• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why I love and hate my AMD gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I really don't know.
I got rid of all my underperforming AMD stuff a long while ago, guess what, I have 5 amd rigs again!!!!!!
an a6-6600 apu rig
an a8-6600 apu rig
a 965BE rig
a 1090T rig
an FX 8350 rig.
what is it that attracts us to the loser system?

I really don't know.
I got rid of all my underperforming AMD stuff a long while ago, guess what, I have 5 amd rigs again!!!!!!
an a6-6600 apu rig
an a8-6600 apu rig
a 965BE rig
a 1090T rig
an FX 8350 rig.
what is it that attracts us to the loser system?
The knob twisting. ;)

why would it matter in the least that I can arrive at the same super pi time 10 ways to sunday???????
I can hammer all these rigs with one of my 4790K rigs, but I would rather bash my head againt the wall with my 965!!!!!!!!
I am either stupid, or nuts.............

I can say the same thing CD ...... I only have the two rigs and my lappy ...... if I need a big system I boot the FX8370 my 4770K sits un booted now about 3 months ...... :screwy: :confused: :cheers:

I moved up to AMD from oem builds. My build is a Vette to me! The more i read the more I wanna see what all the fuss is about on the intel side. I know the benches arent even comparable, but I want to see the difference in a side by side comparison ya know. Of course I really dont want to see my Chevette limp off the track either :)

I think folks learn more from amd because they get more chances to build because of the cost. You wouldnt have 5 rigs laying around if they were Intel. Maybe 2-3, and how much fun is that? Roughly 2/5 - 3/5 as much fun, thats how much! Ive still only got a couple cpus, but Im building an impressive stack of amd mobos as well. Some of them might even get an FX or better some day :)

it's not money on my end, I have a many, many core rig I can play with, and a many, many more core rig in process.
it might just be trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear, I also know that it has to do with the knobs to twist and buttons to push.
I still think deneb and thuban are to platforms that are the best for overclocking, every time I sitdown and bench they have a thing or two to show me.
with deneb you can just brute force it, gun-ho on the vcore,
thuban will not please you if you push it to hard, you have to have every thing just so with it, you find that a little much on the cpu/nb and the scores fall some,
a little tight on the ram timing, you lose a little, you can find where the scores fall while raisng the ram speed and back it off ten then do the same with each timing and just drive yourself nuts.

The knob twisting. ;)
Agreed with Scotty. I also feel when really pushing my AMD rigs there is always hope for a little more. Just the right turn of another knob and I'm able to get a few more Mhz. The two Intel chips I have 2500k and 4770k I've found are rather boring to OC. My 2500K is locked at 5.3 Ghz which it will do on Air for benching, it will not go 1 mhz higher on any type of cooling or any amount of voltage. My 4770k is great for benching but again boring and I also use my 8350 over it as a daily driver.

the Bclk/multi wall with haswell does kill the fun right on the spot.
I do like to fire up the 8350 and try to get another mgz right at the temp it starts to get unstable or get just a bit more on the 965 at 1.65 vcore.
the other thing is how the scores in the benches will scale just as you become unstable, some will still rise a little and some benches will just fre fall as you become just a little unstable.

On haswell you can set +/- about 5-10MHz from each strap on unlocked CPUs so ~95-110MHz, 120-132MHz, 160-175MHz. Sometimes more.
On haswell-e you can set about the same as on haswell.
On skylake you can set about any bclk up to 350MHz+ ( that depends from motherboard and other things ) as pcie is not linked to bclk.

Simply I see no special difference between AMD and Intel unless you get locked CPU but even then AMD has its limits between 250-300MHz what on low ratio chips is not much.

I'm not sure where is the fun in fsb/bclk overclocking when you still hit a wall much lower than you wish regardless if it's AMD or Intel and higher clock is not helping in performance anyway. At the end you overclock mainly with CPU ratio on any modern platform.

Ya, Intel overclocking seems SO boring... Just up the multiplier, up the voltage, don't touch anything else... Overclocking AMDs has always been an adventure. Tweaking voltages and frequencies and all that.

Plus, like others have said I like to support the underdog with my dollars. Part of me really wanted to go AMD for CPU and GPU this time. But here I am with an Intel/nVidia build... nVidia was a no-brainer since I primarily use Linux at home, but the Intel CPU just makes me feel a little disappointed in myself.

Going Intel is like taking a cheerleader to the prom. You're friends are impressed and you feel like you finally made it. It's nice , but not for me so much. I liked the girl I could take to the bar and shoot some pool with. And who wanted to stop for chocolate syrup and whipped cream on the way home.
That's a really bad analogy. LOL

I think most people would compare AMD to the fat, acne-ridden nerdy girl that gives 125% in the sack. Whereas Intel would be the girl that had braces and lasik and now she's a clear 9/10, but she's not really interested in effort.

Going Intel is like taking a cheerleader to the prom. You're friends are impressed and you feel like you finally made it. It's nice , but not for me so much. I liked the girl I could take to the bar and shoot some pool with. And who wanted to stop for chocolate syrup and whipped cream on the way home.
That's a really bad analogy. LOL

I think most people would compare AMD to the fat, acne-ridden nerdy girl that gives 125% in the sack. Whereas Intel would be the girl that had braces and lasik and now she's a clear 9/10, but she's not really interested in effort.
Now that sheet is funny!

Ya, Intel overclocking seems SO boring... Just up the multiplier, up the voltage, don't touch anything else... Overclocking AMDs has always been an adventure. Tweaking voltages and frequencies and all that.

It sounds like you've never really overclocked any Intel. If you raise multi and voltage but nothing else then you are missing about 95% of OC options.
I can't see that AMD ever had more interesting options than Intel ... they're only different. You can't say that limited bclk range is the only reason why AMD is so much fun and it's so much more interesting than Intel.
Most clocks on AMD are not helping in anything and there are many limitations so you stuck at something all the time. Intel boards have more OC options, many more memory tweaking options ... and many are actually affecting performance or overclocking in some way. On AMD, even in these best boards is less options and many are not helping in anything so you leave them at auto. Not to mention that many AMD boards have some issues and manufacturers don't care to solve them.

I play a lot with memory OC and on AMD it's simply no fun at all. Memory is barely scalling, CPU-NB clock is totally limited at not much above stock, HT clock is useless. There are problems with stability when you try to tweak many options. On some memory kits you simply can't pass 250 FSB or memory won't run.
Many things are only theory what doesn't work in real.

I had 2 FX rigs , got bored of both after about ~2 months and sold them some time later. In this time I made 2 guides for Gigabyte and Micron forums and one more somewhere else as Gigabyte couldn't solve issues with their own hardware.
I hit a wall in everything in about 2 weeks playing with FX. Hard to call it fun. Later I got FM2, killed 1st board in 2h and maxed out all options on 2nd board in about 1 week including memory clock. I sold it one month later as it was collecting dust and was worse for gaming than i3 ( at least titles which I was playing ).

Really the only AMD rig in last ~10 years which I liked and gave me some more fun was Kabini. I still have 2 of them, one in NAS/home server and one I gave my mother.

I see that many users are saying that AMD is more interesting for overclocking than Intel ... but really in what ? I just can't get it. Actually I see that most who say that are only raising cpu multi and cpu voltage ( not saying about guys in this thread but in general ) ... so what they can know about overclocking fun ?
I also can't get how you can support company which is releasing the same crap for 5 years and say it's great product. It's like you know they're cheating you but you are still paying them.
I like to support interesting and less popular products but AMD has nothing to offer for longer in both CPU/mobo and graphics cards. Last graphics card series are total mistake, even fanboys are not buying them.

If you want to have some more fun and be forced to use more OC options on your rigs ( regardless if it's AMD or Intel ) then you can check our competitions:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/247-The-Overclocktagon
Right now there is PCMark7 which requires many various tweaks.

Btw. I don't hate AMD regardless how it looks like. All who know me can say that I'm overclocking everything ( or you can simply check my hwbot profile with 3k+ results ).

I have probably at least a dozen AM3, AM3+ and FM2, FM2+ rigs fully built. I buy good components also. The hardware is relatively cheap new and really cheap if you scour eBay. At least in the USA. I switch rigs after I get bored like changing socks. It is fun imho. I used to be heavily into Macs but enjoy this more.

I guess my take on not touching anything is nothing else shows significant gains. Memory doesn't in most cases, cache doesn't either, so why touch it? Sure you can do it, but to what end? I like to see results when I overclock, not just bigger numbers with few to no returns.

woomack, you are the king of memory, hands down.
for some reason I just find myself with a deneb or thuban on my brain, yes the amd products have been garbage after thuban and most everything else released after the 7970 is a rebadge, Ive bought them all used so I have not been helping the team, yup, I'm an amd fanboy of the first order and bashing them is what they deserve.
I hope that whatever they bring to market in 2016 will bring out the MC hammer in me!!!!

Back