• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does HT Limit O/Cing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Anyone know?... with HT disabled my pc is 100% stable at 3.6ghz while with HT enabled it isnt stable even at 3.2-3.3ghz.

What causes Ht to make a computer unstable???

I haven't read anything but I'm gonna say it's because of the extra load on the CPU/Memory/Bus.

As you proly know HT creates a 'virtual processor' for the OS to use. That's double the required instructions~creating just enough more to destablize the overclocking ability. IMO. ;) I choose to keep HT enabled so I can smoothly multi-session. I like to rock out when I am playng games~

You can run alot faster for longer if it is in a straight line on a paved trail.

Same here, I alway leave my HT on. My system feel alot smoother with it enable and score higher in almost ever benchmark. 200-300mhz more without HT in not the way to go for me.

That's fairly drastic. I see almost no difference in overclocking with HT disable compared to when it's enabled. Maybe a couple of MHz more FSB with it disabled at most.

HT doesnt limit my overclocking, but it does severly limit my speed. I get 21K on '01. but if I turn HT on and keep everything else the same I get 18K.

A little off topic but its about HT

I have ht disabled right now. I have folding running all the time so my overvolt will not be as bad. When I play games with ht enabled and folding running folding gets half of my proc and I get bad fps in game. When I turn off ht folding goes to 0 and the game gets like 99 of the proc and my fps increases alot. However when I bench I get alot better scores with ht enabled and no folding running. Anyone else running folding what do you do with ht?

thats because with ht on, your OS is fooled that your computer is a dualy, in a sence. if you had a dualy, and you did the same thing, folding would take all of one processor and the game would take the other. its doing the same thing with folding and a game. it gives half of it to folding, half to the game, so in essense, if you have a 3ghz cpu, your game gets 1.5ghz and folding gets the other 1.5ghz. when HT is off, the game has a higher priority than folding, folding is at absolute low so that it doesnt hog up the cpu when your programs need it, and so the game gets all the cpu, and you get higher frames.

i keep HT off cuz even when not playing a game, for instance just sitting at the desktop, folding gets 50% still while the idle processes get the other 50%. also, with HT off, i can play a game smoothly and it can get all of my cpu, and then when im not doing anything, folding takes over.

for a gaming machine, should I leave HT on or off ???

With HT on, would this set up gives me more fps or 3dmark score?

I don't have stability problem with HT on.

I remembed when I turned of HT it worsened my benchies than doing any good. I got 50Mhz higher overclock, but my bench scores went down. IMO leaving it on will do you more good!

what I find odd in my situation is that I can boot into windows with HT on at 3.6ghz but if I try to run something intensive my computer freezes... the odd part is that if I lower the fsb to anywhere between 3.35-3.59ghz, I cant even boot into windows...

i would turn HT off for games. with it on, start up a game and do ctrl alt delete, look at the processes tab and look at your game, it will say 50% for the CPU, meaning it gets half your clock speed, while the other half is left for any other programs, windows, etc.

gustav said:
i would turn HT off for games. with it on, start up a game and do ctrl alt delete, look at the processes tab and look at your game, it will say 50% for the CPU, meaning it gets half your clock speed, while the other half is left for any other programs, windows, etc.

Your right! my cpu usage is at 50%. Now that kind of sucks then.

How do I switch HT off and on?

Thats incorrect for the most part involving HT and the way it handles the cpu.

HT allows the cpu to handle two seperate instructions at once as long as they are using seperate pieces of the core. As a result one proggy running gets a much of the cpu it can. Thats why when you run prime on a HT machine your temp barely goes up when you run two instances of it. So really that lower fps your getting is because the game and folding are trying to use the same parts of the cpu and it causes it to swap so yes in that instance of 2 programs running at 100% the two programs are getting 50% of the cpu power. But the ALT - Tab power of Ht is enormous and the simple smoothness that it adds to the computing experience is well worth it. My advice shut folding down when you want to play a game or adjust it so that it attempts to use less than 100% of the cpu when it has the chance.

all i was saying is that when you run folding and a game, each gets about 50%. i havent noticed any smoothness difference while playing a game with nothing else running versus runn the game and folding with HT off. with HT off, my game gets 100% of the CPU and when im done, i dont have to remember to turn folding on, and since there isnt a smoothness factor because im not running anything else when playing a game. i have ventrilo (voice program) folding and the game, and with HT off, the game gets the cpu most of the time, and when im not playing a game, folding gets it. now with HT on, i played just a game and it didnt make any difference for me. try it out for yourself. run just a game with HT on and just a game with HT off, see what happens. even with other stuff running with HT off, there wont be a diff cuz nothing else will get the cpu accept the game because it has more priority.

Even though I see it saying 50% cpu usage during a game, I don't see my games running half as slow or any other major slow downs, so why bother?

If anything turning HT off should make you run a slower overclock during a game since the processor would be at 100% usage.

Somethings got to give here, it all aint making sence.

Last edited:
Back