• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why FPS on a console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FudgeNuggets said:
better question.... why play an fps at all? If you've played one, you've played them all: run around a maze, get guns, shoot monsters, flip a couple of switches , fight a boss, rinse and repeat.
I have disagree. Rainbow Six Vegas was an excellent example of this. Th cover system owned so much. I don't remember when I had so much fun getting sucked into a game. I can play FPS's on a console, but still prefer mouse and keyboard.

FudgeNuggets said:
better question.... why play an fps at all? If you've played one, you've played them all: run around a maze, get guns, shoot monsters, flip a couple of switches , fight a boss, rinse and repeat.

hardly.... sure if you play quake and ut and thas it...

but ideally, look at all games, they are nothing more then the last one with some new graphics and options... nothing in games these days is evolutionary or new, everything is a rehash of the past... how many NHL games can you really need.....

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Some FPS feel more natural on a console, like Halo or Gears of War. I think it just has to do with the right combination of stick acceleration, auto-aim, and accuray.

For once, could you stop trolling and add to the conversation for once? We know you absolutely dislike FPS's. The "played one, played 'em all" motto could go for anything, Final Fantasy, educational games, Mario games. It's about fun, and some people's opinions of fun are different. So give it a rest, okay? It's getting annoying.

and for once, could you learn to take a joke? Look at my more serious thread a couple of posts below about uber-expensive mice, hacks and level playing field..... I SPECIFICALLY mentioned playing a game not like the ones I mentioned in JEST :rolleyes:

It really depends on the gamer. Some prefer to use a keyboard and mouse and some like using a gamepad. There is no scientific fact stating that gamepads are worse than using a keyboard and mouse. There are some gamers that are incredibly good at playing FPS with a gamepad.

Well the way some PC games have been total bug ridden, desktop crashing, in-game control sucking, resource hogging pigs lately... I know why I loved my PS2 for so many years. My following examples are not FPS games but TPS stealth games, but generally fall into the FPS genre IMHO.

Example 1: Splinter Cell
Played 1-3 on my PS2 and LOVED them. Especially 1. Bought SC4 recently for the PC... ugh! What a joke. I am not talking about getting used to the controls, I am saying they just plain suck. Responsiveness is unpredictable and performing "actions" can be just plain awkward. The game looks fantastic but is riddled with bugs and crashes. I am almost tempted to sell my PC version and buy the PS2 version! Controls on the PS2 were so much better for this game IMO.

Example 2: Thief 3
Played 1 & 2 and again, loved them! Thief 3 once again a bug ridden, crashing mess of frustration. WTF? Stealth games already require a certain sense of patience to really be stealthy. But a game that is soooo bug ridden is just plain frustration and disappointment. Why do developers release junk on the PC?

Anybody buy a PS2 game that was so buggy you wanted play frisbee with your dog using the disc? Not me. Don't get me wrong, I love gaming on my PC, especially FPS games, but when you buy junk it just makes you mad that they can do that for PC and not consoles (as far as I know?).

Reasons I like the PC: Downloading games/demos is easy with no subscriber fees (XBL)
I know what my system is capable of, I can jack up/turn down settings as needed.
I have an expensive mouse and a decent keyboard, it's comfortable to play on them.
No fees on most multiplayer shooters like BF2, 2142,
They don't make WoW for the xbox 360 :D

Reasons I like my consoles:
Nothing is better than coming into the room and saying 'wanna play some Wii?' and just sitting down and picking up the controllers. Instead of LANning or connecting through to a paid vent server you can sit next to the person you're playing against and administer elbows as needed.

Lounging on my sofa is hardly the position to play a PC game, I also don't have to look at the console buttons so I can play in pitch black, my keyboard has 108 (I think) keys and suffice to say I haven't mastered the relative position of the forward delete button.

You have the PRIVILEDGE of flailing your arms around and looking like a total dork in front of your roommate while playing an intense game of wii tennis. (All you people who sit down while you play wii don't know what you're missing) I probably burn about 15 calories a game and my arm is sore the next day, but it's good to be king.

I've been mostly getting my FPS fixes on Halo and particularly Halo 2 for quite a while. Mostly I just play multiplayer on Live with Halo 2, now. There's mostly a few simple reasons for that.

It mainly boils down the Xbox Live. Convenient, easy, and intelligent match making. I can pop on any time I feel like and almost instantaneously be in whatever gametype I want with players of fairly similar skill level in a game with solid, balanced gameplay and reasonably good variety with widely use voice communication. Usually I'll play for 20-45 minutes and be done. Cheating rarely enters the picture.

Mouse would give more accurate aiming overall, but everyone has the same control sticks...pretty fair. People can get pretty impressively good with those control sticks, too.

The control sticks actually change the nature of the game a little bit, too. With the mouse in fast paced games with powerful weapons, a very quick, accurate mouse user can just blindly plunge into whatever situation, react to other players when he sees them, and blow everyone else up through superior mouse control. Control stick more heavily rewards strategic positioning and anticipation. Funnel opposition into your aim, anticipate where the shot is GOING to be instead to trying to take it where it is. Most of the time when a person gets nailed with obscenely quick headshots from a Battlerifle or something, it's because they walked right into their enemy's crosshairs by moving in an expected way or along an expected path...not some sort of aim hack. I kinda like the more cerebral FPS experience over the highly refined motor skills FPS experience. There are certainly some Halo 2 players who rely heavily on wicked response speed with that thumb stick, but overall a whole it biases towards smarter play more than a lot of PC FPS's.

Okay, everyone talking about the people with $200 mice and other expensive equipment... give me a break. I know people that can dominate people with top-of-the-line equipment (this goes for PC and input-equipment alike) but run lagboxes with ball mice and old, crusty keyboards. There is a difference using a better mouse, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't magically make you a better player by any means.

IMO, I can't stand controllers for FPSs. I can't stand Halo at all either. It's not something I ever got into in the first place, but it isn't too appealing to me over other FPSs. Shooters belong on the PC, IMO. CoD2 is a great 360 game though. I'd probably think it's better on PC if I had ever played the PC version. Other shooters, though, are console games by far. Metal Gear Solid series, Splinter Cell, those are all console games to me. There's no comfortable control scheme on PC for those games IMO.

In addition, find me a PC FPS that has a subscription service ;)

eventually sophisticated bluetooth mouse and keyboard will be available to PS3 for FPS usage. I am just waiting for that day.

SolidxSnake said:
Okay, everyone talking about the people with $200 mice and other expensive equipment... give me a break. I know people that can dominate people with top-of-the-line equipment (this goes for PC and input-equipment alike) but run lagboxes with ball mice and old, crusty keyboards. There is a difference using a better mouse, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't magically make you a better player by any means.

IMO, I can't stand controllers for FPSs. I can't stand Halo at all either. It's not something I ever got into in the first place, but it isn't too appealing to me over other FPSs. Shooters belong on the PC, IMO. CoD2 is a great 360 game though. I'd probably think it's better on PC if I had ever played the PC version. Other shooters, though, are console games by far. Metal Gear Solid series, Splinter Cell, those are all console games to me. There's no comfortable control scheme on PC for those games IMO.

In addition, find me a PC FPS that has a subscription service ;)

WWII Online and Planetside:D

SolidxSnake said:
Hehehehe, pretty much the greatest thing I've heard in the past few weeks :D

OC Noob: Never heard of 'em. Are they any good?

They are MMO first person shooters not really a true FPS and... heh... no they aren't, lol.

WWII Online has been around forever and I'm not sure if its still up and running and Planetside was a Sony Online Entertainment game that was sort of big when it came out, but fizzled. I'm pretty sure Planetside still comes with the Station Pack Sony sells bunddling all their MMO games.

Back