3.3V and +5V or if one was at ground).

I've gotten into the habit of inspecting each hole, front and back, before installing the mobo.

Warlord, have you used the cases with the metal punched up for it's own stand off? Not ones where you put the seperate brass standoff on.

These are usually ~1cm square and can easily touch mobo traces.

These kind of cases almost put my previous employer out of buisness when he started out.

Yup Yup... everything seems to work fine, except for the PIECE OF SH*T POWER SUPPLY THAT CAME WITH THE CASE.

This is a P4 PSU... it has the P4 sticker on the back. Are they not compatible with AMD boards unless so specified or something? It's a 400w no-name, came with the cheap POS case that I bought from the retards at my local computer store.

"P4 PSUs" usually just have the extra P4 mobo power connector. They should work just fine with an AMD board (just tuck that wire out of the way).

Could have been the case shorting causing PSU problems, or it might just be a bad PSU.

Bad PSU... had it swapped out this morning. They accidentally gave me a 420w :bday:

Thanks everyone.

-Wesley

Back