• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why e-machines are the best pre bulit ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

say wha?

yea generally any pre bulit sucks ***, but i never say no to an e-machine.
whys that? well even though they are the cheapest of the cheap, their specs on paper dont really match up to some others of the same time period but theres 2 main reasons why they are superior.

from an uneducated point of view, e-machines are a small time joint compared to HP or dell, they dont have as much pull, capital, influence in the computer world to have things handed to them.
main superior reason #1, e-machines use standard equipment, since they cant go to asus or intel or who ever and say "make me a mobo lacking any and all user ability to control and make it specific so it'll only fit in this case", they cant do that. instead they go to who ever and say, "hey, whats a cheap mobo you have?.... uh huh....you got lots of them? cheap you say? send em on over" and they stick real parts in them, parts you could get at the store which means...

main superior reason #2, they last longer, they dont have porrly made one off parts that cost a fortune to replace.

today for free i picked up a free e-machine from a buddy, he ripped the hard drive from it (IDE, whatta sucker) and ram and left the rest to rot while he uses this on his celeron e-machine (decent mobo crap processor still going the e-machine way) so i take this home, pop it open.

inside we have, one MSI RS480M link mobo, a Athlon 3000+ (Skt 754) andbare bones to get a more than half decent right going with the ability for some overclocking.

MSI has ATLEAST the ability to change the FSB on almost all of their socket a and up mobos.

not the fastest but in its day it was pretty damn good, and the ability to OC at all from the bios in a prebulit, simply satisfying.

i have hard drives, SATA ones even (sata onboard)

so i dont know what to do here, first off i'll just have to stick my 500Mhz hyper X in there since its the only DDR i have and its not being used (such a shame) X300 is good for GUI, web browsing, videos...

but the Express 16x slot leads to potental equaly cheap but bad *** (for this computer) videocard to wow's it up on.

or i could fix it up (keep my hyper x and get cheap ram) and sell it off to a fgamily needing a computer for cheap and i could always use a few bucks. i'm a bit unemployed my self

a friend of mine and i want to get set up to play wow at his house and i spend alot of time over there to begin with so it could be something i could leave over there and game on so we could sell off his scrap computers that we were going to use.

choices choices

main superior reason #1, e-machines use standard equipment, since they cant go to asus or intel or who ever and say "make me a mobo lacking any and all user ability to control and make it specific so it'll only fit in this case", they cant do that.

Perhaps you should go look at an eMachines from the late '90s/early 2000s. They had one-off mobos lacking any and all user ability to control, and they were made specific so they'd only fit in that case. Oh, and they used mATX power supplies, too.

If you want to just focus on more recent machines, most HP, Compaq, Gateway, Acer and Sony machines in the last 10 years have used normal mATX boards too. As a matter of fact, a good many of them have been standard off-the-shelf boards, just with custom BIOSes. What makes eMachines so much better than them, then?

main superior reason #2, they last longer, they dont have porrly made one off parts that cost a fortune to replace.

There isn't much in an eMachines that's well made. The MSI and ECS motherboards are mediocre at best (and the old Trigem ones were horrid), and their power supplies are the worst out of any OEM I've ever come across.

Wish I knew that before I got the Alienware M15x, Area 51 Alx products. :shrug: lol

the hardware may be good but the price is too much

Perhaps you should go look at an eMachines from the late '90s/early 2000s. They had one-off mobos lacking any and all user ability to control, and they were made specific so they'd only fit in that case. Oh, and they used mATX power supplies, too.

If you want to just focus on more recent machines, most HP, Compaq, Gateway, Acer and Sony machines in the last 10 years have used normal mATX boards too. As a matter of fact, a good many of them have been standard off-the-shelf boards, just with custom BIOSes. What makes eMachines so much better than them, then?

There isn't much in an eMachines that's well made. The MSI and ECS motherboards are mediocre at best (and the old Trigem ones were horrid), and their power supplies are the worst out of any OEM I've ever come across.

thats strange we have an e-machine in the scrap pile thats that old and it uses standard parts and has user control, of course not many parts 10 years ago even if you bought them and bulit the system your self didnt have much user control.

also the HP comment, a newer HP tower with a celeron, not sure on the age but its newer than this 754 e-machine, uses propriotary parts and is a non standard machine an intel made mobo with no user control and almost no doccumentation on the net.

also nothing but a single PCI slot in it which sucks

I'm glad you've had a good experience with them. My experience with EMachines has always been terrible. I've always found them to have always been the least stable machines with the cheapest parts. My most common service call related to EMachines is replacing a dead NIC. I don't know why but they always seem to die on my clients. Maybe they just release lemons to corporate customers expecting the third party support plan they have to pick up the pieces.

seen a few in my days and they are all still running .. as far as bios settings i think the few i played with didnt allow any adjustments with ram or cpu .. but luckily i did pin mods on the cpu's and worked fine .. the only thing id be concerned about with a cheapo pre-built would be the PSU

I have a six year old emachines M5105 laptop here I recently bought used, and it has actually impressed me quite a bit in that short time. Even though its an emachines brand, and I was very skeptical at first because of that, its screen is brighter and has a better viewing angle then a lot of laptops I've come across. This emachines' screen blows away my Powerbook G4 in quality, it is much brighter for one. In fact the quality of this emachine's screen blows away any 12" apple laptop screen I've ever come across, there is simply no comparison, even my iBook's screen brand new when I bought it new in 2004 wasn't as clear or as bright as this emachines' screen is currently. Same with Dell Inspiron screens from that time period, I have several and this emachines looks better then all of them. The quality of this screen even blows away the glossy LED-backlit screen of my newest MSI CR600 notebook in terms of its viewing angle (although the msi is brighter).

Additionally this laptop impressed me with how easy the hard drive is to replace, a total of five screws (one to hold the cage to the chassis and four to hold the hard drive into the cage). It plugs into the machine much like a card, or like how a lot of Dell laptops do it, or like how the PS3 does it for that matter. Just on those two points alone that ancient M5105 has impressed high marks on me.

I'm glad you've had a good experience with them. My experience with EMachines has always been terrible. I've always found them to have always been the least stable machines with the cheapest parts. My most common service call related to EMachines is replacing a dead NIC. I don't know why but they always seem to die on my clients. Maybe they just release lemons to corporate customers expecting the third party support plan they have to pick up the pieces.

Your experience matches my own. I've had 4 of their desktop line from the early 2000's, and they all lacked the ability to touch the FSB due to the eMachine BIOS. One of them happened to hold a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333MHz and it of course, did not hold an MSI mobo, much less allowed overclocking.

My mother loved her eMachine setup, of course she only did light web browsing and whatnot.

Sorry, that does not make them good machines.

Dell and Lenovo make the best machines IMHO, i don't even build my own computers anymore.

But in all defense your origional statement was a generalization that any pre built sucks *** which I responded to. if you stated was Alienware products are silly prices I may have conceded that. ;)

well wiat a minute, doesent alienware use asus exclusivly?

LOL. That is all. :)

But in all defense your origional statement was a generalization that any pre built sucks *** which I responded to. if you stated was Alienware products are silly prices I may have conceded that. ;)
and he said "generally" at first as well......were you simply supporting his statement by listing a known exception to his already conceded point??? ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Niku, I don't agree: my experience with EMachines has been HORRID. I will never, ever pay money for any of their products. Acer has joined that list as well.

Sorry Niku, I don't agree: my experience with EMachines has been HORRID. I will never, ever pay money for any of their products. Acer has joined that list as well.

I'll agree with that. My dad bought an e-machine that looked like an old mac back in 99 and I bought one. Both died he was sent a new tower replacement and it died as well.

There should be a do-not purchase list somewhere here on the forums :p

Acer, just all around no.... lol. Their laptops are cheap plastic that feel like you can break them if you hold them too hard. Their monitors seem washed out in color. Their desktops match eMachines in reliability. The joy.

LOL. That is all. :)

and he said "generally" at first as well......were you simply supporting his statement by listing a known exception to his already conceded point??? ;)

oh thats right alienware was bought by dell. my statment still stands. having worked at a place "like" alienware (before the buyout) i can say for a fact that they are just as bad.

Never thought of it that way, Niku. I suppose you are right to a degree.
I just hate they way they look, and that name is queer as all get out lmao

Back